• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Minimalistic gym wear for repetitive use

djoctave

Reaction score
Here is the problem: I travel quite a bit and I want to work out at my hotel every day. The problem is that I sweat a lot and don't have time to clean my workout t-shirts. I have gotten the clothes I wear to a minimum:
- A pair of synthetic black adidas basketball shorts. Need to be washed bi-weekly
- A pair of old sneakers (no socks) - No need to wash
- A pair of underwear that I switch every two workouts

But the problem is with the shirt. At the end of each workout (intense) each cotton shirt NEEDS a wash. What type of shirt should I invest in? I am willing to put in a bit of money if I am going to be comfortable and not have to worry about washing it while I am @ my hotel for about 4 days.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You probably want some kind of breathable synthetic material. If you are willing to go sleeveless it will eliminate most of the sweat stains / stench.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Go to Target and pick up some of their synthetic athleticwear. You don't need cotton for that. If you get some synthetic stuff you can do a quick wash in the tub or sink of your room and let it dry between uses.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're sweating enough to require a shirt wash after every workout, you'd better believe that your ball juice-drenched underwear needs it even more. Invest in a couple more pairs. Also, without any socks, those shoes are going to smell like the devil's asshole in no time. Please never frequent my gym. In any event, microfibre clothing (Under Armour, Nike dri-fit) becomes smelly even faster than cotton, although I'm not sure how easy it is to wash in the sink/tub. Dries fairly quickly, I'd imagine, but I have nothing to back that up. I'd suggest using a cutoff tee as the poster above mentioned. I own some shirts that were advertised as bacteria-resistant and seem to do an alright job, although I've never worn them for exercising. You can probably find the equivalent in your city. http://www2.marks.com/productdetails...3FOpenDocument
This product also has FRESHTECH™ which offers the following: 1) inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungi. 2) prevents odour and fabric deterioration.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't say strongly enough that you should be wearing wool. I run in these long-sleeve tops all winter, and like all wool they are great temperature regulators, they don't smell, and you can use them several times without washing. Both smartwool and Icebreaker make non-itchy short sleeved t-shirts that don't smell, either when you are wearing them sweaty, or after a couple uses. There is also a company called Swabo that makes good stuff. You are not supposed to machine dry Icebreaker, while Smartwool does go in the dryer no worse for wear. Both are machine washable, and can go for several days (probably weeks) just hanging dry and reusing.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0...e-For-Men.html

http://www.backcountry.com/store/SWL...eeve-Mens.html

http://www.backcountry.com/store/ICE...eeve-Mens.html

I've never tried the Icebreaker boxers, but they may do well by you too.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/ICE...oxer-Mens.html

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nike DriFit.

I travel a lot too. You can rinse it out, hang it in the tub and be dry the next day. They also make a "NikeFit" synthetic, sleeveless muscleshirt that is very "slight" and folds down to nothing so you could easily packa couple. I picked up 1/2 a dozen at Sports authority for about $12 apiece.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I'd go for something designed for hiking/backpacking where the assumption is that you won't be washing your clothes every day. Numerous outdoor retailers have shirts with anti-microbacterial properties to help you avoid smelling horrible after the first day or two. Here's one example, though I think the sleeveless idea is a good one. Another option is to get something from Smartwool, as wool usually stays unstinky much longer than synthetics. You can find some light t-shirts like this one that might suit your needs. I've never worn them though, so I can't vouch for them. I'd like too try them out, but the price is a little high for me as I can wash my athletic shirts after wearing them. Also: No socks? I would think that your shoes would be smelling horrible no matter your t-shirt.

DrPat

Reaction score
I would recommend the Sahara Tech t-shirt from REI. http://www.rei.com/product/732432 It has a brushed look that makes it hard to distinguish from cotton. I find them much more appealing than the shiny athletic wear look normally associated with polyester shirts. I wear these shirts for running, snowboarding, and travel. When I travel (backpacking not business) I usually wash it each night and wear it the following day. I stay away from any tight fitting workout shirts, such as UnderArmour. If they get wet from rain or sweat, the wet material is held against the skin. I find this unpleasant in warm weather and uncomfortable in cold weather. I think the main appeal of these shirts is that people want to achieve the look of the plastic football players wearing the shirts in the stores. I wear nike athletic shorts which have a length somewhere between running and basketball shorts. I find basketball shorts too bulky and restricting since most hang below the knees. And since my competitive running days are over I don't feel the need to prance around it too-short shorts. I prefer the thin polyester socks by UnderArmour. Just make sure your socks don't have cotton in them and the toe seam does not irritate you. I find that the discount stores such as TJ Max and Ross are a good place to find non-cotton athletic socks at a discount.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
There's an answer to your question.

It's simply, Spandex! All Spandex.

Ok, that was a joke. But as well, spandex type clothing dry's really fast, that makes it a great first layer under your basket ball shorts.

Get some lightweight compression shorts to wear under you basketball shorts, they will stretch and fit you well and you can take a shower in them and hang them up and they should be dry over night.

I like under armour.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...rt/1000026-020

And get some workout shorts, not basket ball shorts *unless your playing basket ball), get some stop at the knee cap loose baggy shorts, again UA, makes great pair. It will take up less room in your luggage.

For a shirt buy a sleeveless or short sleeved baggy UA shirt one of the "loose" spandex type, they look like a regular shirt but wick the sweat well and dry really fast, you could wash it when you goto bed.

Thats what I do.......

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
coolmax - I wash it in the sink, it is dry the next morning

Eagle

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor...put on fresh duds for every workout. You will look better, feel better smell better and it really is healthier!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads