1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mister Freedom by Sugar Cane (TOYO)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kiya, Apr 24, 2008.

1. robin

robin Senior member

Some more pictures from off MF's site. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. robin

robin Senior member

I just received the Mister Freedom mariners tote for J.Crew.

It stinks, not kidding here - it reeks of an industrial strength washing detergent that I can even smell from 20 meters away. The quality of the bag itself kind of sucks too, and it seems like one of J.Crew's regular totes that you can buy for $60 at their stores.

It's too bad that the paint job is so cool, because it's gone to waste on this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

Yeah, it must be something you have to handle and smell in person cause in pictures, that bag is beautiful.

Also, noticed the tag...is the only part that MF had in the process the screening and painting? Everything else provided by J.Crew?

4. robin

robin Senior member

Also, noticed the tag...is the only part that MF had in the process the screening and painting? Everything else provided by J.Crew?
    I don't know for certain, but that would be my guess. The bag itself is supposedly made here in the U.S. according to someone I talked to about it at jcrew, but the tag that would have been written on was cut out.

From looking at how it was sewn together, I could tell that the canvas was painted first, then put together, and then washed. If there's something special about the canvas, it's not really apparent from holding it. The rusted rivet thing is also something jcrew does with the rest of their totes.

The bag does look great, but it's going to get returned tomorrow. I had to package it back up in an air tight bag because it was stinking up my entire place here. For $200, it's not really worth keeping.

5. happy hooligan

happy hooligan Senior member

what do you use that bag for? Groceries? going to the beach?

I guess I'm missing the boat, but I haven't really seen anything by MF that makes me want to go out and spend six times what it's worth for yet.... Maybe I just haven't seen the whole collection?

6. zissou

zissou Senior member

That's too bad, robin. Then again, any actual MFxJCrew collab seems to be MF stenciling J Crew stuff. With actual MFSC stuff, it's the design, materials, and construction that blows me away. Any stencil is just an addition.

7. Lostinthesupermarket

Lostinthesupermarket Senior member

I guess I'm missing the boat, but I haven't really seen anything by MF that makes me want to go out and spend six times what it's worth for yet.... Maybe I just haven't seen the whole collection?
    I feel the same. I think MF is overpriced. I like quite a lot of it ....the CPO shirt for example is great, but not 380 bucks great. Maybe I would feel differently about it if I had actually handled it in real life or maybe I'm just not a baller.

8. mpcec

mpcec Senior member

That bag looks great. Too bad about the smell/price. Do they display it in store? Did the SA have any comment about the odor?

9. robin

robin Senior member

Do they display it in store? Did the SA have any comment about the odor?
    It's only for sale online. No comment from the SA other than the usual sorry; I also emailed them but their customer service didn't really seem to care either.

10. xchen

xchen Senior member

Some of those old R&B bags suffered from a smell like that. Smelled like old crayons.

And to the guy who said that the CPO is overpriced at $380 - There isn't really another shirt with similar detailing or craftsmanship to really compare to it. I'm probably going to get one soon, as well as a pair of the MFSC jeans. The way I see it, with those items you really get a whole wardrobe in one piece of clothing. I'll probably be wearing them like a uniform for some time to come.

11. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I love the jackets. Any idea on sizes and pricing?

12. Lostinthesupermarket

Lostinthesupermarket Senior member

And to the guy who said that the CPO is overpriced at $380 - There isn't really another shirt with similar detailing or craftsmanship to really compare to it.
    You're right and that probably is a bad example for me to have chosen. However, in the case of some of the other MF pieces, there are products out there that are similar enough to allow a price comparison...for instance Buzz Rickson do a 1943 foul weather deck jacket for about 400 dollars, half the price of the MF version. I think that lack of availability and interweb hype have something to do with the prices they are able to sell at. I can understand why people like the designs a lot. As I said maybe I would feel completely differently if I had actually handled the product. I intend to when I get the chance.

13. robin

robin Senior member

I love the jackets. Any idea on sizes and pricing?
    These were posted on superdenim last week:

Riders dungarees $400
    mechanics sweatshirt $290 without patch $300 with patch
    mechanics shirt $300
    leather jacket - plain $1899 with stars 2100 full appliquÃ[​IMG] $2400
    greaser cap $360
    backpack $500
    mulhulland master $900

Prices will be somewhat less if you order from Japan.

14. mpcec

mpcec Senior member

Robin do you imagine the smell would go away fairly quickly? Was that the main turn off or was it more the quality?

15. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

These were posted on superdenim last week:

Riders dungarees $400
    mechanics sweatshirt $290 without patch $300 with patch
    mechanics shirt $300
    leather jacket - plain $1899 with stars 2100 full appliquÃ[​IMG] $2400
    greaser cap $360
    backpack $500
    mulhulland master $900

Prices will be somewhat less if you order from Japan.

Thank you! [​IMG]

16. robin

robin Senior member

Robin do you imagine the smell would go away fairly quickly? Was that the main turn off or was it more the quality?
    A little of both, though if the detergent/dryer lint smell wasn't there I probably would have kept it.

I thought about trying to wash it on my own in hopes to get the smell out, but I figure a $200 canvas tote should be perfect right out of the box.

17. zissou

zissou Senior member

As I said maybe I would feel completely differently if I had actually handled the product. I intend to when I get the chance.

Really, I don't think anyone should pass judgment on MFSC stuff unless they've seen/handled it in person.

18. JFposc

JFposc Active Member

the bag is very well made, just saw it in person. not a fan of the new coats though

19. snake

snake Senior member

Any chance of the MF deck jacket being restocked?

20. zissou

zissou Senior member