Mistake on Resume (Graduation Date)

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Teger, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Teger

Teger Senior member

Posting this for a friend (luckily I landed a job).

She recently submitted an application for a job - resume, cover letter and references - and noticed today that her graduation date for her undergraduate degree is wrong. It says she graduated in May 2010 when she actually graduated in December 2010. The year is correct, although the month is wrong. She has a graduate degree as well, so it's not the first degree listed. The deadline for submissions closed on Friday, and she's wondering what to do - call HR and ask to resubmit? Do nothing? Bring it up preemptively if she gets to an interview?

2. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I wouldn't bring it up. That's so long ago and so minor that no one will care. If she'd accidentally put 2010 when her actual graduation hadn't happened yet, then THAT would be a problem, but a few months 3 years ago won't matter. If she gets the interview, she can passingly point it out while answering the "tell me about yourself" question.

What's her graduate degree?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  3. Teger

Teger Senior member

master of public health

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't see how it would change her qualifications or accomplishments or cause someone to hire her or not hire her, so it seems pretty much like a less obvious typo to me. An immaterial mistake that basically changes nothing.

5. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

and the fact she has a graduate degree makes the bachelors degree like a HS diploma.