1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MLB 2009 - 2010 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by ama, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

That's because baseball people have traditionally been retarded. If you were a GM, would you pick players based on wins, or based on stats like WHIP and ERA+?

Probably wins. ERA and WHIP can be just as deceiving.

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

trust me wins are overrated and not as deceiving as ERA and WHIP... just take Dice K's 18win season... he rode the back of a great offense with numerous barely over 5inn, tons of walks, 100+ pitch games.

wins still are very nice though. its a prestige stat. like hitting over 300 will always be.

my favorite stat to hate is errors. its like being called for charging/blocking foul in the NBA. sometimes a outfielder takes and atrocious line to a flyball and has to dive and barely misses a catch... its looked at as a great effort no error... but and infielder bobbles a bad hop and its still all his fault and he's charged with an error.

3. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

trust me wins are overrated and not as deceiving as ERA and WHIP... just take Dice K's 18win season... he rode the back of a great offense with numerous barely over 5inn, tons of walks, 100+ pitch games.

wins still are very nice though. its a prestige stat. like hitting over 300 will always be.

my favorite stat to hate is errors. its like being called for charging/blocking foul in the NBA. sometimes a outfielder takes and atrocious line to a flyball and has to dive and barely misses a catch... its looked at as a great effort no error... but and infielder bobbles a bad hop and its still all his fault and he's charged with an error.

FWIW if you take the top 10 in either category 8 will probably be in the other. I just feel that wins tell more about a pitcher than his ERA. You mentioned errors above, which can create unearned runs that don't count against a pitchers ERA.

4. brimley

brimley Senior member

FWIW if you take the top 10 in either category 8 will probably be in the other. I just feel that wins tell more about a pitcher than his ERA. You mentioned errors above, which can create unearned runs that don't count against a pitchers ERA.

Pitchers w/ top 10 ERA who also had top 10 or 11 (ties) wins:

2009: only 4 of top 11 NL, 7 of top 11 AL
    2008: 7/11 NL, 6/10 AL
    2007: 6/11 NL, 5/10 AL

That's just barely half (.55)

5. ama

ama Senior member

Wrong answer... Wins just mean that a pitch got some run support, ERA and WHIP tell you how he performs.

New Twins stadium opened today. Finally, outdoor baseball is back! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I'll just say this and I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I'd rather have the top 5 guys in wins than the top 5 guys in ERA....except for Timmy L. in the NL----[​IMG]

Also, its only a week into the season and Milton Bradley already feels pressure?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5079777

Oh yes, the season is over M's fans.

7. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Angels fans have been hearing Brandon Wood this and Brandon Wood that for years now.

Lets hear it some more, hes batting like .080 and K's every two at bats.

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Milton Bradley 3 run jack.

9. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I'll just say this and I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I'd rather have the top 5 guys in wins than the top 5 guys in ERA....except for Timmy L. in the NL----[​IMG]

There is really no way to defend your statement using any kind of thought-out logic. Though Jerry Manual and Omar Minaya would agree with you. Unfortunately.

10. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Milton Bradley 3 run jack.

He's batting over .100 now. Division wrapped up.

There is really no way to defend your statement using any kind of thought-out logic. Though Jerry Manual and Omar Minaya would agree with you. Unfortunately.

What?? I would defend it but many times I just too lazy to get into some long drawn out arguement. Win by actions not by arguement.

The 48 laws.

11. ama

ama Senior member

He's batting over .100 now. Division wrapped up.

[​IMG]

12. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Well, Jeff Passan just said the O's season is over. Wow, well at least I have the memories of the 2010 season. On to 2011.

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Well, Jeff Passan just said the O's season is over. Wow, well at least I have the memories of the 2010 season. On to 2011.

If you guys are having a fire sale, Seattle will gladly take Adam Jones back.

14. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

If you guys are having a fire sale, Seattle will gladly take Adam Jones back.

They're already talking about not offering him a long term contract. Only Angelos.

15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Concerned this is going to be the season that injuries beat the Phillies. Blanton hurt in spring training, Lidge still not healthy, Rollins out for at least a month...

But I'll enjoy being 7-1 against the Nats and Astros for now.

16. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I really like J.A. Happ, I have for a while now. The Mets look worse than I thought they'd be, if that's even possible. The Phils should have the division wrapped up, but I don't think they could take out the Card if its a short series.

17. ama

ama Senior member

The Phils will be late bloomers this year.

18. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Liriano's slider was sick today... against righties lefties and anyone in the box.

19. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I'd like to take this space to report that the Mets won a game.

20. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I'd like to take this space to report that the Mets won a game.

i love that you can still walk up to citi field and buy tickets. its a weird stadium... kinda like candlestick where there is a cold ass breeze on the upper levels.