1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

milk: does a body terrible?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by js4design, Mar 18, 2009.

1. whacked

whacked Senior member

Funny how the countries with the highest rates of conditions associated with low calcium consumption are also dairy consuming countries.

Again, correlation <> causation. For example, sickle cell is a genetically inherited disease prevalent in tropical and subtropical areas of Africa, where malaria also does the most damage. Your kind of "logic" will deduce that they're twin sisters (one causes another), but in fact people with sickle cell gene is more resistant to malaria.

A study covered by the NYTimes suggests that the ability to digest milk is something human acquired during the course of evolution. Cherish it.

BTW, most primates have opposable thumb.

2. unjung

unjung Senior member

Milk is awesome.

3. quevola

quevola Senior member

Humans (some, used to be all), as well as all other animals develop lactose intolerance after infancy. Technically it is not something we are supposed to drink. Animals don't eat barbecued ribs and eggs benedict because they don't have the cookware and opposable thumbs to make them. What other foods do all animals actually develop an intolerance to? There have been studies showing why milk isn't so good for you after all. jlluch touched on that, funny how no one responded.

Oh, and you're not supposed to feed cats milk for a reason.

And yes you can get sufficient amounts of calcium without dairy if you have a balanced diet. Funny how the countries with the highest rates of conditions associated with low calcium consumption are also dairy consuming countries.

Ever hear of celiac's disease, food allergies to nuts, cherries, soy, etc? Humans develop "intolerances" to a lot of substances - ask Steven Adler if you don't believe me.

Technically we're not supposed to do a lot of things, but we do. If drinking milk is the worst thing a person does, then that person is just a pussy. And any study that concludes that milk is bad for you is probably funded by some pansy vegan group [​IMG]

4. korce

korce Senior member

How about the whole raw milk debate? Check out www.realmilk.com - has alot to contribute to this debate (though they are inherently biased in their preference for raw, unprocessed, local milk). I've never had raw milk personally, and it is illegal to sell it in Ontario (I believe - there has been a case going on for a while where a farmer is being charged for selling raw milk to locals in his community that wanted to purchase it directly from him, unprocessed). At the same time, a friend of my gf's in University grey up on a dairy farm. He has drunk raw milk since he was a child and can tolerate it, but says he would never provide it to others because it would make them quite sick...

5. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

How about the whole raw milk debate?
    Check out www.realmilk.com - has alot to contribute to this debate (though they are inherently biased in their preference for raw, unprocessed, local milk).
    I've never had raw milk personally, and it is illegal to sell it in Ontario (I believe - there has been a case going on for a while where a farmer is being charged for selling raw milk to locals in his community that wanted to purchase it directly from him, unprocessed).
    At the same time, a friend of my gf's in University grey up on a dairy farm. He has drunk raw milk since he was a child and can tolerate it, but says he would never provide it to others because it would make them quite sick...

If this is any indication of their argument then that site is useless:

6. korce

korce Senior member

Agreed, but wouldn't you love to get your hands on some real natural butter, buttermilk, and unhomogenized whole milk? I don't care for the whole raw bit necessarily, but I had some excellent (whole, unhomogenized) milk from Dutchmen's Dairy while out in BC, and there is no turning back...

7. Beta

Beta Senior member

I guy I work with likes to tell me he doesn't drink milk because it thickens the skin... "how am I ever supposed to see my six-pack if I have thick skin?" Genius.

this is sort of true...but not the best description of what is happening.
    if you are trying to get shredded, milk is out.

IMO, off season, milk and eggs have given me the best weight gains of my life.
    During the summer, I don't drink it.

8. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

Right... you'll get the equivalent amount of calcium in a 8oz glass of milk from 1 pound of cooked broccoli, which by the way has over 200 calories.

"When it comes to building strong bones, broccoli's got it all for less. One cup of cooked broccoli contains 74 mg of calcium, plus 123 mg of vitamin C, which significantly improves calcium's absorption; all this for a total of only 44 calories. To put this in perspective, an orange contains no calcium, 69 mg of vitamin C, and 60-about 50% more-calories. Dairy products, long touted as the most reliable source of calcium, contain no vitamin C, but do contain saturated fat. A glass of 2% milk contains 121 calories, and 42 of those calories come from fat."

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...odspice&dbid=9

I was just pointing out that there are vegetables out there that will supply you with plenty of calcium without all the fat and extra sugar AND you'll get more vitamin C which significantly improves calcium's absorption. Milk is obviously an excellent source of calcium, but when you factor in all the other benefits of looking for veggies to supply your calcium, I think they outweigh milk. Of course the dairy industry wants you to think otherwise.

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

We all get enough calcium already from veggies and dairy. Magnesium deficiency is the problem most have, not calcium.

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

What single food are humans "suppose to eat"? We are omnivores and pretty much eat whatever we can eat. So people can drink milk, largely because whatever population their ancestors are from decided that they were "suppose to eat" milk.

there is a good argument that most of what we eat now was introduced to us after we completed 99.999 % of our evolutionary development. it is unclear how flexible our guts really are. the fact that our ansestors found that it was very econoimical to eat certain things doesn't mean that our bodies have adapted to them.

11. unjung

unjung Senior member

I think raw milk is interesting, but a lot of its advocates have the whole tinfoil hat thing going on. [​IMG]

there is a good argument that most of what we eat now was introduced to us after we completed 99.999 % of our evolutionary development. it is unclear how flexible our guts really are. the fact that our ansestors found that it was very econoimical to eat certain things doesn't mean that our bodies have adapted to them.

You mean our diet has changed within a very short evolutionary period? Agreed.

12. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

I think raw milk is interesting, but a lot of its advocates have the whole tinfoil hat thing going on. [​IMG]

You mean our diet has changed within a very short evolutionary period? Agreed.

That's true, but it applies to the majority of what we eat today, not just milk. The corn we eat today didn't exist (at least in a form most people would recognize) before agriculture in the Americas and the majority of the world hasn't been eating it very long.

13. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

There is a good reason to not drink milk. It doesn't taste good. Milk is better utilized for products that actually taste good, e.g. cheese, yogurt, ice cream, and for feeding baby veal cows. Mmm delicious.

14. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

Funny how the countries with the highest rates of conditions associated with low calcium consumption are also dairy consuming countries.

dingdingding.

http://www.vegsource.com/attwood/milk.htm

15. js4design

js4design Senior member

i started this same discussion about a month ago. when you started typing this one, mine should have popped up on your screen. it was called "milk".

i apologize. when i typed this title, nothing about milk popped up. next time i'll be more thorough.

16. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I've hear that milk (and dairy in general) can worsen acne. Can someone shed some light on this ?

17. Supertarheel

Supertarheel Well-Known Member

Strictly Cambodian Breast Milk

18. dibadiba

dibadiba Senior member

I've hear that milk (and dairy in general) can worsen acne. Can someone shed some light on this ?

most certainly makes it worse for me. i dont consume that much milk. maybe a large bowl of cereal and a glass a day. whenever i cut out milk for a few days, my skin completely clears up.

19. needler

needler Senior member

People have blamed just about everything for acne at one time or another. There are some (sadly) amusing psychological studies out there that show just how terrible people are at distinguishing causation from correlation in their personal lives due to various biases. Believe "XXX worsens my acne" at your own peril.

20. tundrafour

tundrafour Senior member

There is a good reason to not drink milk. It doesn't taste good. Milk is better utilized for products that actually taste good, e.g. cheese, yogurt, ice cream, and for feeding baby veal cows. Mmm delicious.

Agreed.