• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Minnis Lambswool: How Should I Do'Em Up?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of my sportcoats are 3-roll-2s with 3 patch pockets. Wouldn't mind trying something new with these two fabrics (both are about 13 oz.).

Nothing crazy like elbow patches, but maybe envelope pockets? Any ideas? I'm lost.

002-9.jpg

003-7.jpg

kcc

Reaction score
Crescent hip pockets would be a nice touch

Grey Poupon

Reaction score
I think you're on the right path already - 3 patch is the way I would do these jackets.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
maybe envelope pockets?

Don't do it. Reconsider.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Don't do it. Reconsider.

Booo!

Originally Posted by pejsek
In a sportier vein, here's another example of Poole's handiwork--a jaunty thornproof tweed jacket from 1989:

dsc00731ju0.jpg

Flapped patch pocket:

dsc00733ph6.jpg

Leather elbow patch:

dsc00734uh9.jpg

Throat latch:

dsc00737tu7.jpg

Stag bone buttons. A little gruesome, perhaps, but just the sort of detail AngloMania celebrates. The southerners can keep their corzo:

dsc00736uh6.jpg

dsc00739lb9.jpg

sellahi22

Reaction score
How do you like the Minnis Lambswool? What are the pros/cons vs. a tweed in a similar weight?

fwiw, I would get 2 patch + 1 welt, or 2 flap pockets + ticket pocket + welt breast (straight, not hacking)

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grey Poupon
What does "swelled edges" mean?

"Whereas the very edge of a garment is typically pick stitched to keep the edge crisp and flat, a garment whose edges are said to be swelled have been pick stitched 1/4" (or so) from the edge. This can give the impression of a bit of bulk (or swell) along the edge where the seam allowances have been enclosed by the stitching. Generally seen only on sportier clothing." - jefferyd

"A swelled edge resembles a quarter-inch welt with the hint of a convex curve at the outer edge of the lapels. A lap seam on the trousers is a quarter-inch of fabric laid over another layer of the same fabric on the outer seams, both of which are stitched together rather than being turned under, butted together and stitched on the inside. Swelled edges and lap seams complement each other and are often used on tweed and cheviot suits intended to be worn in the country, whereas pick-stitched lapels and butted-seam trousers are typical of city suits." - JMB​

Also, further discussion of specific types, although photos are now gone.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks surprisingly great. I love the shape of both the patch and the flap. I've never even considered an envelope patch before seeing this.

dsc00733ph6.jpg

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
This looks surprisingly great. I love the shape of both the patch and the flap. I've never even considered an envelope patch before seeing this.

The classic, dearly departed, Brooks blazer:

606t.jpg

Note a bit of waist supression.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads