• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MLB umps

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, Victorino got tossed from the Phillies game, from center field! A half inning earlier the home plate ump blew a call with Howard. He called him out on strikes with a pitch that was almost in the dirt. Then he called it a ball for Helms (very similar pitch) so Victorino threw his arms up in center field and got tossed. That was a ridiculous call and makes me question umpires sometimes. What do you guys think of the situation?

thetieguy

Reaction score
The umps sucked in that situation. It is a hard game to judge but they make a lot of mistakes.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought it was bullshit, but I am biased.

Would have had no problem, though, if a warning was issued to Vic.

DBoon

Reaction score
Ron Cherry is the most marsupialed official in sports. But baseball umps can be moronic. I can't wait until I'm an old man and it's all digital.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
Ron Cherry is the most marsupialed official in sports. But baseball umps can be moronic. I can't wait until I'm an old man and it's all digital.

Bob Costas will never let that happen.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Thought it was bullshit, but I am biased.

Would have had no problem, though, if a warning was issued to Vic.

As am I. I'm from the Philly burbs as well but that was complete bs. Something looks really fishy there don't you think? Victorino was hitting well and got tossed. The umps blew a lot of obvious calls. I dunno just seems odd.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't so much mind that MLB umps miss a call now and then, but ****! Some of them really have attitudes. Like they're looking for a fight.

Baseball is supposed to be a serene sport, lit in the golden tones of sundown, and played by gentlemen.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I don't so much mind that MLB umps miss a call now and then, but ****! Some of them really have attitudes. Like they're looking for a fight.

Baseball is supposed to be a serene sport, lit in the golden tones of sundown, and played by gentlemen.

Yea I understand that some are going to make mistakes but they also need to deal with players voicing their opinion on ****** calls. Some of these guys are out of control.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
Yea I understand that some are going to make mistakes but they also need to deal with players voicing their opinion on ****** calls. Some of these guys are out of control.

You know, there are some Umps in the Hall of Fame. I don't know if any other sport puts officials in their hall of fame, maybe Mills Lane in boxing, that's about it.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As am I. I'm from the Philly burbs as well but that was complete bs. Something looks really fishy there don't you think? Victorino was hitting well and got tossed. The umps blew a lot of obvious calls. I dunno just seems odd.

Seemed like Rollins had a similar reaction to Vic; guess we were lucky they didn't both get tossed. I dunno, mistakes will happen, but I agree with Dakota rube - umps should be looking to diffuse situations, not create them. Fans are there to see the players, not the umps.

Even more bothersome was the refusal to review Dobbs' 11th inning potential home run over the foul pole vs. the Red Sox earlier this year. Replay was instituted for home runs, but the ump decided that he made the right call and didn't need to take a look. Really? They need to institute a system similar to the NFL with challenges.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Seemed like Rollins had a similar reaction to Vic; guess we were lucky they didn't both get tossed. I dunno, mistakes will happen, but I agree with Dakota rube - umps should be looking to diffuse situations, not create them. Fans are there to see the players, not the umps.

Even more bothersome was the refusal to review Dobbs' 11th inning potential home run over the foul pole vs. the Red Sox earlier this year. Replay was instituted for home runs, but the ump decided that he made the right call and didn't need to take a look. Really? They need to institute a system similar to the NFL with challenges.

Yea from what I can tell umps are on serious power trips. They must have been those kids in school that always got picked on and now feel the need to abuse their power just like cops lol.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not going to hate on the umps here. I think they do a pretty good job, all things considered. What I think people fail to realize is that all these guys know each other, so there's always a backstory we may not understand.

They make mistakes; they make a lot of mistakes, but by and large they do a damned good job. Particularly in a sport like baseball, where the judging of every single pitch is so crucial to the game.

Electronically called balls and strikes is the dumbest idea I have ever heard, and would kill baseball.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I'm not going to hate on the umps here. I think they do a pretty good job, all things considered. What I think people fail to realize is that all these guys know each other, so there's always a backstory we may not understand.

They make mistakes; they make a lot of mistakes, but by and large they do a damned good job. Particularly in a sport like baseball, where the judging of every single pitch is so crucial to the game.

Electronically called balls and strikes is the dumbest idea I have ever heard, and would kill baseball.

Why would it kill baseball? Anything that can bring accuracy and consistency to baseball is a good thing. Think of how many games have been blown to bad calls from umps. It gets frustrating for fans.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why would it kill baseball? Anything that can bring accuracy and consistency to baseball is a good thing. Think of how many games have been blown to bad calls from umps. It gets frustrating for fans.

There are literally hundreds of calls that have to be made in a game, sometimes a thousand. The sheer scale of it says calls will be blown.

Deal with it.

Can't remember the stat but in one of my books there is a quote that in a typical game, if an ump gets 98% of all calls right, they will still get more than 7 wrong. That's a pretty high number.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
There are literally hundreds of calls that have to be made in a game, sometimes a thousand. The sheer scale of it says calls will be blown.

Deal with it.

Can't remember the stat but in one of my books there is a quote that in a typical game, if an ump gets 98% of all calls right, they will still get more than 7 wrong. That's a pretty high number.

The problem is the 7 they get wrong. They have a 98% rating on calling check swings or catcher's interferance. When those dummies blew that Tony Tarasco call in the Yankee's/O's series where that kid reached over and bascially crushed my dreams of an Orioles world title....well that falls in the 7.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads