• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Minoring In History

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been thinking about it. What do you think the impact will be when it's on my resume? Substantial or altogether not important?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great choice. History, much like other humanities disciplines, tends to impart very important critical thinking & analysis skills on those who study it. Another huge bonus is the development of research & writing skills, something that I imagine a large number of modern Americans lack.

It's also fun.

P.S. what is your major?

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The impact revolves around your major and desired career path.

If you plan to pursue a PhD in biochemistry, probably irrelevant. If you plan to be a lawyer, pretty relevant.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Unless the minor is directly related to your field or is a cross-discipline, it's probably not worth the required load for it unless you're most of the way there anyway.

However, for the reasons Conne said, even if you don't minor in it, it would be entirely worth it to take a dabbling of those classes just for the skills they can impart to anyone. Philosophy, English, Math (sadly
frown.gif
), Art, Politics, and Language work in the same way. Well rounding of anyone.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
99% irrelevant by any measure. I will defend this statement. Do it if you enjoy it.

Tardek

Reaction score
Your minor will range from completely useless to fairly unimportant.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Great choice. History, much like other humanities disciplines, tends to impart very important critical thinking & analysis skills on those who study it. Another huge bonus is the development of research & writing skills, something that I imagine a large number of modern Americans lack. It's also fun. P.S. what is your major?
based on your extensive real world experience, right? I tend to be very very polytechnical about these matters - and I say this as an employer who dabbled in the humanities for a year or so, saw the pointlessness of my ways and switched promptly to Business. My advice to students is almost always the same...pick a major with the name of the job you want. In my case (and the Australian terminology works differently so I will backtranslate it to US phrasing), I majored in Public Relations and minored in electronic business...this proved very beneficial in the early send-the-CV-far-and-wide phase of my life, and also happens to be basically what I do for a living now.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
In good (there are lame ass history classes out there) history classes you learn very important skills that are applicable to all walks of life. A bit of religion, a bit of philosophy, some psychology, writing skills, analytical skills, critical thinking, argumentative ability, reading strategies, and more. I think people who have taken either humanities classes (not just US history) either a minor or at least a few classes are more well rounded than standard business school drones who just power through those classes and nothing much outside of it.

samblau

Reaction score
I was a dual major in politics and history. All together worthless. That said a history degree won't hurt you.

Taking classes forces you to do assignments. I have learned more and had more fun readig on my own and talking to people over lunch or drinks. History prof's basically take a text book, add their own slant and hire some hot TA's to grade papers. If you enjoy the subject matter, have a great prof. and/or discussion group it can be fun. If you care about a job get a hard science degree or something career focused.

BTW, great tag! I am inclined to add "a lot".

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
yeah, I agree. Question is phrased asking about resume efficacy, and the answer to that is not especially positive.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
ancedotal:

dad, history major, now a lawyer
uncle, philosophy major, has an md and a jd (retired)
uncle, english major, now a lawyer
grandfather, philo major, was a lawyer
other grandfather, history major, was a doctor
mom, lit major, was a lawyer
ANOTHER uncle, sociology major, yet another lawyer

Astan

Reaction score
i was a double major in history and poli sci too. and I 100% agree with m@t and samblau. I went into law b/c there isnt anything i can do with hist or ps. and now........ welll getting back to the point find something you want to do and just major in it! like m@t said!

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
Only if your major is already not in the humanities. History is an important subject, but in practicality maters (getting jobs, into grad school, etc.) it's completely useless to marginally useless. Now, if you major in physics and do history as a double major, it may reflects good on you as a renaissance man of sort.

Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I've been thinking about it. What do you think the impact will be when it's on my resume? Substantial or altogether not important?

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impact on your resume will be small. It will just show you took some humanities classes.

I did a major in the liberal arts and near graduation I realized I had almost enough history classes just from other requirements and randomly taking classes that I could take one more history class and have a minor. Maybe if I was an engineering or science major it would have made me look more well-rounded, but probably not enough to actually affect any decision based on my resume.

So I guess if you almost have the requirement taken care of, you might as well, but if not, forget it, because a minor means much less than a double major. If you want to go all the way and do a double major, that might actually have some value.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably no impact on your resume.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads