1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Jukebox Dury

Jukebox Dury Senior member

[​IMG]
    I recently acquired these boots they are solovair Englanders and I thought I'd show you lot a pic of them.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

A question for the originals.
    We know you wore "greens" in the time, but what about army overalls ?
    I ask this question because i remember an English skinhead living in France in the early 80s.
    He was around 27 at the time and pretended to be an original skinhead from 69.
    He almost always wore an army green overall ( i don't know if it was US or British army/air force overalls), with a MA-1 and 8 holes DMs.
    Was it a personal look, an 80s look, or a look that could be seen in the time, if so does it sounds familiar ? I don't remember any photographic evidence.
    Cheers

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  3. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Jungle greens - yes

Army overalls - no. At the time British Engineering was still big so a lot of lads were in Engineering apprenticeships as 'Fitters & Turners' or 'Toolmakers' and overalls were the norm for at work. However no one would have considered going any further than the chip shop in them at lunch break.

Lads at the time like myself who worked on building site, there was no work 'uniform' so we would wear Levis / Jungle Greens, DMs and Fred Perry's and would go to the pub directly after work in work cloths covered in cement / mortar into the public bar that opened at 6pm

1 person likes this.
  4. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Nice boots JD, though it is not easy to see them in the photie , they look very like my Solovair Astronauts . .:)

ETA ; had a better look now and they are quite different from the Astronauts , per the stitching. .

edited by Tom for language

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  5. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Interesting, thanks A&E. What color were these overalls ? (I'm thinking of the white or navy overalls that some football supporters worn, around the early 70s i think.)

6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

The big firm locally were Rolls Royce,their apprentices wore green overalls (boiler suits ) a similar shade to dark green harringtons,as Aces and Eights said just worn to and from work,or to the chip shop in Filton for the RR lads..the only other time that I remember seeing skinheads wear overalls was when they were working on their scooters,scooters were still big here up to about 71.

I know the army overalls and Ma1 look that you mentioned,I think that's more of an 80s scooterist look.

7. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

USAF. One piece Flight Suits were a brief fashion around 1975/76.This was a Bowie boy thing.

8. Jukebox Dury

Jukebox Dury Senior member

thanks [​IMG], I was gonna get some astronauts but didnt for some reason. what kind of "language requires an edit? [​IMG]

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I love these Sketches,are there any Books may have them in?

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

But that is a fallacy that Djs from London and the Home Counties never made it the North.They did.There was a very strong Jazz/Funk Scene in the Northern Cities.I have a Book called "The Family" that shows Photos of All-Dayers in the North(they also had these around the Country).The Djs were called The Soul Mafia and in the 70s they were commanding nearly £300 for a Session(and getting it).There would be Coach loads of "Tribes" going from the South and likewise in reverse."Crackers" was a predominately Black/Gay Club but once you became regular you were in - a bit like the Jamaican Clubs during the 60s.

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Interesting Bit about Bulent Boo Mehmet.The Dj he mentions is Froggy,now I used to go to most of his Dos in East London.He was the Dj who built his own Sound System at the age of 15(I believe).He was also instrumental in getting the Dj Friendly 12" made and started doing Remixing.The Clubs he mentioned always got good Crowds.I knew some of them.Colin Parnell who is mentioned, in the Article, does Radio Spots on the same Station as me. :)

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

That is why A&E,you got "No Work Clothes`" Signs up in City Pubs. Remember seeing them ??

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

White Boiler Suits at West Ham,worn by the Mile End( `70 ish).

14. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

White boiler suits were also worn in the Clock work Orange look, was this about 72 or 73 ?

15. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

The particularly, horrendously , foul stuff that may attract the ire of the moderators[​IMG]. .

. .although I think they are more concerned if you dis the hangar project. .

1 person likes this.
  16. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Indeed , I remember them . I think that was the first time I saw a silver boiler suit (flying suit) , which was closely followed by the silver MA1 [​IMG]

17. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

18. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I have mentioned before that a lot of lads in S E London wore MA1s in late 69 early 70, before we all grew our hair, and that I thought it had to do with the fact that a lot of MA1s came on sale in surplus shops.

19. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

I reckon , the guys who bought those MA1's in 1969 were being pragmatic , in a similar way to Mods buying those first M1948 parkas , back in the day , c1962 and of course , possibly before that by scooter boys . .

20. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member