• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mirror,mirror. What is real?

sleekman

Reaction score
I got a question that's on my mind for some time now.

When I look into the mirror, my face looks slim and i have a narrower jawline, in pictures my face looks much "chubbier", and i look different in almost every picture, but i never seem to look like what im seeing in the mirror.

The thing is, everyone else in those pictures, look like what they are suppose to in real life. Im perplexed, im not sure what my face really looks like in real life and im having problems picking out the right hairstyle for my face shape.

so which is more accurate, the mirror image or pictures?

sleekman

Reaction score
ahh.....that explains it. But how some people don't appear "chubbier" in pics as compared to others?

maybe some just ain't photogenic?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is oversimplification, but cameras also capture light differently from the human eye and lack depth perception. Attractive people can look like crap on a camera, and creative camera work can cover up quite a lot, to say the least.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
To a certain extent looking at a picture has the same effect as listing to your voice in someone else’s voicemail/ answering machine. A picture is closer to the actual, while a look in the mirror equates more to your own projections of yourself, you zero in on what flaws you want to see.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that you tend to make yourself look best in the mirror pictures capture you in motion, from various angles. on the other hand, pictures don't capture that part of you which is fluid, so if you utilize corectly your motion, your movement, your angles, then you might look better in real life than in pictures.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about differences from mirror to mirror?

I look great in some mirrors but like **** in others. The differences can be quite dramatic. The mirror at my tailor's shop is notoriously bad.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
telephoto lenses squeeze the image, which is good if you're chubby.

wide angle lenses expand the image, which is good if you are too skinny.

i don't know the answer to the original question, but i've noticed that i'm always chubbier in photos than what i see in the mirror.

stach

Reaction score
It flattens out your image so you don't see the rounding towards the edge of your body. I'm guessing the lighting in your tailor shop is not flattering.

raley

Reaction score
I don't get it though. What makes someone "photogenic?" It can't be just a natural quality. I think it might have something to do with the consistency of smiles/faces from picture to picture. The people I have noticed to be "photogenic" look the same in almost every picture, or they have a few faces that they make for the camera, all of which look the same. Maybe practice would help.

sleekman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
What about differences from mirror to mirror?

I look great in some mirrors but like **** in others. The differences can be quite dramatic. The mirror at my tailor's shop is notoriously bad.

Yes, if you are trying out clothes in different stores, boutiques, you will notice that there are differences in certain mirrors. Some of them will carefully manipulate the lighting or angle to make u slimmer, etc so the clothes u try on will look better on u.

Its best if you look at urself in a mirror in a well lit room.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
One thing I noticed when looking at pictures of myself is that my face is not quite symmetrical and it looks very different to me than I am used to seeing in the mirror. I saw a picture of myself and it seemed really off, and after looking a while I noticed that. My jaw is off a tiny bit, maybe 1/16" to one side, probably because of my teeth. I have asked people and no one else has ever noticed it, but it is twice as pronounced to me since I am used to looking at it in reverse.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The same is true with myself. I always look horrible in photos. The photos capture a specific moment in time that most people don't notice in real life. Flash also has a horrible effect of creating shadows on various areas, often emphasizing your worst features.

I think another thing is that in a mirror you can appear to look your best, however with a camera, you can't fix yourself before the camera snaps so you may have a goofy grin for that split second without knowing it. I've noticed that on my digital camera which has a flip screen where you can see yourself before you take the photo I get more consistant good photos of myself or with others because we can "pose" in a flattering position.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads