1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Minimum Pocket Square Size for Good Presentation

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Shaclark, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Shaclark

Shaclark New Member

Gentlemen,

I've seen elsewhere in the forum that back in '09 or so, members discussed preferred sizes for silk pocket squares. In general, anything from 12 to 18 inches / side seemed the collective response.

However, I am seeing many squares for sale online now indicating that they are "standard size -- 8 inches x 8 inches."

This seems awfully small to me. I understand the whole "if it's too small it will sink into the pocket," but if we can, I'd like to set that point aside and focus on the square itself.

Is an 8x8 square big enough to fold into anything respectable? Will it look insubstantial (assuming I can keep it visible)?

What is the consensus, please on the smallest a pocket square should be for a proper look (whether folded neat or poufed)?

Thanks !!

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Don't overthink this but 8 x8" is merely cheap rubbish using "standard" as a mask

3. Shaclark

Shaclark New Member

Yes, I figured as much. Unfortunately for me, the price for rubbish is about my right price. Ah, well... Next life, eh? Sincere thanks!

4. loweevan

loweevan Member

@Shaclark 8x8 is impossible. Forget anything but a puff, and even that isn't good. I don't understand, though, why you seem to think that all you can afford is an 8x8". At least it's been my experience that there are a lot of reasonably sized PSs that are just fine to be had for the price that you see those tiny things going for. Yes, they're probably not fine, hand-painted silk imported from china where a man personally gathered all of the silk by hand, but they're fine.