• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moanin'

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had two people in the past few months tell me that Blakey's "Moanin'" is the best jazz song ever recorded. One was a casual jazz fan, the other was your typical music-nut-record-store-owner.

What is it about this song?

N.B. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm knocking the tune. It's one of THE testaments to hard bop. Lee Morgan's trumpet work on Moanin' is (maybe) my fav.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BTW, this live cut of Moanin' with Freddie Hubbard and Wayne Shorter is great:

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. I don't know how anybody figures out what the best jazz song recorded was. Maybe their favorite.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
I like it. I don't know how anybody figures out what the best jazz song recorded was. Maybe their favorite.
Me neither. There isn't really a best. But, these two folks were quite adamant in their belief that it's the best.

Modernist

Reaction score
I don't know, but I'm kind of obsessed with that tune lately myself. I don't think that it's the best. I don't think that there is such a thing. But definitely one of the great ones.

Perhaps it has something to do that there are so many great covers, besides the original one. Ronda Scott, Jimmy Smith, Wes Montgomery, etc. And I love the riff. It's so simple, yet so great.

And of course, sometimes people proclaim their favourites things to be the best....

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OH I THoUGHT THIS THRAD WAS ABOUT ME BANGING YOUR MOM

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I downloaded a version that got cut from the album, and the arpeggios at the end blow my mind every time I hear them.

Still not the greatest jazz song of all time. I'm guessing they've never heard So What, and I'm not even a Miles fan.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BTW, there can be no discussion of best without Oscar Peterson Trio's "Chicago" off of Live from Chicago, 1961.
teacha.gif

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
BTW, this live cut of Moanin' with Freddie Hubbard and Wayne Shorter is great:

Thanks for the link. I was only familiar with the Wes Montgomery version.

Modernist

Reaction score
Rhoda Scott:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

poppies

Reaction score
I don't know if it's the best jazz song ever, but the album is certainly great, and my personal art blakey fave is the drum thunder suite

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads