1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Minimalism (The Not Owning Stuff Kind)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by APK, May 1, 2010.

1. zissou

zissou Senior member

^That's what I always do- If I'm not sure I want to keep something, I just put it away in a closet somewhere else in the house for a few weeks. If I forget about it, or don't care about it when I find it again, then I sell/donate it. Even after doing this for a long time, I still had to get rid of a lot of stuff when I recently purchased a tiny house. It always feels good to get rid of things I don't need.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

bump for a good thread...

one of my methods, is to intentionally place items I need to make a decision on IN THE WAY. So I don't let boxes, clothes, toiletries, etc get packed away neatly in storage spaces like drawers, cabinets, or even shelves. I put cans/jars/bags on the kitchen table, so I constantly have to see them and use them up. I make a pile of clothes that I'm going to wear a few more times and toss at the season's end and put them right where I can see them. I do it so that they don't get hidden away, and also so that eventually I'm so sick of looking at this pile of whatever it is and dealing with it that I just want to get rid of it.

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

It sounds more like you are a slob but what do I know.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Interesting old thread. Still the same way for the most part, in fact I'm completing a 8' x 5' bookcase and realising that I don't actually have much to put on it.

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

no, actually pretty OCD. Everything that's in it's place is very organized. It's just that odd 10-20% of things that I'm trying to get rid of that I strategically put 'in the way' so I don't forget about them so I proactively deal with them. Slob would be an overstatement. I usually have about 2-3 piles around the house of clothes (in my room one pile), toiletries (one group on a shelf in the bathroom) and food (off to the side on a table or counter)

6. Kasekuchen

Kasekuchen Member

Well, now comes my humble opinion: Minimalism is the Art of not having unnecessary things. Its like if you are on a submarine: only take the things you really really need, and throw away those things, you dont really need for being happy. That is all.