• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mirrored sunglasses - thoughts?

newn

Reaction score
Practically it's a great choice, but is it a good style choice? Especially when I'm wearing indigo jeans/khakis with a sports jacket or a charcoal suit. It kinda reminds me either of Matrix or those douchebaggy guys from highschool (think movies about US schools), some of which seek to hide their eyes. Not sure if it reminds me of "businessmen" type (not that I am one, yet), then again - most richer people drive or get driven, so most of the time they don't even need sunglasses.

I also wouldn't spend much time doing face-to-face conversation with my sunglasses, and I'd never wear them indoors (or at night, etc. - for style). I'd use them purely for the practical purpose of blocking the nasty sunrays from entering my eyes.

SelfMade

Reaction score
Unless you are playing Ice Man in the Top Gun sequel, or Robin Thicke performing Blurred Lines on the Voice, NEVER WEAR THEM!

MisterFu

Reaction score
Practically it's a great choice, but is it a good style choice? Especially when I'm wearing indigo jeans/khakis with a sports jacket or a charcoal suit. It kinda reminds me either of Matrix or those douchebaggy guys from highschool (think movies about US schools), some of which seek to hide their eyes. Not sure if it reminds me of "businessmen" type (not that I am one, yet), then again - most richer people drive or get driven, so most of the time they don't even need sunglasses.

I also wouldn't spend much time doing face-to-face conversation with my sunglasses, and I'd never wear them indoors (or at night, etc. - for style). I'd use them purely for the practical purpose of blocking the nasty sunrays from entering my eyes.
This really comes down to personal style choices and what looks good on your face. Mirrored aviator style sunglasses can (and usually do) look truly awful, especially the over-sized late 70's to early 80's variants (which some typically idiotic celebrities have recently tried to bring back). A reasonably sized pair of mirrored aviators can look good, but you have to have the correct face shape to pull it off.

With the above said, I'd personally think twice about it. Like bow-ties, if you feel the need to ask, you probably shouldn't wear them.

(P.S. For future reference: if you drive, you need sunglasses.)

newn

Reaction score

This really comes down to personal style choices and what looks good on your face. Mirrored aviator style sunglasses can (and usually do) look truly awful, especially the over-sized late 70's to early 80's variants (which some typically idiotic celebrities have recently tried to bring back). A reasonably sized pair of mirrored aviators can look good, but you have to have the correct face shape to pull it off.

With the above said, I'd personally think twice about it. Like bow-ties, if you feel the need to ask, you probably shouldn't wear them.

(P.S. For future reference: if you drive, you need sunglasses.)

Actually yes, I'm looking at aviator sunglasses, they are probably medium-sized. I've an oval face, and I like the "old-school" part of aviators.

I was at a few sunglass stores today, and basically the choice came down to dark-grey tinted aviators: ones are polarized and non-mirrored, have a black frame and the other are mirrored with a gold-color frame.

Basically I'm even considering the mirrored glasses because 1) I like the gold-colored frame (black looks kinda cheap, even though it's lightly plastic-coated metal, which means it's still round. While the gold-colored frame doesn't look so cheap and it's not coated with plastic) and 2) Since the mirrored are not polarized, I'd be able to see electronic screens, like my mobile phone, stuff shown on the buildings (most ads, but still), my tablet, etc.. And as far as I know, the shapes of various objects would be more clear on non-polarized sunglasses.

So that's my reasoning. Was at 4 stores today, don't think there's many left.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's