• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mixing styles : Italian suits with english shoes

dandy1

Reaction score
Hi, wanted to get a view on the board about something thats bothering me .. I usualy wear italian suits but prefer english benchmade shoes .. im starting to come round to the thinking that english shoes by their nature are higher& definately more substantial in nature and perhaps clash with a sleeker profile and lighter weight of cloth in italian suiting.

do other guys on the board keep anglo & italian clothes & shoes seperate?

dandy

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe that is the preferred StyFo combination.

I think shoe + suit matching is more about seasonal or formal/casual appropriateness rather than country of origin.

Last edited:

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think he means actually matching the country of origin but rather the style implications of an italian shoe, e.g. a thin sole versus the larger chunkier sole of an english or american shoe.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:lurk:

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only do that combo is my leather goods are French.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think he means actually matching the country of origin but rather the style implications of an italian shoe, e.g. a thin sole versus the larger chunkier sole of an english or american shoe.

I think the matter would depend very much on factors like the cut and fabric weight of the suit and styling of the shoes. It might be a sartorial anomaly, but then again it might not be.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hi, wanted to get a view on the board about something thats bothering me .. I usualy wear italian suits but prefer english benchmade shoes .. im starting to come round to the thinking that english shoes by their nature are higher& definately more substantial in nature and perhaps clash with a sleeker profile and lighter weight of cloth in italian suiting.

do other guys on the board keep anglo & italian clothes & shoes seperate?

dandy 

yep. as i don't own english shoes. problem solved.

dunno what you mean by higher and more substantial? in regard to what? the majority of eyetalian shoes are more substantial as almost everything on this planet. talking bentivegna or norvegese construction.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yep. as i don't own english shoes. problem solved.
dunno what you mean by higher and more substantial? in regard to what? the majority of eyetalian shoes are more substantial as almost everything on this planet. talking bentivegna or norvegese construction.

Please, sir, tell us more. There is so little exposure of good Italian shoes on this forum... :lurk:

dandy1

Reaction score
yes above posters have touched on some of the features of an english shoe .. the sole is thicker yes on an English shoe, from a style point of view as well as a goodyear welt translating into having to use a thicker sole. By the shoe being higher I mean the height of an english shoe is usually taller, whereas Italian shoes usually have a lower profile.

the lightweight nature of fabric, tighter to the body cut and unstructured jackets of italian clothing just dont seem to go with english shoes. the only analogy i can think of is putting a range rovers wheels on a ferrari ..

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear G&Gs with Italian suits all the time.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't see a problem with it, unless you're some elitist, hyper-anglophile who ***** Earl Grey and wipes his ass with Borelli cutaways.

kalye

Reaction score
I am French cloth, French shoes, Asian tailor! :slayer:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Isn't Graziano an Italian name though, maybe that makes G&G's both Italian and English... :confused:

Good point - and perhaps why I like them so much is my previous addiction to eyetalian shoes.

G&G is a good 'gateway' shoe for me while I've been getting to know English Brands.

Seriously - there are no rules. More often than not a sleek suit probably works most classically with shoes of a similar ilk. But the current 'fashion' certainly is big blobby brogued shoes with suits so tight they show your religion.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads