• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MLB 2009 - 2010 Season Thread

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
slopho isn't a Phils fan, he's an O's fan, which is like being a Phils fan before a few years ago.

I think they made out great getting Oswalt, assuming he's healthy enough to be effective. I like Happ and think he got shafted in Philadelphia, but if you watch him pitch he seems as lucky as he is good, and he's already been hurt a few times. His real value is being a cheap midrotation guy for a few years. The prospects are a crapshoot.

In hindsight they should have kept Lee, and I was miserable when they dealt him (in what seemed like a money motivated more), but even without him the Phils looked like a powerhouse this year. Considering the standings now, it made sense to go all in and forget saving the Lee money.

Also, as dcg says, they'll have Oswalt (and Halladay, and Hamels) next year, and they almost certainly wouldn't have given Lee the 2011 contract he wants/deserves.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I may have misspoke earlier saying that a package of Lee for Happ was available last year. So Lee was with the Phillies and they were looking to add Halladay and I believe one of the early names mentioned was J.A. Happ, they ended up sending Drabek instead.

Sorry for the confusion.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So its just one start for Roy right?? What did Happ do toni....oh, 6 innings of shut out ball against a quality line up.

I don't mean to say I told you so but....

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Been a very frustrating season for a Dodger fan. Lackluster offense from the start. Up and down starters, up and down bullpen. Lack of execution. Manny injured way too much (like him or not, he sparks the team). If I knew how to find the stat, I'd wager money that they've given up an overwhelming majority of runs scored to opponents with two outs. Strange division, too. The Padres should not be where they are. The Giants aren't tough either. And even though we are still statistically speaking, killing the West, and started great against these teams we have been consistently losing ground on them. Urg.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiddleClassDude
Been a very frustrating season for a Dodger fan. Lackluster offense from the start. Up and down starters, up and down bullpen. Lack of execution. Manny injured way too much (like him or not, he sparks the team). If I knew how to find the stat, I'd wager money that they've given up an overwhelming majority of runs scored to opponents with two outs. Strange division, too. The Padres should not be where they are. The Giants aren't tough either. And even though we are still statistically speaking, killing the West, and started great against these teams we have been consistently losing ground on them. Urg.

The Dotel trade is baffling to me. They may have given up on JMac, but they gave him up for nothing. It's another example of poor trading strategy by Colletti. Benefit for this season is marginal, but options for the future are diminished. Prospects who could be used in a trade for an impact player are used instead in smaller deals for questionable PVLs. On top of that, those veterans, often acquired in the final year of their K, walk at the end of the season without receiving arbitration, and the Dodgers are left without any compensating draft picks. The result is a big league club with holes that can't be filled by a depleted farm or impact free agents too costly for the financially challenged McCourt. I shudder to think of what the lineup looks like in 2011.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bdc and other Angel fans report in!

I think Bourjos in center covers more ground than Rivera, Hunter and Abreu combined........

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing stat: Jim Edmonds who made his debut in 1993 can still play center field and has a .270 avg.

More amazing stat: Ichiro Suzuki is playing after giving Edmonds an 8 year head start has over 200 more career hits.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ichiro is my favorite non-Phillie. Gets lots of hits, has a cannon, hilarious quotes. What's not to like?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Yankees really made out at the deadline. Getting Berkman, Wood, and some other deadweight for nothing but a bag of cash was a coup.

I liked the Phil's trade. They needed starting pitching. They needed to energize the base. They needed a boost into the playoffs. I think Oswalt will give them that. Certainly more than Happ.

Can someone explain to me how the Rangers took on $15mil in salary when they're in ******* bankruptcy?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't look to hard, because the "syringes/codpiece" might poke you in the eye
steroids2.jpg

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Phillies blew a 2 run lead tonight. I have a friend who bartends at a stadium bar down there, and after a story he told me about philly fans I'm glad they lost.

The Phillies are the new Yankees.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Uh games not ovah

Pete, would you say Oswalt got shelled for two runs over 6.1 innings or that he got rocked for two runs over 6.1 innings?

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Pete, would you say Oswalt got shelled for two runs over 6.1 innings or that he got rocked for two runs over 6.1 innings?

I wouldn't say anyone got shelled or rocked for 2 runs over 6.1, but I'd say someone got shelled or rocked for 6 runs over 2.1 innings...

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chipper Jones
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads