• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did all of you guys continue you to follow artists from your youth with their new music and new projects? What about following new kinds of music later on? or was there some kind of cut off point where you just couldn't devote a lot of time to it because of work and family.

The early 70s was Rock then I started listening to Funk in the mid 70s.Late 70s was Jazz/Funk and Lovers Rock.In the mid 80s started to like Northern,so that went on for a couple of years then Modern Soul.That has lasted me until about 5 years ago,I then went to my first 60s/70s Reggae again(after a 40 year gap)-so the chain has finished off where it started..When I am driving the Radio is tuned to Classic FM.There has not been a break from Music through 3 Marriages and upteen House moves!!!:)

ek77

Reaction score

found these on facebook... from the movie "Breaking of Bumbo" 1970
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Breaking_of_Bumbo

here´s another movie still from the "Breaking of Bumbo".. --->>

Gsvs5

Reaction score
I hear you loud and clear, mate!
smile.gif

Incidentally I've just watched 'The Culture Show' on Northern Soul. I can say a couple of things. Firstly I recognise some dance moves from the Wheel in '68, so the dancing isn't all 'Bruce Lee' moves. Secondly, whoever picked the music for that programme seems to have picked the best - there wasn't a dud among them (and I've heard plenty!).

Sandi Sheldon-You're gonna make me love you

Earl Jackson - Soul Self Satisfaction

The Exciters - Blowing up my mind

The Precisions - If this is love

Stevie Wonder - Uptight

Major Lance - It's the beat

The Supremes - Baby Love

The Vel-Vets - I got to find me somebody

The Parliaments - I wanna testify

Cobblestone - Trick me treat me

The Vibrations - Cause you're mine

7th Avenue Aviators - You should have held on

Turley Richards - I feel alright

Dobie Gray - Out on the floor

Inner City - Good Life

The Castairs - It really hurts me girl

Gil Scott-Heron - The Bottle

Jimmy Radcliffe - Long after tonight is all over

Holly St James - That's not love

Gene Chandler - There was a time

Gloria Jones - Tainted love

The Jades - I'm where It's at

Jónsi & Alex - All animals

Tobi Legend - Time will pass you by

Gsvs5

Reaction score
A lot did sound familiar,but I will not kid you that I knew them all.I got them from the BBC site
smile.gif

If it was a quiz i would have remembered about 80%.
At 56 i'm happy with that !

Why can't I remember the list at the grocers?

Last edited:

roytonboy

Reaction score
In preparation for going away to college I'd had my hair cut shorter again. (in fact, just before I started college, the barber took one look at me and without saying a word attached the number 3 clippers and gave me a crop) Late September 1973 I turned up at teacher training college the only skinhead in the place._

I only realised last night that this was forty years ago this very week. FORTY YEARS! Where did that go?

By mid November I had reached my 19th birthday and made a conscious decision to hang up my 'Bovver Boots' and say "goodbye to all that". I never lost my love of soul music, however and even did a bit if DJing later in my student life. I did it with a mate. He did a 30 minute slot of Bowie, Roxy etc. and I'd follow with half an hour of soul and so on through the evening. When we swapped over, so did all the people on the dance floor!

cerneabbas - I'd never heard of Kippax Debbie, so Googled her. Apparently she was around in the early eighties so we missed each other by about ten years. The Skinhead girl blowing her nose on the utd scarf was older than me - she's probably somebody's ever loving Granny now ........ maybe even Great Granny ........ .. Good grief, somebody come and kick this stool out from under me......

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Talking of discount shoes at Strutton Ground led me to this place in Wimpol St.
I personally have never been there,but they carry Crocket & Jones amongst others at good discounted prices I believe.Might be worth a look cerneabas?

http://www.johnrushtonshoes.com/stocked-manufacturers

John Rushton had Allen Edmonds longwings in the last time I looked. Along with various loafers - Lormoc etc.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only realised last night that this was forty years ago this very week. FORTY YEARS! Where did that go?

By mid November I had reached my 19th birthday and made a conscious decision to hang up my 'Bovver Boots' and say "goodbye to all that". I never lost my love of soul music, however and even did a bit if DJing later in my student life. I did it with a mate. He did a 30 minute slot of Bowie, Roxy etc. and I'd follow with half an hour of soul and so on through the evening. When we swapped over, so did all the people on the dance floor!

cerneabbas - I'd never heard of Kippax Debbie, so Googled her. Apparently she was around in the early eighties so we missed each other by about ten years. The Skinhead girl blowing her nose on the utd scarf was older than me - she's probably somebody's ever loving Granny now ........ maybe even Great Granny ........ .. Good grief, somebody come and kick this stool out from under me......

roytonboy...One of the people who knew her said in one post that she died in the early/mid 80s and that she was in her late twenties then...yes it is strange to think about people that we knew being grandparents of course a lot don't make old age...I had a bit of a shock the other day when I saw a picture of a bloke a couple of years older than me,i haven't seen him for years and I don't think I would have recognised him,of course it works both ways.
I don't suppose that those Preston girls would look much like they do in that picture,i hope that they don't wear the same clothes now anyway.
I have to say that I don't have a problem with getting older except for my eyesight getting worse,i probably do the classic "it was better in my day" too much,only this morning I was in the café telling the younger ( than me ) lads,to watch the Foreman v Norton fight on youtube because they haven't seen decent heavyweight boxers ,it does sound like my granddad going on about Tommy Farr.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
I thought the couple, the bloke with the bonehead cut and sideboards and his wife with henna hair, were... well... charming.

When I saw the shot of the guy walking into the club,all I kept thinking about was Jimmy Clitheroe,an old man in kids clothes.

roytonboy

Reaction score
cerneabbas - I got this from the Bluemoon web-site re: Kippax Debbie

"Kippax Debbie was puzzling, a stunning looking angelic blonde girl............. To me it was obvious she was a boy trapped in a stunning *********** and resented it. All the stories about her fighting and ability to take on grown men are true. I saw her deck men often, almost as if she had a point to prove. As she got older she became more stunning and was attracting the attention of lots of Blues............ she went out for drinks and that but come Saturdays that was all forgotten and it was back to 'Kippax Debbie'

She tried to kill herself twice before eventually jumping off a motorway bridge and dying. She was not in her forties but in her early to mid twenties - we never could find out her true age".

"Sad story BU. I remember Deb well, especially when she was hunting reds in the Kippax on Derby day, Like you say, good looking girl too.

"She loved Derby day, as did her brother Tony. Seen Debs walk the whole length of Warwick Road at the swamp (i.e Old Trafford) early 80's with a silk City scarf tied around her head like a bandana and no amount of abuse stopped her."

Not conclusive on the age thing, but I think she was a little young for the skinhead era.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cerneabbas - I got this from the Bluemoon web-site re: Kippax Debbie

"Kippax Debbie was puzzling, a stunning looking angelic blonde girl............. To me it was obvious she was a boy trapped in a stunning *********** and resented it. All the stories about her fighting and ability to take on grown men are true. I saw her deck men often, almost as if she had a point to prove. As she got older she became more stunning and was attracting the attention of lots of Blues............ she went out for drinks and that but come Saturdays that was all forgotten and it was back to 'Kippax Debbie'

She tried to kill herself twice before eventually jumping off a motorway bridge and dying. She was not in her forties but in her early to mid twenties - we never could find out her true age".

"Sad story BU. I remember Deb well, especially when she was hunting reds in the Kippax on Derby day, Like you say, good looking girl too.

"She loved Derby day, as did her brother Tony. Seen Debs walk the whole length of Warwick Road at the swamp (i.e Old Trafford) early 80's with a silk City scarf tied around her head like a bandana and no amount of abuse stopped her."

Not conclusive on the age thing, but I think she was a little young for the skinhead era.

I think that you are right she probably was too young,quite a sad story really.
Interesting to see Old Trafford called the swamp,was that because the pitch was so muddy ? I do remember seeing it muddy on tv but quite a few were like that back then,Derby for one.

stilts121

Reaction score

For the international audience, the BBC documentary "Northern soul - keep the faith" is now on youtube

Around 8:00 they're looking at some photos from Wigan and they presenter says, "You can see the mod influence," and all I see are what I think of as skinhead girls. Yes, I know I may be splitting hairs, but it's a good hair to split. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics