1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MLB 2009 - 2010 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by ama, Mar 9, 2010.

1. dcg

dcg Senior member

Happ was always part of the deal from that start from what I've heard. Phils actually gave up less than what I had been hearing in recent rumors (Singleton), and managed to keep all their minor league pitchers. Gose (Michael Bourne 2.0?) is about their 4th rated prospect (3rd if you don't count Brown anymore). Villar probably isn't anything special.

2. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    It looks like the NL East just got a little tougher.

I don't think it's the end of the world for the rest of the division (read: Braves), though. I still like the Braves' chances. I'm also kind of hoping Frank Wren has something up his sleeve.

3. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Srs?

Seriously insane!! This team rises and sinks with Happ. They won't be Happ...y with the results of this trade.

4. dcg

dcg Senior member

~12 starts for Oswalt over the rest of the regular season; probably worth about 2 wins over what Happ would have given. Division is still wide open.

5. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Word is Oswalt will start tomorrow in Washington. Regret not getting tickets [​IMG]

Seriously insane!! This team rises and sinks with Happ. They won't be Happ...y with the results of this trade.

You need to master the sarcasm meter. (0)

6. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Word is Oswalt will start tomorrow in Washington. Regret not getting tickets [​IMG]

You need to master the sarcasm meter. (0)

No. I really like J.A. I think they could have had Cliff Lee last year for the same package I'm assuming. You get an older guy, and honestly I'm not too impressed by Oswalt.

So you could have had a guy who is currently 9-4 with a sub 3.00 ERA in the AL but instead you have a guy with a 6-12 record and a 3.42 ERA in the NL. Nope, Phillies should have kept the kid.

J.A. Happ for Miguel Tejada would have won you guys the division. He's not done, but he's got no one hitting in front or behind him in Baltimore. He could use a change and Philly needs a 3rd baseman like nobody's business..

7. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

ruben amaro can suck a mile of cock.

8. kwiteaboy

kwiteaboy Senior member

Why are you all talking like the Phillies got screwed here? Happ's good, but he's not that good, and Oswalt plus $11mil is a great deal for the Phillies. Amaro finally made a good trade.

9. dcg

dcg Senior member

Why are you all talking like the Phillies got screwed here? Happ's good, but he's not that good, and Oswalt plus $11mil is a great deal for the Phillies. Amaro finally made a good trade.
    It's not that this was a bad deal so much as it's the fact that the Phils would have been much better off keeping Lee (I'll take him over Oswalt, plus they'd have had him the whole year, plus they'd still have Happ). So, a good deal that doesn't quite make up for the deal he totally blew in the offseason. Worth noting that this deal gives 1.5 years of Oswalt vs. the 1 year of Lee they would have had. In fairness to Ruben, the Lee deal (the one that brought him to Philly) was a good trade as well, so this is not the first. Everyone just remembers the really shitty one. Hell, the Mariners made out much better then the Phils in terms of prospects for Lee, plus they got to have him half of the year. I'm sad to see Happ go. Good player and a good guy, by all accounts. I feel badly for him.

10. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

have you ever known a happy philadelphia sports fan?

no such thing.

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

slopho isn't a Phils fan, he's an O's fan, which is like being a Phils fan before a few years ago.

I think they made out great getting Oswalt, assuming he's healthy enough to be effective. I like Happ and think he got shafted in Philadelphia, but if you watch him pitch he seems as lucky as he is good, and he's already been hurt a few times. His real value is being a cheap midrotation guy for a few years. The prospects are a crapshoot.

In hindsight they should have kept Lee, and I was miserable when they dealt him (in what seemed like a money motivated more), but even without him the Phils looked like a powerhouse this year. Considering the standings now, it made sense to go all in and forget saving the Lee money.

Also, as dcg says, they'll have Oswalt (and Halladay, and Hamels) next year, and they almost certainly wouldn't have given Lee the 2011 contract he wants/deserves.

12. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I'm sorry, I may have misspoke earlier saying that a package of Lee for Happ was available last year. So Lee was with the Phillies and they were looking to add Halladay and I believe one of the early names mentioned was J.A. Happ, they ended up sending Drabek instead.

Sorry for the confusion.

13. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

So its just one start for Roy right?? What did Happ do toni....oh, 6 innings of shut out ball against a quality line up.

I don't mean to say I told you so but....

14. WorkingClassDude

WorkingClassDude Senior member

Been a very frustrating season for a Dodger fan. Lackluster offense from the start. Up and down starters, up and down bullpen. Lack of execution. Manny injured way too much (like him or not, he sparks the team). If I knew how to find the stat, I'd wager money that they've given up an overwhelming majority of runs scored to opponents with two outs. Strange division, too. The Padres should not be where they are. The Giants aren't tough either. And even though we are still statistically speaking, killing the West, and started great against these teams we have been consistently losing ground on them. Urg.

15. bcate3

bcate3 Senior member

Been a very frustrating season for a Dodger fan. Lackluster offense from the start. Up and down starters, up and down bullpen. Lack of execution. Manny injured way too much (like him or not, he sparks the team). If I knew how to find the stat, I'd wager money that they've given up an overwhelming majority of runs scored to opponents with two outs. Strange division, too. The Padres should not be where they are. The Giants aren't tough either. And even though we are still statistically speaking, killing the West, and started great against these teams we have been consistently losing ground on them. Urg.

The Dotel trade is baffling to me. They may have given up on JMac, but they gave him up for nothing. It's another example of poor trading strategy by Colletti. Benefit for this season is marginal, but options for the future are diminished. Prospects who could be used in a trade for an impact player are used instead in smaller deals for questionable PVLs. On top of that, those veterans, often acquired in the final year of their K, walk at the end of the season without receiving arbitration, and the Dodgers are left without any compensating draft picks. The result is a big league club with holes that can't be filled by a depleted farm or impact free agents too costly for the financially challenged McCourt. I shudder to think of what the lineup looks like in 2011.

16. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Bdc and other Angel fans report in!

I think Bourjos in center covers more ground than Rivera, Hunter and Abreu combined........

17. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Amazing stat: Jim Edmonds who made his debut in 1993 can still play center field and has a .270 avg.

More amazing stat: Ichiro Suzuki is playing after giving Edmonds an 8 year head start has over 200 more career hits.

18. dcg

dcg Senior member

Ichiro is my favorite non-Phillie. Gets lots of hits, has a cannon, hilarious quotes. What's not to like?

19. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The Yankees really made out at the deadline. Getting Berkman, Wood, and some other deadweight for nothing but a bag of cash was a coup.

I liked the Phil's trade. They needed starting pitching. They needed to energize the base. They needed a boost into the playoffs. I think Oswalt will give them that. Certainly more than Happ.

Can someone explain to me how the Rangers took on $15mil in salary when they're in fucking bankruptcy?

20. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

don't look to hard, because the "syringes/codpiece" might poke you in the eye
    [​IMG]