MLB 2009 - 2010 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by ama, Mar 9, 2010.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Looks like most of America doesn't share your sentimentality.... Why would anyone be a fan of the yankees? 2/3rds of that team are FA's.

Thankfully I haven't used the opinion of America's majority as a barometer for any of my sentimentalities.

2. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Thankfully I haven't used the opinion of America's majority as a barometer for any of my sentimentalities.

Cause if America used yours we'd all be rooting for the Twins and Marlins.

3. MetroStyles

Cause if America used yours we'd all be rooting for the Twins and Marlins.

No, the point is you pick your team when you are young and you stick with them, unless there are circumstances that warrant switching (e.g. the team moves cities, ownership completely gives up on winning for a decade or more, etc.).

4. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

No, the point is you pick your team when you are young and you stick with them, unless there are circumstances that warrant switching (e.g. the team moves cities, ownership completely gives up on winning for a decade or more, etc.).

If only athletes felt the same way. Johnny Damon and Carlos Beltran would be playing along side Billy Butler and they may have had a chance to win.

Or, you could roll the dice. Delmon Young for Matt Garza seemed at first like a loss for TB. Now its pretty much break even or advantage TB depending on how much you live in the moment.

5. MetroStyles

If only athletes felt the same way. Johnny Damon and Carlos Beltran would be playing along side Billy Butler and they may have had a chance to win.

Or, you could roll the dice. Delmon Young for Matt Garza seemed at first like a loss for TB. Now its pretty much break even or advantage TB depending on how much you live in the moment.

Well athletes will never feel the same way. And if fans felt like athletes, fans would no longer exist. The business is built on the arbitrage of emotion-driven fan loyalty and cash-driven team/player decisions.

6. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Well athletes will never feel the same way. And if fans felt like athletes, fans would no longer exist. The business is built on the arbitrage of emotion-driven fan loyalty and cash-driven team/player decisions.

There's an old baseball story and I think it goes like this:

There's a GM and a manager of a last place team, and the GM is telling the manager about all the letters and phone calls he's been getting about how to better run the team. The GM tells the manager:

"This fan says your should move Smith from 1st base to 3rd, and Jones should be in the bullpen and not the rotation, and other thinks Williams could use another year in the minors."

The manager turns to the GM and says:

"Sir, if you keep listening to the fans you'll find yourself sitting with them."

7. MrG

MrG Senior member

FWIW, I'm with Metro - one of the biggest reasons Chipper Jones is my favorite player is because he's been so willing to do things to help the team. Between moving to LF, restructuring his contract to save payroll, etc, Chipper has proved more than once that he's not a merc.

It's also a big reason Brian McCann is probably my second-favorite - he's shown similar tendencies and loyalty.

I know the Yankees have more fans than Jesus, but I don't really care. I think they're bad for baseball. I also know that loyal players who spend all/most of their career in one place are relatively rare, but I'm just sentimental enough about baseball to be a sucker for it.

8. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

FWIW, I'm with Metro - one of the biggest reasons Chipper Jones is my favorite player is because he's been so willing to do things to help the team. Between moving to LF, restructuring his contract to save payroll, etc, Chipper has proved more than once that he's not a merc.

It's also a big reason Brian McCann is probably my second-favorite - he's shown similar tendencies and loyalty.

I know the Yankees have more fans than Jesus, but I don't really care. I think they're bad for baseball. I also know that loyal players who spend all/most of their career in one place are relatively rare, but I'm just sentimental enough about baseball to be a sucker for it.

There was a good article not too long ago where Cal Ripken talked about staying in Baltimore through all the losing of the late 80's and early 90's. He got his chance again, but they failed in the mid 90's. What year have the Braves been truly out of it though while Chipper has been there?? Not many I would guess, the only person you should be a big fan of is Bobby Cox.

9. MrG

MrG Senior member

There was a good article not too long ago where Cal Ripken talked about staying in Baltimore through all the losing of the late 80's and early 90's. He got his chance again, but they failed in the mid 90's. What year have the Braves been truly out of it though while Chipper has been there?? Not many I would guess, the only person you should be a big fan of is Bobby Cox.

I've always felt bad for Dale Murphy for similar reasons. The dude stuck out some atrocious years with the Braves only to miss the start of their run.

As for Chipper, guys that do this in order to help the team are pretty solid in my book (article is from 12/05):

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...mlb&id=2245396

Plus, he's struggling this year and talking about retiring if he doesn't come around, ostensibly so that he doesn't eat up payroll as dead weight (he's under contract until 2012).

The Braves haven't been to the postseason since 2005, so it's been four years.

Chipper also switched positions in 2002 to open up space for Vinny Castilla.

Yes, he spent most of his career playing during the Braves' best years, but he has also shown a willingness to do a lot to help the team. The fact is, he could have made more money and gained a lot more acclaim playing in a bigger market, but he's remained loyal to the Braves. I think that's pretty cool.

Also, Bobby Cox is The Man, but I was talking about players.

10. ama

ama Senior member

Hmmm, that is not what the people in MN thought. We knew Garza was good, but he was a headcase, couldn't pitch in the Dome. I'm just happy that Delmon is finally coming around.

+1, I'm a huge homer, wouldn't dream of rooting for another team. One of the biggest reasons is that the Twins kept their players and contniue doing that today. Their roster is recognizable and it helps the fans connect to them. They have also had a number of players like, Chipper, that have taken less money to stick with the team, Joe Mauer being the latest example. Stuff like that is just awesome. Really makes me want to support the players and the orginization.

11. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Hmmm, that is not what the people in MN thought. We knew Garza was good, but he was a headcase, couldn't pitch in the Dome. I'm just happy that Delmon is finally coming around.

+1, I'm a huge homer, wouldn't dream of rooting for another team. One of the biggest reasons is that the Twins kept their players and contniue doing that today. Their roster is recognizable and it helps the fans connect to them. They have also had a number of players like, Chipper, that have taken less money to stick with the team, Joe Mauer being the latest example. Stuff like that is just awesome. Really makes me want to support the players and the orginization.

[​IMG] That's what the people in TB thought about Young. Remember he was being compared to Albert Belle, in the good ways, but once he threw a bat at the ump in Durham he had to go.

12. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Angels about to drop 6 of 7 to go 8 1/2 back in August. I'm going to skip over the panic button and just throw up the flag.

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Angels about to drop 6 of 7 to go 8 1/2 back in August. I'm going to skip over the panic button and just throw up the flag.

still what about a team like the redsox who will probably win around 94 games and not even make the playoffs.

i've thrown up my flag too, but watch the sawx anyway.

14. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Phils prospect Dom Brown called up with Victorino out. Interesting. Only 3.5 back of the Bravos at this point.

15. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Phils prospect Dom Brown called up with Victorino out. Interesting. Only 3.5 back of the Bravos at this point.

Time to initiate operation Philly-fail!