• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mixing Vodka

Star

Reaction score
Looking for a simple way to mix Vodka with a Soda Water and Lemon. Not into sweet drinks. Want to get the proportions right so I get a nice subtle tasting drink. Ideas?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really? How about trial and error? Pour vodka/water/add lemon. Drink. Retry until you like the taste. NOT that difficult! Geez!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star
Looking for a simple way to mix Vodka with a Soda Water and Lemon. Not into sweet drinks. Want to get the proportions right so I get a nice subtle tasting drink. Ideas?
Infuse the vodka with a juniper flavor first, then add soda water and lemon. The trouble with doing that with vodka is that it doesn't have any flavor on it's own. It's neutral spirit. Those subtle, neutral drinks are really intended as ways to showcase a spirit, which is why they work well with gins and whiskeys that have more complex flavors. When you try that with vodka, you get the taste profile of the lemon, diluted with soda water, with an alcoholic kick. Might as well just drink hard lemonade. So yeah. I really do suggest you try gin in those recipes. But if you're set on vodka, you can just use the classic proportions of a Tom Collins but substitute the vodka for gin. 2 measures gin, juice of half a large lemon, 1 tsp sugar, soda water to taste. Served in a collins (surprise!) glass. Add a little more soda and shake the drink and it becomes a gin fizz.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how you could screw this up, but pour as much vodka as you want to drink into a glass and add water/lemon to taste. Keep trying it as you ass the water to make sure you don't dilute it too much.

word

Reaction score
Sounds like too much work and thinking, just drink the vodka by itself.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by word
Sounds like too much work and thinking, just drink the vodka by itself.

After about 4 or 5, the vodka straight up is pretty subtle.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.