• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mixing designer labels, a 'no-no'?

stylenoob

Reaction score
*Accidentally posted in the wrong forum earlier*

Hey all, my first post here.

I'm a hip-hop fan and tend to spend some time reading hip-hop blogs. Today I read a jab from rapper Jim Jones at Jay-Z in regards to Jay-Z's fashion sense.

The full blog post can be found here (it's unimportant, really) : http://blogs.sohh.com/nyc/archives/2...les_contd.html

With the important part being Jim Jones calling out Jay-Z on wearing a Gucci belt with an LV scarf:

"And look at the Vibe cover. Tell me who Jay-Z looks like in there? Did you see the picture of him? With the Louis Vuitton scarf and all that... he had a Gucci belt with a Louis Vuitton scarf. Who does that?... That's like wearing one Nike and one Puma; how you going to get away with that?
I had no idea that this was a fashion faux-pas! :\\

What are the general rules about 'mixing' labels?

Are there any?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not a faux-pas.

I don't know about in hip-hop, but in the real world, wearing head-to-toe of one label is called a "Fashion Victim." Not only is it a no-no, it makes you look like an idiot who doesn't have the sense OR style to shop around and figure out what he/she actually likes.

Jim Jones sounds like he needs to stick to rapping and leave fashion to others, because he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

ashenwreck

Reaction score
Sounds like middle/junior high school mentality to me.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ashenwreck
Sounds like middle/junior high school mentality to me.

Maybe more of a gang mentality. You can't affiliate with both the Bloods and the Crips at the same time, as I myself have learned through bitter experience.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to fashion advice from this guy

JimJonesHustlersPOME.jpg

Booshi

Reaction score
I don't know how much stock I'd put in Jim Jones' fashion sense. In fact, it seems that in most cases, having fashion sense and being a rapper are mutually exclusive.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do feel rather uneasy when I wear pieces of the same brand in one outfit (especially shirts and pants). However, that's not to say I wouldn't "synergize" a brand if the pieces work well together.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jim Jones is an idiot, he's just trying to get some press.

That said, it may look kinda weird if you're a bunch of different monograms. Though it looks stupid if you're wearing a bunch of the same monogram anyway.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm the first to admit I know nothing about hip-hop... but "Hustler's POME" is the stupidest title for anything I've heard in a long time. Looking at the guy on the cover, though, it seems to make sense and gives the quote of the OP more context...

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Booshi
I don't know how much stock I'd put in Jim Jones' fashion sense.

Well he's weaing baggy jeans with a skull belt, so Bill Cunningham things it's fascinating at least in an anthropological sense.

Booshi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Well he's weaing baggy jeans with a skull belt, so Bill Cunningham things it's fascinating at least in an anthropological sense.

See, that's the thing. Why isn't his necklace made out of little mini-skulls also? You can't wear a regular necklace with a skull belt! What a hypocrite.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
jim jones, in addition to having no idea what he is talking about, is an illiterate moron.

(To answer your question, wearing the lv monogram or a gucci web belt together is not a fashion faux-pas, although most around here don't like clothing that has branding on it)

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
Hate matchy-matchy.

I went to school with a guy who color-coordinated his accessories (e.g.Red sneaks, red belt, red baseball cap). Drove me insane. Sometimes he'd match his tees to it, too. How the **** can so many color variations of the same thing? To me, that's the same thing with brands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads