• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MLB 2009 - 2010 Season Thread

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
He improved towards the end of last season. I agree though, this is his year to prove or disprove himself.

Had history really played itself out like its supposed to the Devilrays would have had Baldelli in Center, Crawford in Left and Young in Right. That would have been a great outfield. I always thought that the move that sent Young to the Twins was a win for TB.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Um. Yeah.

I meant the day it was announced.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I expect the Royals to ride Zack Greinke's greatness to a 4th place finish in the Al Central this year.
zack-greinke-royals-iconphotostwo266274-mlb-apr-29-blue.jpg

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I expect the Royals to ride Zack Greinke's greatness to a 4th place finish in the Al Central this year.

zack-greinke-royals-iconphotostwo266274-mlb-apr-29-blue.jpg

yep, but what can you do? Trade him? I think KC is getting closer anyway. Good seasons from Butler and if Gordon could stay healthy...you never know.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i will bet a ball that reyes' thyroid issue is due to gh and t3.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Gordon broke his thumb. He's out for awhile. He's been disappointing. The Royals locked up Zack for a long term contract before last season so they've got him at a great value. But Zack is notoriously weird and prone to fall off the deep end at any time. If you told me today that Zack Greinke would be managing a bowling alley within two season I'd believe you. They won't trade him unless the Yankees, Mets, or Red Sox give up their entire farm systems. The owner would get run out if they did. The Royals are a power hitting corner-outfielder, a competent shortstop and a decent third starter away from the playoffs. Hell could freeze sometime in the next 2-3 years if the owner spent a bit more money to acquire players. It seems we're the team where great players mature before going somewhere else (Beltran, Damon, Dye, Cone) or where washed up players go to collect final paychecks (see: entire rosters 2004-2008)

I do think our home uniforms are some of the greatest in baseball. That's what really matters.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
I meant the day it was announced.

I'm not following you. But the deal was a broad-daylight robbery by the Rays.

November 28, 2007: Traded by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays with Brendan Harris and Jason Pridie to the Minnesota Twins for Eduardo Morlan (minors), Jason Bartlett and Matt Garza.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Gordon broke his thumb. He's out for awhile. He's been disappointing. The Royals locked up Zack for a long term contract before last season so they've got him at a great value. But Zack is notoriously weird and prone to fall off the deep end at any time. If you told me today that Zack Greinke would be managing a bowling alley within two season I'd believe you. They won't trade him unless the Yankees, Mets, or Red Sox give up their entire farm systems. The owner would get run out if they did. The Royals are a power hitting corner-outfielder, a competent shortstop and a decent third starter away from the playoffs. Hell could freeze sometime in the next 2-3 years if the owner spent a bit more money to acquire players. It seems we're the team where great players mature before going somewhere else (Beltran, Damon, Dye, Cone) or where washed up players go to collect final paychecks (see: entire rosters 2004-2008)

I do think our home uniforms are some of the greatest in baseball. That's what really matters.

All of this is true. Also I would add that Kauffman stadium is the most beautiful stadium in baseball. Isn't it Jose Rosado who is managing a bowling alley now? One of the best pitched games I had ever seen was KC vs. Baltimore. Jose Rosado vs. Sidney Ponson. The game ended in a 1-0 victory for the O's(low hits and walk to boot). The only reason I remember this game is because in my fantasy league I had both guys starting.

closetmess

Reaction score
Well..might as well ask SF to recommend me 5 keepers for fantasy...

Dunn
Hamilton
Pence
B. Roberts
Rios
M. Tejada
Wells
Burnett
Kershaw

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by closetmess
Well..might as well ask SF to recommend me 5 keepers for fantasy...

Dunn
Hamilton
Pence
B. Roberts
Rios
M. Tejada
Wells
Burnett
Kershaw

B. Roberts - Gets on base a lot and will have a good opportunity to score a lot of runs with both Jones and Markakis hitting behind him

Pence - Plays in a band box

M. Tejada - Has moved from one band box to another.

Kershaw - I like his K potential

...and I guess Hamilton.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Isn't it Jose Rosado who is managing a bowling alley now?
Probably. Most former Royals don't make enough in the bigs to retire on.
laugh.gif
. That guy had a beautiful motion though. The funny thing is that Greinke has had two good starts in spring training and everyone in Kansas City is so excited. He pitched 3 scoreless innings this week and it led the local news. People are completely aware that it was possible he came back and just completely lost it. He still might. He's baseball's version of Ricky Williams. The K is a nice stadium, but many people are frustrated they didn't build one downtown. KC's downtown is undergoing a transformation like Baltimore has had and it would have helped momentum ala Camden. The dickbag owner knew he could get state money to renovate but he'd have to spend his own money for a downtown stadium.
ffffuuuu.gif
The guy is the biggest cheapskate in baseball and the value of the franchise has more than tripled since 2000 when he bought it and he's put next to nothing into it from a player or stadium standpoint. I think they made a movie about it starring Charlie Sheen at some point.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
The Royals are in stiff competition with the Mets for "worst-run organization in professional sports", but I think the Royals are winning.

BossTweed

Reaction score
^^ Prior to MacPhail, the O's certainly would've been in the running.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
The Mets are worse if general management is the metric.

Mets Payrolls (MLB rank)

2005 $101,000,000 (3)
2006: $101,000,000 (5)
2007: $120,000,000 (4)
2008: $138,000,000 (3)
2009: $149,000,000 (2)

$609,000,000 total

Royals Payrolls

2005: $36,000,000 (29)
2006: $47,000,000 (26)
2007: $67,000,000 (22)
2008: $58,000,000 (24)
2009: $81,000,000 (15)

$289,000,000 total

Wins

Mets
2005: 83
2006: 97
2007: 88
2008: 89
2009: 72

429 total

Royals

2005: 56
2006: 62
2007: 69
2008: 75
2009: 65

327 total

Mets: $1,419,000 per win
Royals: $883,000 per win

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads