• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mixing Colognes?

phooi

Reaction score
I was catching up on "The Sartorialist" and came across his post entitled "Do You Blend Perfume?" dated Jan. 3, 2007. The most interesting section was all the comments. I didn't know that many people were into mixing scents. I've never thought of doing it myself but thought I'd put this out here...

Does anyone here mix scents?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do. Sometimes it's called "layering," but some fragrances are more prone to this than others. You can't just pick two of your favorites and spray them on top of each other. For example, if you like Dior Homme and you like Issey Miyake Pour Homme, you'd never want to mix them. They have totally different dynamics and notes that don't go well with each other.

Often, one will mix a single-note or more subtle fragrance with something else; like a heavier leather scent with something floral or a darker scent with something a little lighter to change the dynamic. There's a fragrance by Bond no. 9 called "new Haarlem" that is quite well suited to this; it mixes/blends/layers quite well with any number of different scents and it also does well on its own. Two others that are pretty good to blend are Jil Sander's PURE and Helmut Lang'd EDC and EDP.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I layer Andy Tauer's L'Air du desert Marocain with Norma Kamali's Incense. They work very well together. I always get a compliment.

jimmyfresno

Reaction score
You do have to be very careful when layering unless you know what you're doing. I happen to like layering sandalwood with leather or tobacco, a very natural and earthy combination for men. I also happen to like vintage Cabochard, a very hard to find women's scent based on leather and chypre (fern, oakmoss, etc) and layer it with some of the more modern incense scents like Comme des Garcons Incense series. The popular gimmicky fragrance "DZING!" also layers well since I think it's too sugary sweet in full concentration on its own, but it adds a nice vanilla/rubber accord. Essential oils also layer nicely with fragrances. Citruses or florals add a nice top note interest to very heavy basenote-rich scents.

Don't mix Cool Water with Brut, or TAG with Aramis, and get rid of the Drakkar Noir from your closet; there usually isn't any chance of disquising discount outdated perfumes and they smell very dated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads