• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mixing bias, straight, perpendicular pattern

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on using the bias in men's shirts? Does anyone like the 'mixed' look, i.e. straight cut on the body, biased on the yoke, cuffs, etc. ? How about being totally biased?
wink.gif
I have a striped shirt that's all diagonal, which I like very much. The stripes are small and close, though, so I wonder what it's like with larger bold stripes? Where would you rank diagonals in the formal-to-casual hierarchy? /andrew - today I am unbiased.

VWpete

Reaction score
Straight diagonals are much more casual. I use em w/ jeans and definately not w/ a suit and tie (save the diags for your rep ties.). Check out my post in your favorite clothes section if you want to see my favorite wide-striped shirt by Etro. I like them, but they are beginning to be overdone in the mass market.
Peter

banksmiranda

Reaction score
With striped fabrics I like everything cut "regularly." Only one exception: I always like to have the yoke split and matched up in the middle at an angle to form a chevron. I much prefer the look of a "chevron" yoke to a yoke with the stripes going horizontally.

BGW

Reaction score
I think they would have to be the most casual by a huge margin.

I would add horizontal stripes to the discussion. I seem to remember Michael Douglas wearing a horizontally striped dress shirt in Wall Street, but you rarely see them any more.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about checks? i've seen the yoke done on the bias with checks. any thought on that look? is it strange to have the cuffs on the bias too?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they would have to be the most casual by a huge margin.

I would add horizontal stripes to the discussion.  I seem to remember Michael Douglas wearing a horizontally striped dress shirt in Wall Street, but you rarely see them any more.
I have an Etro shirt in white with horizontal light blue and tan stripes (fairly thin and wide-spaced stripes). It seemed a little unusual at first, but it really grew on me. Kind of 'goes against the grain' with the whole vertical stripe supertrend.

I'll post a pic as soon as I feel motivated enough.

aybojs

Reaction score
I had a Jantzen shirt done with vertical stripes and a bias cut on the cuff. I like the look, though it's not really far out from normal. The fabric itself is pretty unconventional though: instead of your standard straight lines, the stripes have somewhat of a color gradient thing going. It's hard to describe, maybe I'll post a pic sometime.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, i've seen a couple of those gradient-stripes on jantzen's site, and was wondering how they looked in a full shirt.

in fact if anyone has some pix of interesting stripes/checks, especially from jantzen, i'd love to see them.

/andrew - gathering inspiration for the next order

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads