Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mistakes you made when updating your wardrobe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by amathew, Aug 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Slowing down is good advice. And if you're losing weight, it's doubly important.

After two years of losing weight I hit a plateau and thought I was at my natural weight. I bought a bunch of suits, SCs, trousers and shirts that I am now -- two years after that -- taking a severe beating on and somewhat slowly replacing.

One thing I've learned is that the deals never stop coming. Don't jump on items just because they're a great price for a quality piece. Have patience. There are more where that came from.

2. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

1. Buying too much without learning enough.

2. Buying shoes I could not wear for 24 hours without complaint.

3. Trying to size down in jackets for a slimmer look. Restriction of movement is not cool.

3. Slippybee

Slippybee Senior member

On top of the comments about diving in too quickly I'd add thinking that buying cheap doesn't mean buying twice.

Far better to acquire a quality but limited set of staples that you can use as a foundation than any number of cheaper items of a limited quality and lifespan.

4. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

Word.

I did OK with shoes, but not with shirts.

5. celery

celery Senior member

Slow down is great advice. I went hog wild on ties and pocket squares, I'm still pruning my collection years later.

My big tip is don't hunt for sales. Hunt for what you really want, you'll end up happier with you choice in the long term. Pursuing sale items means you're limiting yourself to sale items, at some point a piece you really wanted might be on sale, then you should go for it. But in general, get what you really want, use it as a chance to forgo buying more and just spend that extra amount on that perfect item.

6. sliq

sliq Senior member

HAHAHA this just made my day. gold.

as an aside, cheaping out on tailoring. now i get all my clothes tailored; widening trouser waists, hemming up trousers/jacket sleeves, shirts, etc. emphasis is the FIT.

7. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Buying a lot of skin tight clothes when I was young and fit.

8. hugeevilrobot

hugeevilrobot Well-Known Member

+1 to buying too much too fast.

The single most important thing other than that is to find a good local tailor, especially if you are trying to save by thrifting/ebaying.

Also, as others have said, find what you want and get that, rather than what is in the clearance rack. It's definitely cheaper in the long run.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Amen, I have a tendency to buy new stuff, when in fact I don't wear the stuff I have to its full potential (or even as often as I should) because of little fit niggles that I'm honestly too lazy to drop off at the tailor.

I recently decided to stop buying so much stuff and simply get more use out of what I have already.

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Buying a barong in the Philippines and wearing it in Bristol, UK. Friends saying "What the fuck are you wearing Mike?"

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not buying with a fully coordinated look in mind. It is too easy to get attracted to "pretty things", a nice pocket square, belt or shoes that don't quite go with anything you own.

12. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

+1000000000000000000000000 to buying too much too soon.

Even if you resell it, it's at a fraction of what you paid.

The dreaded compromise for a good deal. <- never again!!

When something doesn't fit perfectly, but since it's a great price you buy it anyways hoping it'll work. It won't. It'll just rot away in your closet.

SF also can be a huge problem.

What some people like, or what's considered by the rules might not fit you as a person. Take the time to develop your own style

13. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

This is very solid advice.....except most people have no clue what a good "fit" is.

There's many a clown walking down the street in his ill-fitting suit, thinking he has a perfectly fitting ensemble.

14. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Ah, but you can always do a "sprezz" with that wonderful, outlandish, pretty item that matches nothing.

15. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Since I was on a tight budget when I joined here it wasn't about buying too much too soon.

My first post-SF purchases were great items and I still wear some of them. I still own the first 'real shoes' I bought using SF knowledge and wear them frequently, having been resoled once and reheeled twice. AE Lamberts.

My advice for a newcomer:

Don't go no break on your pants. When I first joined people told me to go NO BREAK on my pants and that I should insist that my alteration person hems them as such. I did this. I still own some of those pants and they look retarded when I wear them. Also, people will think you're wearing the wrong size pants. Instead just go for a slight break.

Don't be too entranced by a brand. There are lots of very ugly jackets/suits made well by good brands. In the end, the only one who will know what brand you wear is you. Maybe some clothing nerds too.

You won't find anything you like at Macy's. Just forget about the store. I spent a lot of money (at that time) trying to find a good fitting shirt made from nice fabric at Macy's. It was impossible. Just get MTM for shirts if you are somewhere near a weight/fitness level you are comfortable with for at least a bit of time.

Properly fitting pants made a world of difference for me. I was lucky since the ultra slim Incotex and Mabitex fit me extremely well and I lived really close to a daffy's. Daffy's is going out of buisness so I can't offer advice for brands.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012