• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Missoni sweaters

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am thinking of getting a Missoni sweater from this ebay store. I feel my wardrobe is too drab/grey/blue/brown and this may be a good way to add some color / fun into it.

So what are your thoughts ?

Also, any experience with quality of their stuff.

Thanks for reading.

Best regards

Some pics

Sartorial1

Reaction score
I am not the biggest fan of Missoni,
and prefer to add color in other ways.
That said, my best friend is a fan.
It works for him in casual settings.

I cannot comment on quality.
From what I've read,
they are respected to a certain degree.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Missoni turtleneck very similar to the one you just posted. I wore it for years without it falling apart. I personally love them and used to get lots of compliments on that sweater. If the style is for you, buy with confidence.

(Don't know anything about that eBay store, but I imagine that Missoni sweaters ARE counterfeited, so be on the lookout for that)

texas_jack

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have about 5 Missoni pieces and I love them all. I've seen the second one in the store so I know that is a pic of a legit piece. Whether you'll receive that one or not I don't know.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
I feel my wardrobe is too drab/grey/blue/brown and this may be a good way to add some color / fun into it.

Don't do it. You've already said in other threads that you tried dressing flashier and reverted to the basic more somber colour palette.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Don't do it. You've already said in other threads that you tried dressing flashier and reverted to the basic more somber colour palette.

I dunno though, the one I have is in dark blues and greens, and being a turtleneck, can be worn with more sedate pieces like a navy blazer and gray flannel pants for a nice overall look.

But then again, my style has been known to leave something to be desired.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many Missoni items seem to have nylon content, even the massively expensive ones, but this one is apparently 100% wool. I wouldn't wear it, personally. I can understand the desire to add colour and pattern to your wardrobe, but this is a bit too much for me.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am reminded of The Cosby Show...........

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have very colourful Missoni bathrobe and towels and love them, but they're obviously not the sort of garment one wears outside one's home. As a boy in the 80's my mom used to dress me in Missoni sweaters similar to the ones you posted. I guess that association makes them a bit difficult to wear for me these days. But I think they can be pulled off, especially the models that don't mix two patters (stripes & checks, in this case). Maybe you could start with a Missoni tie (the colourful herringbone ones can be interesting) and see if you're comfortable with that.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
I have very colourful Missoni bathrobe and towels and love them, but they're obviously not the sort of garment one wears outside one's home. As a boy in the 80's my mom used to dress me in Missoni sweaters similar to the ones you posted. I guess that association makes them a bit difficult to wear for me these days. But I think they can be pulled off, especially the models that don't mix two patters (stripes & checks, in this case). Maybe you could start with a Missoni tie (the colourful herringbone ones can be interesting) and see if you're comfortable with that.

- B

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Missoni seems to be something of a one trick pony. I like a few of their designs now and then -- even some of the loud ones -- but a lot of what they produce just seems uninventive (after the first season, whenever that was) and kind of ugly. I tend to like their pieces with regular/consistent, repeating designs, as opposed to the irregularly mottled ones you posted that look like a technicolor camo print JPEG got brutally corrupted.
(I wish I could customize that second one, I almost really like it but a couple of the colours are just "off" to my taste, and the contrasting multicolor tie in this pic ruins any chance it had of looking acceptable)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.