1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

where can i get a nice fair isle sweater, or should i just learn how to knit?

That's how they did it on Fair Isle. [​IMG]

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Fair Isle was pretty big last year iirc, even mall brands like JCrew had several Fair Isle sweaters

this year not so much, but I'd imagine there'd be a bunch on ebay

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

a cool photo from 1970, when Chelsea won 2-1 in the FA cup finals....a young skinhead boy rushes onto the field. He's a lil tyke, and his jeans are selvedge (which was normal for the time) which is interesting given you'd never find child's jeans today using selvedge denim

[​IMG]

4. Ruffy_tnt

Ruffy_tnt New Member

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

^^ personally I've never liked Solatios, I think they are ghastly, even tho they are "authentic" to the early 70s suedehead/smooth look. [​IMG]

but I know there are a lot of guys who do like them, fair play and all but you'd never catch me with a pair.

6. RugbyCub

RugbyCub Active Member

Oi.......
    THIS IS PROBABLY NOT THE BEST FORUM TO ASK THIS QUESTION.... BUT LETS TRY?....

When I was a young skinhead lad in the 70's in the Midlands in good ole England..... I had a Brutus Bowling shirt..... Mine was Red, with embroidered name on it, and Rockabilly-esque graphics on the back. Had a pleated back (white gussets) and clear buttons.... white collar. When I wore this with my Crombie and Doc's (or monkey boots)I felt like the Bee's Knees... (the also came in Black, White, Royal Blue (with some reverse variants between the body color and the Collar/Vent color (white))

Well, here we are in 2009 and i want to find another one... anyone have any idea where i can find one....... seems no mention of them at all by Googling vintage.... I don't think their Bowling shirt was a really long time component of the Brutus line (the staple gingham buttondowns are being reintroduced now (at 40x what I think i got my mum to pay for my first ones in 1970).....

I will own one of these again!!!........ just you wait

7. BB1

BB1 Senior member

I already knew Get Smart was a fan of skinhead culture and styles but I didn't realize the extent until after reading all this. He is passionate about it! I can totally respect that since everyone needs something to be passionate about, yet so few people I know truly are.

8. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Just went through the whole thread. Awesome read!

My old man was in the scene through Plymouth/Liverpool/London through the 60s and 70s and i knew a little bit but it was awesome to hear all Get Smart and MoM's insight, thanks guys!

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

here's a great photo, from 70 or 71 of Admiral Ken Sound with his reggae soundsystem about to unload from a truck. whatever gig he was going to, you know it would have been full of skins/suedes [​IMG] thanks to Sounds & Pressure UK for finding this pic

10. Matt

Matt Senior member

Can anyone tell me what brand of jeans are being worn in this picture? [​IMG]
    me likes this shirt. off to a local tailor to copy tomorrow [​IMG] edit: how much fabric you guys think this'll take? doing that diagonal pattern down the button face thingy will use a lot, right?

11. sambarock

sambarock Active Member

12. Clyde

Clyde Senior member

Those Richard Allen books are pretty terrible. Only read the first three, Skinhead, Escape and I think Returns. The guy who wrote them wasn't even a skinhead but just some middle aged write from Canada. I think he did a weekend of research before he polished the first one off.

13. KD-fens

KD-fens Active Member

Big fan of this look, scene, and attitude. It's a shame more skinheads are attracted to the oi/punk part of the look and not the traditional style. Not as sharp looking as they could and should be...

14. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

While I'm not a skinhead, I do appreciate the style of early skinheads. For someone who buzzes his hair quite frequently, I sometimes look a bit harsh because of it. So I like how a lot of those guys were able to tone things down by throwing on a button down shirt and wearing a cardigan. I'm not into reggae or Ska all that much, but it's a look I could get down with, I think (perhaps minus the braces and Doc Martens). The guy below is wearing essentially what I've been wearing lately:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Man-of-Mystery

I'll be 60 in four months, Dr Huh, and I still wear the style (minus the braces and DMs) [​IMG]

16. Big Muscle

Big Muscle Senior member

Hello. How do you polish your DMs? I do spit-shine to get mirror shine, but it cracks in creases and then everything I touch gets black. Also when I stumble, the polish layer goes away and it lefts "a hole" in shine. Any tips?

17. dave

dave Senior member

I've done mine the same way for 20 years and never had any problems. just use regular old Kiwi (cordovan or black) lay it on with a polish dauber and wait about 10 minutes or so. Then I buff them with a brush and polish with an old shoe bag like there's no tomorrow. they'll shine up like a new penny and last forever.

18. Big Muscle

Big Muscle Senior member

I forgot about this topic =)
    I use black Kiwi polish and I buff it with a brush. It is ok, but it doesn't shine as good as with spit-shine.

I also have some Dr Martens Balsam but it is not so good as everyone says (no shine and it doesn't never get dry) but at least it doesn't black my turnups.

And also a question about quality of today's DMs. Everyone I know (including me) have the problem that leather cracks in creases. Different boots doesn't do it, only Martens. We have model 1919 and polish it regularly. (look at this http://img534.yfrog.com/img534/2706/dmpravazleva.jpg )

19. Man-of-Mystery

I have managed to dig out a few old snapshots from 1968.

The first one is from just before Ben Shermans really caught on - we wore plain white shirts at that stage.:
    [​IMG]

The next features a button-down shirt (I don't think it is actually a Ben) plus Harrington jacket. The pic was taken at a free concert in Hyde Park:
    [​IMG]

This one features a sheepskin, Levi Sta-Prest strides, and boots. Pic taken outside Goldsmiths College, New Cross:
    [​IMG]