Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mixing and matching patterns

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Hogherp, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:19 AM.

1. Hogherp

Hogherp New Member

I am new to the style game and have a question for you oldtimers out there.

I have a navy suit, and a solid white dressshirt. I also have a silk scarf in a grey/navy paisley pattern, is it possible to combine this with a bow tie and a pocketsquare, or will this be to many patterns and just be over the top? If you have any suggestions as to which bow tie and pocket square i could use to pull this off, I would really appreciate it!

2. dapperguy80

dapperguy80 Well-Known Member

If I am in your situation, I would use a white pocketsquare and use a black knitted tie instead of a bowtie and perhaps a tan wingtips or a black cap toe depending on my mood. I would ditch the scarf, or if I really want to wear it, I'll leave the bowtie or necktie at home.

My other options would be a mustard yellow or rust orange tie. Again this is just me.

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Distinguished Member

Pattern matching isn’t so much a matter of “too many” or “too few,” but rather it’s a matter of how you match them. Why not post a picture of the items you wish to combine and let us see? Without that we can only give you vague generalities.

4. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

I wouldn't wear a bowtie unless it was with a tuxedos. If I really had to wear one, I'd go the Winston Churchill route with a navy bowtie with white pin dots. Otherwise, I'd wear any regular, tasteful tie, probably in navy, maroon, brown, or a combination thereof. Pocket square can always be white to complement the shirt, or blue and white to complement both suit and shirt.

As for the scarf, sure, why not, if the weather requires it. :thumbs-up: