• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mining conference coming up, what to wear?

cmrocks

Reaction score
I was hoping that someone could help me out here. Next month, I'm going to be attending a mining conference with my Dad. My Dad owns a small drilling and mineral exploration company and he has been attending this show for something like 25 years. Needless to say, he knows a lot of very important people in the industry and I want to make a good impression. I'm in university right now and I'm taking geology.

I asked my Dad what to wear and he said that it ranges right from suits all the way down to jeans and tshirts. He estimated that about 50 - 60% will be wearing suits. My Dad will be wearing a suit (one that I helped him pick out!). I don't own a suit yet and I won't be able to buy one before the show starts. I refuse to buy a cheap suit and I don't have enough money for a nice suit at this point in time.

I own a pretty nice light grey cashmere vneck and a few white dress shirts at the moment. I'll need to pick up a pair of dress pants, a new tie and some shoes. I was thinking of wearing something like this:

light grey cashmere vneck
white dress shirt
tie - blue and grey striped
dark grey dress pants
brown captoes

What do you guys think?

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Every one knows you're a student and your father's son. No reason to look like a VP if you're just learning the ropes. Just look neat and groomed, and you'll do fine. The selected outfit will do nicely I would imagine.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's admirable that you are planning to represent your father professionally.

Rather than a necktie and v-necked sweater idea without a jacket, consider wearing a mock turtleneck under the sweater, or a buttondown collar dress shirt with the top button open.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, but I actually might do black shoes (
wow.gif
) in this case to keep with the monochromatic look you have planned.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I don't have a mock turtle neck sweater at the moment. I suspose it is something I could go and pick up but I really don't like to cheap out on sweaters and I'd rather not drop a considerable amount at the moment on a sweater I probably won't wear that often.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would avoid the mock turtleneck under a vneck, IMO it's not a very young look. What you've selected is sounds very good. Although you might want to drop the tie if it seems everything is a little more casual. The most important thing is you look well trimmed, professional, and can keep up your end of a conversation by asking a lot of thoughtful questions. No one is expecting you to be wearing Brioni. Good luck!

a.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
since it is a conference of "heavyweights" that you'll probably encounter later on if you're going into that area post-graduation, this is your chance to make a good first impression. i strongly suggest a nice navy suit.

btw, whatever you wear, carry yourself with confidence, and make new acquaintances. this is a wonderful opportunity for your career later on.

btw2, may i ask what mining conference is this?

rabbimark

Reaction score
I'd suggest a nice navy blazer with your grey trousers and white dress shirt, and ditch the tie. Many, many industries are going for a tie-less look, even at the upper reaches of the executive suite. I can't remember the last time I saw a guy under 50 wearing a tie (who wasn't in court).

If you don't have a navy blazer, you can do tweed or even a nice courduroy jacket -- they'll cut you slack because you're still a student, as magoo above pointed out.

(And I second the very artfully put comment frowning on the mock t-neck under a v-neck. You don't want to look like you could sing with Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, after all ...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads