1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

OC embraced the mod/ska revival pretty seriously in the 80s. No Doubt was certainly influenced by that. There are still lots of elements from the original 60s English/Jamaican style that pop up in Southern California street style today -- even if it's not a purist/vintage interpretation.

I thought of 1940s US bobby-soxers/sock-hops, but does anyone know why/how white socks became popular? I picture Levis and penny loafer with white socks worns by teens the 50s, but have no idea why they came about.

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I'm glad you put the quotes round 'new'. I was aware of the term 'skinhead' at least a year before the media's moral panic about us (late 1969). It was often used as an insult, but was adopted as a jokey term. in early 1969, Chris Welch in the music press was still calling us 'mods'.

Were we aware of Jamaican and Ivy League influence? Yes and no. Mainly the stuff we wore was 'ours', never mind where it came from. I was aware that the Harrington jacket had an 'American' look, and that the shirts we bought at the Squire Shop were American. I was aware of an influence on previous mods of something called 'Ivy League', but I wasn't all that clear on what that look was - there was no internet back then! I was aware of how young West Indian lads looked when they were out on the town. Significantly, they seemed more suit-oriented and less casual than us. I don't recall seeing any great number of black lads in Sta-Prest and Harringtons, except for the handful who specifically did identify themselves as skinheads.

Like any youth movement, skinheads' biggest influence was other skinheads.

1 person likes this.
  3. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

No worries NP, I didn't think you were...funnily enough though with the ska revival I noticed that some 50's styles like Letterman sweaters, creepers etc seemed to be worn by some in the scene

4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I don't remember seeing that many West Indians wearing jeans,certainly not with turn ups.
    I don't think that white lads locally usually wore their trousers as short as jeans,but I remember seeing young West Indians wearing trousers up to their shins in the mid 70s.
    As Covskin says,2 different things happening at the same time,and I agree with his boot explanation for skinheads jeans length,I can remember putting an extra turn on my turn ups when wearing boots and turning it down when wearing shoes.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  5. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

1964 - I have a copy to hand that I bought on Ebay some months back for £20. I had not read it since around 1968 when I thought it was great that teenagers were allowed to have their say. Forty odd years later it could apply to today's youth as well

6. Man-of-Mystery

As it happens I never did this. I just wore my jeans at a fixed length (i.e. so they didn't drag on my shoes) and didn't bother to turn them up for boots. I can remember other guys doing the same as me.

7. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

No internet, obviously, but didn't shows like "Ready, Steady, Go!" spread the look far and wide back in the day? Did they capture much of the morphing of mod into skin?

As far as OC is concerned, though I'm loath to admit it, they were early adapters/embracers of punk, mod and ska. For some reason a kind of greaser component (think Social Distortion, and RFTC, from san Diego) always seemed to creep in... which I personally despise.

8. covskin

covskin Senior member

Orange County sounds great. Any links for the 'other' thread?

@cocostella too.

9. Natty Pinstripe

Natty Pinstripe Senior member

MoM, the skinhead experience would obviously depend on age. As barely a teenager with only weekend work I just managed the basics - I remember Levis, Astronauts, 2 Ben Sherman's, Harrington, I short sleeve Brutus and a Crombie (obviously not a real one - was anybody's ?). I think by the time I could afford more the Suede/Smooth look was on the go and I passed on a Barathea (?). A suit was out of the question as I was too young to get on the "never never" at the tailors.

10. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

Breaking of Bumbo full movie

1 person likes this.
  11. craig matthew

craig matthew Member

Heading down to London next month for a bit of shopping and looking for some good record stores and vintage shops if anybody can recommend anywhere
    Cheers

12. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Check out Ian Dury's revised Donkey jacket.[​IMG]
    From 1979 TOTP's vid

13. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

Check out this video at time 07:00
    The rocker beating on the mod seams to be wearing braces. Lots of kids in Donkey jackets, what year do we think this is? I see one kid in donkey jacket, white jeans, boots, but longer hair, another in donkey jacket, jeans (huge cuffs), and monk straps. Also, why aren't the other mods helping that kid?

14. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Nah fella, you can buy them with safety yellow or orange instead of black. A "mislead" friend of mine had one. So ugly, haha.

15. Natty Pinstripe

Natty Pinstripe Senior member

For London Borough workers the Day Glo panels became compulsory under Health and Safety rules. I believe Ian's one had LBTH on the back - London Borough of Tower Hamlets.

1 person likes this.
  16. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

The "Paninari" film.The opening sequence spells it all out.Notice the Burger and can of Coca Cola.

17. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

The 'skinheads' in the movie are from about 1.25. The guy with Joanna Lumley looks a bit like Boris Johnson's long lost brother!

18. Man-of-Mystery

RSG stopped in 1966, so no.

19. Man-of-Mystery

That's very true.

20. Man-of-Mystery

A better question would be why aren't they beating up the cameraman. What we have to realise about the beach fights in that era is that many of them were staged - press and film crews would slip some kids a fiver to stage a bit of a ruck. So we don't know how much of that scene at 07:00 is genuine. Also some crews tended to be parochial, and if it wasn't someone from their own manor getting jumped they would walk by. At least I heard of stuff like that.