• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Missing...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't seen imageWIS post too much for the last couple of days...
biggrin.gif
Jon.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I miss Ern.  I eagerly await his return.  And I do (really) agree with him that Brown is for farmer and Croc. for gangsters.
Could the unthinkable have happened?  Could ernest be gainfully employed?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well even French unemployment benefits run out sometime... He should work at Dunhill or Richemont, or maybe he can be the assistant to that twerp at Hilditch & Key Paris.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen nightowl around for awhile.  Maybe he's organizing the new shipment of Grensons?

christian

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that my best friend who's a prominent chef in the City would NOT be divulging all his recipes to a competitor. He probably wouldn't share all the details with a bus-boy either, which is what it sounds like we had here in this situation. What's to keep the newbie employee (prospective employee) from taking this info to the chef at the restaurant across town.

He might mentor him, and teach him a few "tricks of the trade", share his wealth of kitchen tools, basting shortcuts, etc... but it is entirely up to him HOW MUCH and WHAT he chooses to divulge.  If the protege wishes to do some research on his own, that's GREAT.  He should be taught in this nascent station in his career to use discretion, even though he's anxious to tell the world what all he knows.
No, that's a poor analogy. You're comparing apples to oranges here.

In this case, mmathew is like an amateur chef who didn't learn any of his recipes from a master chef like AK.Instead, mmathew created his own dishes and did his own reinterpretaions on classic dishes. And, he was sharing his own recipes online with others who wanted more to learn how to cook. We have a separate thread where we share our own recipes on this forum. Yet, in this case, you had a professional chef decided that this was not cool and PM mmathew to not put out the recipes.

Did AK give or teach this information to mmathew? If not, then he has no claim over what mmathew chooses to teach to others.

And, I'm sorry, but there are plenty of cookbooks by master chefs out there who write out their recipes as well as other sources that tries to teach the beginner cook. Should we start shutting all these down?

christian

Reaction score
From the point-of-view of the small entrepreneur, there is a world of difference between the advantages to the human race through the advance of science and the competetion of the free-market which, by its very nature, decrees that some business will succeed while others fail. Were that not the case, businesses large and small would not be investing in security systems designed to safeguard their proprietary information. You may consider that wrong; others generally do not disagree with one's right to protect intellectual property.

such as the inordinate burden placed on extremely small suppliers and the consumer price increases which are the inevitable result of such a burden.

What I was quite specifically cautioning against was the sharing of resources with the public-at-large (again, for the exact reasons I enumerated), not one-on-one with fellow members of the trade as a professional courtesy.
AK:

After reading your reply, I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. On one hand, you're saying that what mmathew did was wrong because it might harm the business and then you try to argue that it might harm the consumer. Which one is it?

What may be good for the business may not be in the best interests of the consumer? In the business world, the best product doesn't always end up winning. Look at Microsoft Windows with all its bugs and problems.

If we're concerned about the consumer, then we should welcome the free flow of information. It's a straw man argument to say that it overwhelm the small suppliers. Why not let them decide? Some might welcome it as it would give them greater market share, and let them expand. If they don't want it, they could have changed their phone number and given it out to only those they wanted to do business with.

And, I disagree that it would somehow destroy the magic. There are plenty of sources of textbooks that describes how to recreate a dish for chefs, how to perform magic, etc. in the public library where anybody can check them out. If you wanted to, one could even buy a medical textbook to learn the information that doctors know. But, that doesn't mean we've somehow lost respect the magic for these professionals.

Joe G

Reaction score
Nope, that had to be the real Joe G.  That's his schtick - racist, anti-Semitic, and anti-American hatemongering.

Actually, I did not write the quoted text. I must say, the astute observer would have realised that immediately, simply because I know how to spell "Palestine".

Still, though I would not have expressed that sentiment so fumblingly, I cannot say I disagree with it one bit. The numbers of innocent people murdered in the American aggression against the people of Iraq far exceeded the tolls of 9-11, though I must say that of late certain barbaric elements in Iraq seem to be taking over for America's air force and brutes on the ground quite horribly on that front, murdering their brothers and sisters wantonly rather than concentrating their fire where it belongs, on the occupying enemy. Furthermore, of course the Palestinians live under daily threat of terrorism from their illegal occupiers' American-supplied weapons. That is completely uncontroversial, except to the racist baboon who refuses to recognise a Palestinian life as being every bit the equal of a white life.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah, can you feel the love...
thumbs-up.gif

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was taking a hiatus. Â My girlfriend and I have indeed broken up (after 7 years), but Ernest had very little to do with that, other than acting as a mouthpiece for the two of us to spew insults at each other from across the Atlantic. Â I haven't been posting because I need time to clear my head, am planning to move out to NYC, possibly in the next 6 weeks. Â I have had much to think about recently, and have not had a whole lot of time to post on the StyleForum. Â I am not sure when I will be back posting on the Forum regularly, I have been quite busy with "real life", and have spent very little time on my computer. Â Most of my time has been spent sending out resumes and searching for housing in Manhattan. Â If anyone needs a renter, or someone to rent a room, let me know. Â I am looking mostly in the UWS, UES, and the Village, but open to other areas. Â
wink.gif
J - your new server is indeed up and ready to go. Â I am not sure you got my email.
Don't forget she tried to seduce me. You haven't been posting as we had chated everyday for 6 weeks.

bryce330

Reaction score
(linux_pro @ April 18 2005,20:35) I was taking a hiatus. Â My girlfriend and I have indeed broken up (after 7 years), but Ernest had very little to do with that, other than acting as a mouthpiece for the two of us to spew insults at each other from across the Atlantic.
Don't forget she tried to seduce me.
Ernest.. Nice to see you are back and as classy as ever.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ May 09 2005,14:38)
Originally Posted by linux_pro,April 18 2005,20:35
I was taking a hiatus. Â My girlfriend and I have indeed broken up (after 7 years), but Ernest had very little to do with that, other than acting as a mouthpiece for the two of us to spew insults at each other from across the Atlantic.
Ernest.. Â Nice to see you are back and as classy as ever.
J sent me an email because he was worried to death not to see me on the forum. I have just married a US millardaire, I live in B.H. now. So i have much less time for the forum...

bryce330

Reaction score
(bryce330 @ May 09 2005,23:45)
Originally Posted by ernest,May 09 2005,14:38
I was taking a hiatus. Â My girlfriend and I have indeed broken up (after 7 years), but Ernest had very little to do with that, other than acting as a mouthpiece for the two of us to spew insults at each other from across the Atlantic.

J sent me an email because he was worried to death not to see me on the forum. I have just married a US millardaire, I live in B.H. now. So i have much less time for the forum...
OK, I'll bite - where is "B.H."? And what is a "millardaire"?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ May 09 2005,14:48)
Originally Posted by bryce330,May 09 2005,23:45
Originally Posted by ernest,May 09 2005,14:38

OK, I'll bite - where is "B.H."? Â And what is a "millardaire"?
B.H. = Beverly Hills, of course. Milliardaire = billionaire

mkk

Reaction score
(Bryce330) OK, I'll bite - where is "B.H."? And what is a "millardaire"?

millardaire: probably = millionaire
B.H. : probably = Beverly Hills

?

mkk

Reaction score
Darn - Ernest got his post in a split second before me, and I was wrong in my guess on "millardaire." So you found yourself a "sugar mama?" Not that there's anything wrong with it...
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads