Miller's Oath

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TRINI, May 13, 2010.

1. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

From GQ.com:

Kirk Miller"”who up until January had partnered with brother Derrick on the skull-and-crossboned shoe label/dandyish haberdashery Barker Black Ltd."”has just opened a not-to-be-missed New York store of his own. Miller's Oath, a 750-square-foot space on a tree-lined block of Greenwich Street, offers full bespoke and made-to-measure services and is "loosely based on our great-grandfather's store in Groton, South Dakota," says Miller, who cut his teeth working with Thom Browne and Paul Stuart. The store carries a collection of ready-to-wear shirts and accessories along with a line of handmade and fully customizable suits, shirts, tuxedos, trousers, and topcoats"”or, according to the man himself, "the full range of what a well-dressed gentleman should have in his wardrobe."

Open by appointment: 510 Greenwich Street, New York, NY; 212.219.9965. Suits starting at $2,700; shirts starting at $275.

Read More http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq...#ixzz0npnVaTF5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

The collars on those shirts look quite nice, but they're pretty pricey.

3. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Bump - more pics: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

[​IMG]
    Is this his entry into today's WAYWRN Blue challenge? [​IMG] Seriously, nice pics.

5. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

In all seriousness, what is different about Miller's Oath versus the 8 million other haberdasheries cropping up?

6. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

[​IMG]
    That's a neat looking jacket.
    In all seriousness, what is different about Miller's Oath versus the 8 million other haberdasheries cropping up?
    The fact that this is happening at all is a good enough reason, yes? We are, after all, on Style Forvm.

7. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

There is very little.

Basically you have a VERY knowledgeable individual who is willing to be a style/clothing guide to another person, for a fee.

8. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

The fact that this is happening at all is a good enough reason, yes? We are, after all, on Style Forvm.
    Wait what? I thought this was a comic book board!! DAMNIT! I don't disagree that having a plethora of options out there for menswear is an embarrassment of riches for us all. However, I just didn't see offhand what MO was doing specifically that was different from what places like Sid Mashburn, Epaulet, etc. have been doing for some time now.
    Basically you have a VERY knowledgeable individual who is willing to be a style/clothing guide to another person, for a fee.
    So you'd argue what we're seeing is actually an increase in personal haberdashery services to young professional men, where the menswear sold is more of an incident to the services offered?

9. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

How many of these are in New York City?

10. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

[​IMG]

Did you notice the third one from the right?

11. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

The stick-on labels on the hangers!

[​IMG]

12. GBR

GBR Senior member

Nothing very new or interesting - certainly does not justify bumping - quiet burying down below best.

13. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Did you notice the third one from the right?

Of course I did. I'm actually in NYC a couple of weeks from now so I might go check it out in person.

14. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

Most of those jackets look a little noisy to me. Mind, I'm 5'5", and have to avoid the dreaded PeeWee Herman syndrome.

Poinz

15. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I'm only a couple of inches taller than you are, and I've found (through experience) that the cut and silhouette of the jacket matter a lot more than the patterns themselves. That's not to say that you cannot have flattering patterns; just that the effect of "shortening" patterns is overrated.