• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Missoni sweaters

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am thinking of getting a Missoni sweater from this ebay store. I feel my wardrobe is too drab/grey/blue/brown and this may be a good way to add some color / fun into it.

So what are your thoughts ?

Also, any experience with quality of their stuff.

Thanks for reading.

Best regards

Some pics

MissoniMS42a.jpg

MissoniMS40a.jpg

Sartorial1

Reaction score
I am not the biggest fan of Missoni,
and prefer to add color in other ways.
That said, my best friend is a fan.
It works for him in casual settings.

I cannot comment on quality.
From what I've read,
they are respected to a certain degree.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Missoni turtleneck very similar to the one you just posted. I wore it for years without it falling apart. I personally love them and used to get lots of compliments on that sweater. If the style is for you, buy with confidence.

(Don't know anything about that eBay store, but I imagine that Missoni sweaters ARE counterfeited, so be on the lookout for that)

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
I feel my wardrobe is too drab/grey/blue/brown and this may be a good way to add some color / fun into it.

Don't do it. You've already said in other threads that you tried dressing flashier and reverted to the basic more somber colour palette.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Don't do it. You've already said in other threads that you tried dressing flashier and reverted to the basic more somber colour palette.

I dunno though, the one I have is in dark blues and greens, and being a turtleneck, can be worn with more sedate pieces like a navy blazer and gray flannel pants for a nice overall look.

But then again, my style has been known to leave something to be desired.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many Missoni items seem to have nylon content, even the massively expensive ones, but this one is apparently 100% wool. I wouldn't wear it, personally. I can understand the desire to add colour and pattern to your wardrobe, but this is a bit too much for me.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am reminded of The Cosby Show...........

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have very colourful Missoni bathrobe and towels and love them, but they're obviously not the sort of garment one wears outside one's home. As a boy in the 80's my mom used to dress me in Missoni sweaters similar to the ones you posted. I guess that association makes them a bit difficult to wear for me these days. But I think they can be pulled off, especially the models that don't mix two patters (stripes & checks, in this case). Maybe you could start with a Missoni tie (the colourful herringbone ones can be interesting) and see if you're comfortable with that.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
I have very colourful Missoni bathrobe and towels and love them, but they're obviously not the sort of garment one wears outside one's home. As a boy in the 80's my mom used to dress me in Missoni sweaters similar to the ones you posted. I guess that association makes them a bit difficult to wear for me these days. But I think they can be pulled off, especially the models that don't mix two patters (stripes & checks, in this case). Maybe you could start with a Missoni tie (the colourful herringbone ones can be interesting) and see if you're comfortable with that.

mommie_dearest2.jpg

- B

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Missoni seems to be something of a one trick pony. I like a few of their designs now and then -- even some of the loud ones -- but a lot of what they produce just seems uninventive (after the first season, whenever that was) and kind of ugly. I tend to like their pieces with regular/consistent, repeating designs, as opposed to the irregularly mottled ones you posted that look like a technicolor camo print JPEG got brutally corrupted.
missonitriplevneckcolle.jpg
missoniss2.jpg
(I wish I could customize that second one, I almost really like it but a couple of the colours are just "off" to my taste, and the contrasting multicolor tie in this pic ruins any chance it had of looking acceptable)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads