Missing Jury Duty

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ArteEtLabore14, Jan 12, 2010.

1. ArteEtLabore14

ArteEtLabore14 Senior member

So I know there are a few lawyers here, so I have a question. I was supposed to go to jury duty this morning but I couldn't get my car to start, and thus was unable to go. Who should I call, and what should I say? Am I likely to face any sort of penalty? Thanks!

2. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

So I know there are a few lawyers here, so I have a question. I was supposed to go to jury duty this morning but I couldn't get my car to start, and thus was unable to go. Who should I call, and what should I say? Am I likely to face any sort of penalty? Thanks!

You should probably call the Clerk of the Court or the Jury Commissioner.

3. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

I see you are in CT. Call the number on the form they sent you - they will just assign another date. It's not a big deal. Be sure to call though and get reassigned. IIRC they changed the law a few years ago. It used to be they could issue a fine for not showing up but now they can issue a bench warrant.

4. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Federal or state (local/county) court?

I've seen a federal judge issue a bench warrant and send out the US Marshalls on the spot.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I agree with JG. Just call the jury administration office -- the number listed on the summons -- tell them you screwed up and will need a new date. You should be fine. To the extent a bench warrant or something similar was automatically generated, which is probably unlikely at this point, they'll tell you when/where you need to show up and do your mea culpas.

6. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Federal or state (local/county) court?

I've seen a federal judge issue a bench warrant and send out the US Marshalls on the spot.

I'm sure that was for a seated Juror right? I can't see a FJ doing that for some schulb in the jury pool.

7. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Well, obviously you have to get out of state right away. Duh.

Liquidate all bank accounts ASAP. It's important to do this now before any law enforcement agencies put a freeze on your assets. If you have real estate, you're just going to have to take your lumps. I recommend trying to find a renter by the end of the day, and get as much of a cash payment up front as you can.

You're going to need new documents. I know a guy who can probably set you up right with a full package, including birth certs, SSN, the whole deal. PM me for details. I'll warn you though, he's a bit skittish. I hope you're on the East Coast, and don't have any glaring facial deformities. He always meets in person, and he's a little cuckoo about that sort of thing. Be prepared for a cavity search; you can't trust anyone in that business.

Start thinking about your new name now. This is your chance to be anyone you ever wanted to be.

I hope you don't have children. God, don't have done this to your children.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I have very responsible friends who just don't bother answering and get out of the country for a few months. No joke.

9. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

Liquidate all bank accounts ASAP. It's important to do this now before any law enforcement agencies put a freeze on your assets. If you have real estate, you're just going to have to take your lumps. I recommend trying to find a renter by the end of the day, and get as much of a cash payment up front as you can.

You're going to need new documents. I know a guy who can probably set you up right with a full package, including birth certs, SSN, the whole deal. PM me for details. I'll warn you though, he's a bit skittish. I hope you're on the East Coast, and don't have any glaring facial deformities. He always meets in person, and he's a little cuckoo about that sort of thing. Be prepared for a cavity search; you can't trust anyone in that business.

Start thinking about your new name now. This is your chance to be anyone you ever wanted to be.

[​IMG]

Srsly, blow it off & see what happens. Probably nothing will. If it does you can always explain later.

10. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

My advice above is based on my experience in CT last year.

11. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I can't imagine a scenario in which ignoring a jury duty summons is a good plan.

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

[​IMG]

Srsly, blow it off & see what happens. Probably nothing will. If it does you can always explain later.

Srsly, terrible advice. Blowing it off and then trying to "explain" only when you're busted greatly increases the likelihood that you'll have to pay a fine or get ordered to show up on a particular day without regard for whatever else you have scheduled. Be proactive and you likely can reschedule for another day at your convenience, with no other adverse consequences.

13. ArteEtLabore14

ArteEtLabore14 Senior member

My advice above is based on my experience in CT last year.

That's what I'm going to do. I tried calling and they said I had to wait to wait until the next day to discuss my summons.

14. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Sorry, thread hopping here. If I was a call-in juror for NYC and was not required to show up for jury duty, how many years do I have before they can call me again?

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

[​IMG]