• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mixing designer labels, a 'no-no'?

smoothie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Except for the ring, I see no problem with this look being discussed here? And I really don't have a problem with the ring. Where's his pocket square??

jay-z-rolling-stone-cover.jpg

That's a rolling stone cover not Vibe as Jim Jones was referencing too.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
Thanks for clarifying

Yeah, even after the magazine cover, I still wasn't quite sure.

Besides, Mr. Z does not correspond with society's conveyed concept of 'black'.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i didnt see the vibe cover but if he has the gucci interloocking G logo and the louis vuitton LV monogram showing it would look rather rediculous. just too many logos. it doesnt match and shouldnt be mixed.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say that Jones's advice is bullshit in the context of both hip-hop and more conservative fashion. Also, it's worth pointing out that Jay-Z does both rather well. I believe he gets his suits made up somewhere on the Row.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Except for the ring, I see no problem with this look being discussed here? And I really don't have a problem with the ring. Where's his pocket square??

I really like that look.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RS cover outfit looks like Tom Ford.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not familiar with the hip hop world but this guy Jim Jones seems like a nobody trying to gain publicity by baiting Jay-Z to a public spat... and from what he's saying he sounds like he doesn't have good people around him to tell him he sounds like a freakin' idiot. Mr. Z would be stupid to even give a glance to this guy.

JordanH.

Reaction score
well, instead of Jay Z doing it, he had one of his friends do it (a rapper by the name of Tru Life). Jim Jones is (or was) in Dip Set. they all hate Jay Z i think

IrishDan

Reaction score
The Nets suck. And what does the Z stand for?

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IrishDan

In his neighborhood, Shawn (his real name) was known as "Jazzy", a nickname that eventually developed into his stage name, "Jay-Z". The moniker is also an homage to his musical mentor, Jaz-O (a.k.a. Jaz, Big Jaz), as well as to the J/Z subway lines that have a stop at Marcy Avenue in Brooklyn.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IrishDan

His childhood nickname was Jazzy which he adapted as Jay-Z for his career.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why wear a tie bar/clip if you are wearing a vest?

Seems a little redundant

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I don't know about in hip-hop, but in the real world, wearing head-to-toe of one label is called a "Fashion Victim." Not only is it a no-no, it makes you look like an idiot who doesn't have the sense OR style to shop around and figure out what he/she actually likes.

Jim Jones sounds like he needs to stick to rapping and leave fashion to others...

+1

Originally Posted by Zenny
Why wear a tie bar/clip if you are wearing a vest?

Seems a little redundant

I'm sure you could say that about a lot of things... I think it looks good.

smoothie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
i didnt see the vibe cover but if he has the gucci interloocking G logo and the louis vuitton LV monogram showing it would look rather rediculous. just too many logos. it doesnt match and shouldnt be mixed.
That's exactly what it was. A LV monogram scarf and G logo gucci belt. . It were were LV scarf without monogram and a Gucci belt without logo, it wouldn't have mattered. In terms of hiphop fashion at least, it's like being mix matched

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads