1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Right On M.O.M. Part of what we see (not where I live its Cholo/Hip-Hop,old school) in the "Hipper" cities is the Fashion establishment using older subculture Ideas.So there are cliche Mod clothes at many Big chain stores.Lets give the kids a break.They are experimenting and make some bad mistakes but the Baby Boomers are a tough act to follow (as many younger folks on here know well)

2. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

The difference is that the model wearing Brutus didn't arrive at his unfortunate ensemble because he and his neighborhood buddies wear clothes like that. He was put into fashionable jeans and the Brutus shirt to sell units.
    Street style, as you of course know, is born in the streets. The model in the Brutus shirt was obviously told be the photographer or a Brutus rep how/what to wear.

2 people like this.
  3. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

In Australia there is a brand called Jack London that pays some lip service to mod style (i.e. thin lapels and trousers with no flare) but they still don't sell three button jackets (almost all have one button although I note they do have a four button model) or traditional button down shirts - the collars are all pretty small. Seems to appeal to hipsters who have exaggerated things now like stove pipe trousers to an almost absurd level wearing them so tight and high above the shoe (often without socks) that they just look silly - I guess it is a 'new' look of sorts though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  4. Soul Vision

Well maybe this trousers well above the shoe isn't such a new thing after all esp. in Jamaican fashion through the years (1965, 1967 and 1971 respectively). I would say though that most hipsters today go beyond these lengths both in shortness of length and tightness of fit to the point that is just looks a bit silly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. Soul Vision

As I said, looks silly!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

FFS! - somebody kick this stool out from under me..........

If this is someone's idea of a joke they've got some serious issues.

7. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Ah...NOW I see how it got into the charts..........

8. Natty Pinstripe

Natty Pinstripe Senior member

Sorry new to this - the post appears to move. But I asked if this was the young Don Letts ?

9. Soul Vision

Yes that is Don Letts, It was posted before I think, I just used it again to illustrate my point, the first photo is early Wailers with Bob Marley there and Peter Tosh, the middle one I found on the net just said 'Rude Boy, 1967'.

10. Soul Vision

Yet another "I was there" article about Northern soul.

My life as a northern soul boy: rebellion on the dancefloor in the 1970s

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/11/northern-soul-rebellion-dance-floor-paul-mason

This I hadn't heard about before though...

'Among hardcore members of the northern soul scene, it was common to see record labels tattooed on their arms and necks: Ric-Tic, OKeh and Vee-Jay. Really extreme was to get a drug brand name tattoo: “I’m a Riker liker” was one of the favourites, referring to the pharmaceutical company that made black bombers'.

I wonder what started that off?

11. Natty Pinstripe

The high mast "strides" were very much on show around 1969, especially when wearing shoes instead of boots and you had been growing (many of us in were in our early teens). In East London Levis were often hemmed with a narrow turn up, so obviously got higher as you grew. Sta Prest too were "taken up" for boots. The Jamaican "ankle swinger" style was an obvious influence in all of this and even when Dread's started to appear in numbers (1975 ?) the ankle swinger was still dominant. Meanwhile The Teds (now quite Country'n'Western influenced) where wearing drainpipes at the high water mark to show of neon colored and later lurex socks. The current what I call "Pee Wee Herman" look has just ramped it up a bit, sometimes with skinny jeans, but probably no more than than the more far out "70's Teds.

1 person likes this.
  12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I never read those Mags,M-o-M ......:D

Nice little Pic though.

13. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Actually, neither did I. There was a bloke in Blackpool indoor market who did a roaring trade in out-of-date copies of Parade and Health & Efficiency, but getting them past the Thought Police back home would have made it hardly worth the effort of sticking a copy up your sweater! Apart from anything else, I saved my pennies to get decent duds and to go out on weekends.

But yeah, it is a nice little pic.

14. covskin

covskin Senior member

What comes across most is their complete lack of 'attitude'. Their stature is stiff as a board, the whole body equivalent of the female thin-lipped selfie.

15. Natty Pinstripe

Looking at the bloke in the long johns Morrissey's "Piccadilly Palare" comes to mind !

1 person likes this.
  16. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

I was thinking the same thing!

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

This thing i suppose...
    [​IMG]
    Looks like a Franken-harrington/monkey jacket. Discontinued, for God's sake.

2 people like this.
  18. AngryYoungPoor

What a mess! Almost as bad as that Ben Sherman "HarryMac".

19. covskin

covskin Senior member

Given the recent direction of this thread, here is a modern take on things that does work for me:

[​IMG]

https://musicfameandfashion.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/gwen-stefani.jpg?w=497

Gwen Stefani of US band No Doubt, who often seems to draw on the mod/skinhead look. High fashion stage costume but done well - for me it really captures something of the skinhead girl spirit - attitude definitely not lacking.

20. AngryYoungPoor

I worked for Ben Sherman for about 8 years (I know, I know.. Haha) and the members of that band would come in often while on tour and stock up on shirts, polos, and harringtons.. Super nice, down to earth folks.