• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mining/Petroleum Engineers?

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here know anything about Mining/Petroleum Engineering? Am considering going to grad school for this and had a few questions!

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brother is a petroleum engineer with several patents for his company so I may have some insight. I'll help if i can

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll make good money and work in the middle of nowhere.

Is that pretty much it?

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You'll make good money and work in the middle of nowhere.
Is that pretty much it?

you may, but that is not the most common case

petroleum engineers are titled as drilling engineers, production engineers, or reservoir engineers

the first is more involved in the mechanical aspect of drilling program (i.e. HOW to drill), and the latter more academic (i.e. where to drill)
accordingly, the first is likely to spend more time on-site/at the rig (e.g. in a trailer), and the latter working from an office - with occasional rig visits

the location also varies... "middle of nowhere" could be in rifle, colorado; in the middle of the gulf; but it could also be in denver (multiple mid-majors), copenhagen (maersk), oslo (statoil), the hague or rijswijk netherlands (shell), etc.... jakarta... balipapan... luanda... kuala lumpur... good or bad its all there

pay.... extremely competitive, considering for many of these guys (reservoir engineers especially) its a 40hr workweek whereas your other 6-figure peers are pushing 60-80 hrs

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you need a PhD? I heard some story on NPR about Petroleum Engineers all getting PhD's or something.

I was thinking about finishing a masters in 2-3 years, figured it'd be the easiest way to massively increase my income and sounds like a job I'd probably like. Reservoir engineering sounds like something I'd really like, though I do also really like to travel all over the place.

Last edited:

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
absolutely not

as a generalization, common entry points into energy are: geologists MS-PhD, geophysicists BS-MS, and engineers BS-MS, weighted towards BS. (check some listings to spot this trend)

depending on the employer -- service co, mom & pop, mid-major, supermajor-- and where their assets are, you can get very little to tons of travel as an R.E.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, okay, could I get this job with just a BSCE in Geotechnical? Or is that not similar enough to a petroleum degree? I thought it'd be a good prereq for the MS but wasn't sure about job prospects with just the BS. My dad pointed out recently that my degree just says BS Engineering, after all..

WTF kind of mom and pop cos. hire RE's? :eh:

Last edited:

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting bits of info.

I was always under the impression that pet. engineers were more often in the field, and thus farther way from the head office and in the middle of nowhere. Guess I was mistaken!

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you need a PhD? I heard some story on NPR about Petroleum Engineers all getting PhD's or something.
I was thinking about finishing a masters in 2-3 years, figured it'd be the easiest way to massively increase my income and sounds like a job I'd probably like. Reservoir engineering sounds like something I'd really like, though I do also really like to travel all over the place.

Keep in mind that business travel mostly sucks. I say this not as a petroleum engineer but as a business traveller. Choose a job that lets you get out of the office at times but beware of 60-75% travel jobs. Those get old really, really fast.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
petro engineering has a very specific focus and coursework, and geotechnical engineering holders will have a much tougher - but not impossible - time to grab the same positions.

if you are already a degree holder, enroll in mspe. go for internships when available. the experience might help some should the industry turn sour.

i have a few friends who left operators to work at small shops as consultants, or performing petro economics evaluation to grade-and-trade leases

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting bits of info.
I was always under the impression that pet. engineers were more often in the field, and thus farther way from the head office and in the middle of nowhere. Guess I was mistaken!

many drilling engineers do spend a lot of time at the well site. the good thing is , at least for young single males , is the offshore rotation: consecutive weeks 'on' and weeks 'off'. that leaves a great opportunity to save money (0 expenditure), and tons of time to travel, but also a great opportunity to burn it all away

Last edited:

Ad Fundum

Reaction score
I'd like to know more about this field, although I don't know what to ask. I currently have a BS in Biology (chemistry minor) and working in an unrelated field (hospital informatics). While the field I am in is booming right now, I have a suspicion that it has a shelf life of ~ 5 years. I'm assuming they don't have 3 year masters programs for petroleum engineering? I find the field interesting because of the travel and pay but I know very little about the actual day to day work.

The highest I went in mathematics was calculus II and it tested me. I took the course in an accelerated 8 week program and found it challenging (my professor had a heavy accent so I ended up buying the solutions manual and teaching myself/recognizing trends of how specific problems were solved), I'm assuming the math required for this field will be quite a bit more complex? Can anyone tell me about the difficulty of the curriculum?

austinite

Reaction score

I'd like to know more about this field, although I don't know what to ask. I currently have a BS in Biology (chemistry minor) and working in an unrelated field (hospital informatics). While the field I am in is booming right now, I have a suspicion that it has a shelf life of ~ 5 years. I'm assuming they don't have 3 year masters programs for petroleum engineering? I find the field interesting because of the travel and pay but I know very little about the actual day to day work.

The highest I went in mathematics was calculus II and it tested me. I took the course in an accelerated 8 week program and found it challenging (my professor had a heavy accent so I ended up buying the solutions manual and teaching myself/recognizing trends of how specific problems were solved), I'm assuming the math required for this field will be quite a bit more complex? Can anyone tell me about the difficulty of the curriculum?

I'm an EE, not petroleum, so I know little about petroleum specific topics, but in most cases the math in different branches of engineering is analogous. I don't think you can project success as an engineer from a single calculus course. There are plenty of good engineers that did poorly in the first calculus class, and there are plenty of people that got A's in calculus who would get destroyed by a full engineering curriculum.

That being said, I think pretty much everyone who is an engineer at least thought that they were good at math originally. If you lack confidence before the real math classes start, that is a bad sign. Calculus, while a leap from high school level math, is nowhere near the minimum of what an engineering student must learn. If you are confiden in your ability, but simply think external factors made the class more difficult (bad professor, compressed schedule, poor work ethic, personal life issues, etc) then I would be less concerned provided that you can fix those external factors in the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads