• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moccasins with socks - acceptable?

Boswell

Reaction score
Is it acceptable to wear moccasins with socks? I've always worn them together, but it has recently come to my attention that not everyone approves of the combination. I don't know of his opinion is authorative, but according to Glenn O'Brien at GQ.com it is acceptable:
I always get cold feet when I’m driving, even when I’m not on the autobahn, so I would favor socks with driving moccasins. Socklessness is a fashion, not a mandate. Wearing socks with moccasins might not look right if you’re Bob Evans or Robert Goulet, but for mortals and non-Californians, I think it’s quite fine, especially if the socks are of a sporty nature.
Source Is this opinion correct? Do you agree or disagree? I should like to know, because I want to know whether or not I ought to continue wearing socks with moccasins.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No socks. I only wear mocs with shorts or linen pants.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Better without but as ever , do what you like..

Galix

Reaction score
IMO moccasins are good if you want a light and fresh sensation on hot summer days. So wearing socks you get the opposite effect.

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Boswell
Is it acceptable to wear moccasins with socks? I've always worn them together, but it has recently come to my attention that not everyone approves of the combination.

I don't know of his opinion is authorative, but according to Glenn O'Brien at GQ.com it is acceptable:

Source

Is this opinion correct? Do you agree or disagree? I should like to know, because I want to know whether or not I ought to continue wearing socks with moccasins.

well thank goodness glenn o'brien at gq approves, so i don't have to throw out all my summer ******* socks.

however, be sure to remove socks (if any) before entering thom browne store or you'll likely get shanked by the SAs.

inq89

Reaction score
I wrote something similar to this topic on my blog. But if it is casual enough in the summer time to wear moccasins, then it is casual enough to not wear socks.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My personal rule is that if your socks show when you are standing in the robo pose, you shouldn't be wearing them. Loafers, mocs - these qualify.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Personally I don't wear moccasins with trousers as I feel that loafers make for a better casual compliment. So when it comes to shorts obviously socks are no-go.

I don't think Mr. O'Brien was thinking about shorts with these statements, however. God knows if he gets a chill while driving sans socks, wearing shorts whilst driving would send him into the throws of hypothermia and lead to a nasty wreck in his assumed GQ-purchased Ferrari.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Choose whichever looks better and fits the climate better on the day. Sometimes it's a hot day, and the look works better without socks (though even then I personally still wear a pair of those "no-show socks" because I don't like my ankle getting shredded). Sometimes it's a cooler day, so but the loafers or mocs still are a pleasing choice, except I'll wear regular socks with them. I don't think it's particularly worth creating a hard & fast rule about this one. Sandals & socks, on the other hand...
biggrin.gif

Roger Everett

Reaction score
Wearing socks with moccasins is just one short dorky step below wearing white socks with sandals. People will know you are either tourist from Iowa or they just let you out for the day, to see if you can adjust to society.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger Everett
People will know you are either tourist from Iowa or they just let you out for the day, to see if you can adjust to society.

i lol'd

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads