• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Missing...

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Mathew,
That would be nice. Both Joelle and I were very distressed at the strange turn of events. And where is my copy of that photo of us?
Best regards,
Alex

Christian:
The accusations of libel are not in any way, shape, or form related to Darren Beaman. Additionally, if the alleged libel of the part of the now banned poster were being litigated, it is not an unpleasantness that should be again foisted upon this forum, nor a subject that the aggrieved party(ies) would be permitted by counsel to discuss. Please let the good judgement of the forum's owner prevail and leave the matter where it belongs - gone, dead, and buried.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with this completely. Â As a scientist, I think that information sharing and technological transfer is vital and should be encouraged as much as possible.
LAGuy, You are free to disagree, of course. From the point-of-view of the small entrepreneur, there is a world of difference between the advantages to the human race through the advance of science and the competetion of the free-market which, by its very nature, decrees that some business will succeed while others fail. Were that not the case, businesses large and small would not be investing in security systems designed to safeguard their proprietary information. You may consider that wrong; others generally do not disagree with one's right to protect intellectual property.
And as a free marketer, you should agree with Mmathew is free to do with what was essentially his "intellectual property" as he sees fit.
Also correct. However, at the time Mathew had indicated that he was interested in entering the bespoke clothing business. It would not serve him well therein to have published all of his resources for all of the reasons which I specifically enumerated and which you have ignored in your post, such as the inordinate burden placed on extremely small suppliers and the consumer price increases which are the inevitable result of such a burden.
And BTW, it does sort of turn me off that you care that your clients are rich and/or famous.
I was more specific than that. I am - as I carefully said - in awe of their ability to manage such large holdings successfully. Hopefully, they do so to the benefit of the hundreds of thousands they keep gainfully employed. For my part, the largest number of employees I've ever had was approximately 100 - and I shall never forget how difficult it was to fairly manage the needs and desires of so many. It is not a case of "caring that they are rich", but a sense of awe that they are capable of succeeding at such large enterprises.
information sharing about suppliers, good manufacturers, good mills, etc... Â this is just part of professional courtesy.
Here we completely agree. For my part, I have taught more shirtmakers more technical things about shirtmaking than I have ever heard of any other shirtmaker doing. What I was quite specifically cautioning against was the sharing of resources with the public-at-large (again, for the exact reasons I enumerated), not one-on-one with fellow members of the trade as a professional courtesy.
I agree with some of the points that LAG made in his message. I also agree with Alex on his last point. It's probably unwise (because for a few reasons, incl. maintaining your mystique, etc) to reveals your sources to the general public. Though I, as a member of the general public am quite interested (for some reason -- probably just because I find it fascinating) to know this info. For instance, it's just neat to me that there's still a company (the Groton one) that makes the old knives. But I can understand how one shirtmaker wouldn't want another to know, necessarily, of the source.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
 Maybe Ayn Rand will see her utopia post mortem after all - it'll be a shittier world for it though.
Word.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of missing posters, is drizzt3117 still around?  I haven't been around much myself the past few weeks, so I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen any posts from him lately.
ernest and drizzt disappeared around the same time.  Weird . . .

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given the beating Ernest is regularly subjected to (whether he deserves it or not), it isn't so surprising. Although, he really seemed to be thick-skinned. I'm sure we'll soon receive some manner of a perplexing answer from him.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Given the beating Ernest is regularly subjected to (whether he deserves it or not), it isn't so surprising. Although, he really seemed to be thick-skinned. I'm sure we'll soon receive some manner of a perplexing answer from him.
I can understand where you are coming from, but "The Donald" post was pretty ridiculous to begin with. If you set yourself up for a fall, don't be surprised when you hit the ground.

Jon.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm still around, just been really busy with work-related issues lately, probably be posting more this month, I've been in Europe and Asia (and not the especially nice places) in the past several weeks.

jmswentworth

Reaction score
I'm sure we'll soon receive some manner of a perplexing answer from him.
"Thanks to ernest, I will avoid being ridiculious with my Rolex and croco shoes"

Lindsay

Reaction score
I think Ernest is a fascinating member of the board. He is a colorful, entertaining and curious character.

I would agree, however, with whoever said that he kind of sets himself up for bashing with some of the things he says. Perhaps it's the way he says them - so arrogantly, and "factually". Then again, it could just be a language barrier. Or it could be that he's just much more honest and forthright than some of us.

For instance, I agree, it would be nice to work a couple of years, then coast on the government's dole for 2 years, but I 1) could not in good conscience do it and 2) could NEVER admit it if I did. Maybe it's just because I come from a culture where hard work is encouraged, and praised. Being a hard worker is admirable. The corollary... well you get the point.

Anyway, I hope he does come back around. His English really was improving. I wish I WERE ambitious enough to go to language school as he has.. Truly.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, that had to be the real Joe G.  That's his schtick - racist, anti-Semitic, and anti-American hatemongering
To be fair, I don't have the best troll radar. I always thought that Linux Pro was also a troll as well. Most of the time, I would never believe anything he said. Or, he'd say all these outrageous things about asians, the disabled, suburbanites, etc.. After policy's recent banning, I'm surprised LP didn't get banned either.

You've got to be kidding me that this Joe G is for real. Okay, how about this quote from Joe G. This has to be one of the most offensive things he posted, right? I can't imagine it getting much worse than this.

"Why? If I want, say a US $5,000+ Hermes coat, then I buy it. Period.

As for depriving family or friends of resources because of narcissim, I'm surprised that the last two international tragedies ( the first being 9-11, the second being America's idiotic reaction therto) didn't first bring this about. Sometimes, it seems that the only thing 9-11 taught people is that cell phones can be safely used on airplanes, industry hype to justify their $5 a minute airphones be damned."

mkk

Reaction score
If anybody cares, everything's cool now. Back to members gone AWOL. Kai and Alias?

marc37

Reaction score
(ken @ April 14 2005,23:03) I didn't know there was a fake Joe G. So which one did I loathe because of his constant dogmatic references disguised as high truth? Probably both, I guess.
Yeah, probably both.
wink.gif
There were two over at Andy's site: "Joe G", and "Joe G." (note the full stop). Can't remember which was which, though.
l'm glad to see the end of Joe G. He was too rude.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I miss Ern. I eagerly await his return. And I do (really) agree with him that Brown is for farmer and Croc. for gangsters.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies,April 12 2005,15:20
Feel free to add names to this tribute to the "missing poster".
Let's see: 1) NavyStyles, 2) Joe G - the real one OR the fake one, doesn't matter, 3) We don't see much of Steve B. anymore - is he on a book tour or something? 4) Renwick, 5) pstoller
I've been wondering about Renwick. Man that guy is long gone -- he's been away for years. Â PStoller has also turned on, tuned in and dropped out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics