1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. craig matthew

craig matthew Member

2. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Indeed . .

You have to remember , that , the parka in question is supposed to be a copy of the one pictured in the Who's 1973 double album/picture book edition . The parka in question is cobbled together to some extent as the cuffs seem to have the original portion cut off and the fur trim on the hood looks like it has been added as it doesn't have the appearance of an M-51 fur hood . I reckon the Who had problems getting hold of an M-51 in 1973 . .

Six years later , when they shot Quadrophenia the movie , Jimmy once again is wearing another cobbled together parka , this time we see some sort of hybrid lining which , unconventionally , has been stitched into the parka shell . .

1 person likes this.
  3. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Does anyone remember the Mid-60's British Band "The Casuals" ? They moved to Italy. Paul Weller is a big fan.

4. Inks

Inks Senior member

There must have been at least a couple of different parkas used in the '73 booklet photo-shoots. A couple have Jimmy wearing one with Staff Sgt ranks without fur, most with Tech Sgt ranks and fur collar.

5. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

This is a book in Spanish that appears to cover the original era (I put the blurb into Google translate) even though the photo isn't. It looks like he is going to use that 45 as either a weapon or a frisbee!

[​IMG]

Specifications
    144 Pages
    Size: 23 x 17 cm
    Full color cover 300g laminated paper.
    Available October 15, 2010

Spanish edition of the book published in Mexico, with different front and back cover to the original edition, with more pages, more photos, and corrections of the original edition extras. The names of persons who have purchased or reserved your copy before the day September 30, 2010 will be included in the book.

Information about the book:

Aggro, Skins Reggae = TNT, is the first book written in Castilian is published in Latin America-and now in Spain, about the original Skinhead culture and its relationship with the Jamaican music, especially reggae. Research work from the beginning, when the scene was at its moment of glory.

40 years have passed since those early skinheads dancing in the clubs successes "Israelites" and "Liquidator", wearing elegant while being of the working class and defended its football teams and fought for their girls in the Reggae Wars. It's been 40 years when being Skinhead was to be a true lover of Jamaican music and not a racist absurd as some believe happened today. And this book will serve to attest

The aim of this book is to compile all the details of a time when the Skins razed in England, the time of Trojan Records, the Paki-Bashing, Running Riots, Richard Allen, the bankholidays in Margate and Brighton, the Upsetters and clear this boots and suspenders.
    And what better way to title this book "Aggro" a word that represents all youth rebellion of that era, the riots and in turn the power of music. Dynamite.

In this journey through the history of the first Skinheads we not find sociological analysis, no accusations, but to a certain complicity and love for a culture, a book for Skinheads Skinheads.

[​IMG]

Information about the author.

Rangel Ruben Gonzalez (Ruffy) was born in Houston, Texas in 1980, but has lived most of his life in Mexico. He studied Communication Sciences and has participated in various modalities related to the race; as journalism (he founded his first fanzines "Rough Times" in 1999, the most consistent publication on Jamaican music in Mexico and participated in many other fanzines and magazines nationally and internationally), radio graphic design, ("The Number One Radio "in 2005 and" Toughtest Radio "in 2008-2009) and research and documentation (with this first book), besides being in constant contact with Skinhead and Reggae scene; either traveling to other cities and countries, organizing concerts and festivals, participating in conferences on the subject (National School of Anthropology in 2008 and Faculty of Philosophy and lyrics UNAM in 2009) and documentaries (Channel 22). Over the years it has formed various bands of Jamaican music, the flagship to date: "Jamaica 69" as well as "Drunken Boots", "Group Calebs" and the sidereal experiment "Robots From The Moon". Even, he participated as a guest musician in bands like: "Riddim Cats", "Freedom", "The 4 Winds" and coordinated the backing Band of Roy Ellis (Mr Symarip) on his first visit to Mexico. Currently she holds further its relationship with the Skinhead gang with its weekly event "Put On Your Dancing Shoes" (the only club Skinhead nationwide); where Jamaican music program every Thursday.

Currently, Ruffy, lies in Mexico City, where he prepares his next book, "The Magnificent Wave"; research on the phenomenon Bluebeat and Ska in the 60s adapted in various languages and styles, recorded by musicians from all over the world, with emphasis on Mexico.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  6. grahamthemod

grahamthemod New Member

Hi, Man-of Mystery.....I am an old fart and certainly remember that we had Royals and Squires. Royals, (a brand name) as I recall were a more boxey style, either plain Gibson or Gibson brogues ( a foreign language, no doubt, to many present day "skins". Squires, on the other hand, were sleeker and had an almond toe - if they were brogues the saw-toothed welt dove into the sole at about the instep, whereas Royals continued back to the heelstock. We only ever wore black, and no fucking stupid white or red socks. (unless you were a Spurs or Gunners fan) We got them from Ravells' in the high street.

7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Well that's the area of London where I moved to, as you know, so that's why we both remember the shoes being called that.

I'm racking my brains to remember the term 'Squires jacket' for a Harrington. Maybe - just maybe - I remember that, but maybe only because you mention it now. If we did use that term it wasn't for very long.

8. Man-of-Mystery

The band that had a hit with 'Jesamine'?

1 person likes this.
  9. Man-of-Mystery

Hi. This is stretching my memory a bit. I can remember 'Royals' as a plain, American wing-tip. I had one pair in Burgundy from the Squire shop. Likewise I had one pair of black wing-tip brogues from there, and later a pair of tassel loafers (bought from my first wage packet after I dropped out of college). I can remember the Ravel chain - the brand of shoe still exists, but they don't have stores any more, I believe - but I can't remember any blokes buying shoes from there. I just assumed that all the blokes I saw wearing brogues and 'Royals' had made the trip up to Brewer Street like I did.

Coloured socks were sold at the Squire Shop; I have the impression that they were worn only towards the end of the skinhead era, into suedehead. I mainly wore black or navy socks for most of the era, coloured ones more in 1970.

Here's another item of clothing:
    Jungle Greens - Although it has been established that these came onto the surplus market as ex-US Army stock, the influence was from workwear. I remember them being referred to as Dockers, as does one other contributor to this thread, for the simple reason that a lot of working blokes on the docks wore them. Anyone else hear of them being called 'Dockers'? I can remember buying a pair in late 68 in S E London, and wearing them on a trip back up to Blackpool. All the Blackpool crowd turned up their noses at them!
    :D

10. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Here is a photo of some original rockers - in this picture they all seem to be wearing boots! As cerneabbas has said, it was pretty common. Lots of 'aspiring' rockers- ie those without a motorbike, would wear American combat jackets, donkey jackets and similar. Rockers' jeans were usually narrow and ranged from black through indigo right up to ice blue, which was very pale. I seem to recall long sleeved cardigans only buttoned at the bottom over white t-shirts. Funnily enough, based on our recent discussion, there was a heavy American influence - Rock n Roll music, Marlon Brando in The Wild One, James Dean and Gene Vincent to name but a few.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  11. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

I can see one pic where it might be staff sergeant stripes or it may be the angle the photo was taken . There are certainly more photos where it would appear that there is no fur trim . .

There were some more pictures released in more recent times that were obviously part of the same photo shoot. It maybe the case that the outdoor scenes were shot first and then the parka was altered for the indoor shots . Obviously the Who symbol on the back of the parka only appears in one shot , on the album . .

12. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Agree - our lot only wore black socks. I did see red socks but I always thought they were too obvious

13. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Check out the Grebo in the middle of the picture with , what looks like , a white helmet with polka dots on it . You wouldn't Adam and Eve it . . :satisfied:

1 person likes this.
  14. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Saw the "Northern Soul" flick.Well done.Excellent soundtrack choices.Favorite line,"It's Northern Soul not Northern Asshole"

1 person likes this.
  15. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Yes , you seem to have got a bargain , royton . .:)

16. Natty Pinstripe

Natty Pinstripe Senior member

My memory is that Ravels (first just one shop later a small chain - mens and women's) was about, but was not a shop skinheads went to. With that faction it became more popular after the "smooth" look came in - which varied from person to person. I had a mate who bought stack heel shoes there and I think I was still wearing chunky basket weave top lace ups (by Solatio ?). When I was buying Toppers, Ravels was a slightly cheaper option and alot of former mod type blokes shopped there, especially ones who married quite young which in East London was most.

17. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

Funny coincedence that, when casuals came in in the 80's they were after Italian brands. I think this look was really the end of "The Look" - not in a good way!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  18. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Agreed.When the Track Suit style arrived I thought it was Horrendous.I never changed may mind.

19. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

Have to disagree. The Casual scene blew my mind! Plus there is SO much more to it than just neon day glo sportswear. You can definitely tone it down, but still have "The look". I considered myself a "casual" much longer than I did a Skinhead. It can be a very smart look, and a lot of the sartorial mainstays of Casual can still be seen on well dressed gentlemen to this day.

1 person likes this.
  20. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I don't agree that it ended, "The Look goes on ",for some people anyway,also the Casual look wasn't just about tracksuits,trainers and tennis shirts I see Casual as a continuation of Mod through Suedehead interrupted during the 70s by the tank top,baggy trousers,, long haired nightmare.
    Also it wasn't just Italian brands it was more Continental ( European) designers,Lacoste,Adidas,Puma etc as well as Sergio Tacchini.