• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mink oil.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of BROWN
Alden captoes from Brooks Brothers. Since I had remaining gift credit from my Ebay purchase, I wanted to take advantage of the sale that ends today. Between the Peales and the Aldens, I actually like Alden's coloring better, and also liked the instep support they provided (the Peales provided little support, and would have exacerbated my overpronation). I should first note that, once again, I had HORRIBLE service. I was coming from home and had track pants and a t-shirt on. But I'm in good shape, and a reasonably good looking, clean cut guy. I didn't look disgusting or anything. There were maybe two people in the store, both looking at inexpensive stuff. I seriously stood by the shoes for 15 minutes, and even had two pair in my hands, waiting for help. Unbelievable. Almost drove me out of the store. Anyways, when I was picking up some new polish for them, I saw some Kiwi mink oil. It said it may darken lighter leathers. I'm wondering whether I should use it on the brown shoes. I wouldn't mind darkening the leather a bit (so to get it an even darker shade of brown), but I obviously don't want to spot them. And, honestly I don't know what mink oil ACTUALLY does for shoes. I also picked up some neutral polish for another pair of shoes I have. This got me wondering -- should you use neutral polish on the soles of the shoes? Is this just idiotic to even consider?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get brown polish for your brown shoes. Mink oil, in my experience, is solely used for rugged outdoor shoes, not dress shoes. I use mink oil, or similar goop, on my hiking boots, boat shoes, mocassins, etc. It darkens the leather because of the penetrating moisture of the substance, not because of a dye. If you want to darken them a bit, either use dark brown or dark blue polish. Blue actually does some pretty cool things to light or medium brown shoes -- if done carefully, you'll get a good antiqued effect. Once you've got the color you like, go for the neutral color.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I also picked up some neutral polish for another pair of shoes I have.  This got me wondering -- should you use neutral polish on the soles of the shoes?  Is this just idiotic to even consider?
On the soles? You mean, on the bottom, where you will then walk across carpets and slick surfaces? Or just the stacked heel and edges, or something? On the bottom does seem insane to me. On the edges, I don't know.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mink oil will definitely darken leather.

It does provide moisture protection, but you need to take special care to make sure you rub it in completely and remove all the excess residue. Mink oil residue left on the shoe will attract dirt (particularly in the crevices and cracks and lacing).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy