• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

milk: does a body terrible?

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GucciKid
I've experienced increased energy and performance since cutting dairy and wheat products from my diet, it certainly isn't easy to do though.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
This argument is just old and ridiculous. Humans are the only animals that eat bbq ribs, egg's benedict, drink champagne, smoke hash, watch Appreciation, use condoms, etc.....

Give a motherfuckin cat a glass of milk and see if he don't drink that sh*t up.

Humans (some, used to be all), as well as all other animals develop lactose intolerance after infancy. Technically it is not something we are supposed to drink. Animals don't eat barbecued ribs and eggs benedict because they don't have the cookware and opposable thumbs to make them. What other foods do all animals actually develop an intolerance to? There have been studies showing why milk isn't so good for you after all. jlluch touched on that, funny how no one responded.

Oh, and you're not supposed to feed cats milk for a reason.

And yes you can get sufficient amounts of calcium without dairy if you have a balanced diet. Funny how the countries with the highest rates of conditions associated with low calcium consumption are also dairy consuming countries.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I've heard the silly argument that milk (or rather, milk advocacy) is racist because certain ethnic groups can't metabolize the calcium.

I read an article in a genetics journal about this a few years ago, lactose tolerance became widespread in Northern Europeans around 4,000 years ago (which is extremely recent in genetic terms).

If PETA wants to get racist though, lactose tolerance also evolved (and did so much earlier) in a few tribes in East and Central Africa. It just never spread throughout the continent due to the lack of utility in other tribes and Africa's much higher genetic diversity.

I also believe a few east Asian populations developed it too due to prolonged interaction with yaks.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there are very good arguments against eating grain and milk - essentially food products that man starting eating after almost all evelutionary development was conplete. I dont drink milk, but consume a good amount of dairy, and consume very little grain products. I'm not fanatical about it, though. I think that all of those people who become fanatical and missionary about this kind of thing are nuts.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1

Even if you're against milk, you don't have to throw all dairy out. I think I might die without yogurt. And having a little milk in your coffee isn't going to make anyone combust.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan

If PETA wants to get racist though, lactose tolerance also evolved (and did so much earlier) in a few tribes in East and Central Africa. It just never spread throughout the continent due to the lack of utility in other tribes and Africa's much higher genetic diversity.

Those groups that lactose tolerance is high in tend to be pastoralist as well, where having tolerance would be more beneficial.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
Humans (some, used to be all), as well as all other animals develop lactose intolerance after infancy. Technically it is not something we are supposed to drink

What single food are humans "suppose to eat"? We are omnivores and pretty much eat whatever we can eat. So people can drink milk, largely because whatever population their ancestors are from decided that they were "suppose to eat" milk.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Humans (some, used to be all), as well as all other animals develop lactose intolerance after infancy. Technically it is not something we are supposed to drink. Animals don't eat barbecued ribs and eggs benedict because they don't have the cookware and opposable thumbs to make them. What other foods do all animals actually develop an intolerance to? There have been studies showing why milk isn't so good for you after all. jlluch touched on that, funny how no one responded.

Because those studies extrapolate information incorrectly and confuse causation and correlation. Like always. Animals don't eat barbecued ribs and Eggs Benedict because they're not humans and we are. And as humans, we can drink milk.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like milk, and i love ice cream. unfortunately, like most east asians, i am lactose intolerant. BOOO

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny how the countries with the highest rates of conditions associated with low calcium consumption are also dairy consuming countries.

Again, correlation <> causation. For example, sickle cell is a genetically inherited disease prevalent in tropical and subtropical areas of Africa, where malaria also does the most damage. Your kind of "logic" will deduce that they're twin sisters (one causes another), but in fact people with sickle cell gene is more resistant to malaria.

A study covered by the NYTimes suggests that the ability to digest milk is something human acquired during the course of evolution. Cherish it.

BTW, most primates have opposable thumb.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, and you're not supposed to feed cats milk for a reason.

And yes you can get sufficient amounts of calcium without dairy if you have a balanced diet. Funny how the countries with the highest rates of conditions associated with low calcium consumption are also dairy consuming countries.

Ever hear of celiac's disease, food allergies to nuts, cherries, soy, etc? Humans develop "intolerances" to a lot of substances - ask Steven Adler if you don't believe me.

Technically we're not supposed to do a lot of things, but we do. If drinking milk is the worst thing a person does, then that person is just a *****. And any study that concludes that milk is bad for you is probably funded by some pansy vegan group
smile.gif

korce

Reaction score
How about the whole raw milk debate? Check out www.realmilk.com - has alot to contribute to this debate (though they are inherently biased in their preference for raw, unprocessed, local milk). I've never had raw milk personally, and it is illegal to sell it in Ontario (I believe - there has been a case going on for a while where a farmer is being charged for selling raw milk to locals in his community that wanted to purchase it directly from him, unprocessed). At the same time, a friend of my gf's in University grey up on a dairy farm. He has drunk raw milk since he was a child and can tolerate it, but says he would never provide it to others because it would make them quite sick...

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by korce
How about the whole raw milk debate?
Check out www.realmilk.com - has alot to contribute to this debate (though they are inherently biased in their preference for raw, unprocessed, local milk).
I've never had raw milk personally, and it is illegal to sell it in Ontario (I believe - there has been a case going on for a while where a farmer is being charged for selling raw milk to locals in his community that wanted to purchase it directly from him, unprocessed).
At the same time, a friend of my gf's in University grey up on a dairy farm. He has drunk raw milk since he was a child and can tolerate it, but says he would never provide it to others because it would make them quite sick...

If this is any indication of their argument then that site is useless:
Back in the 20s, Americans could buy fresh raw whole milk, real clabber and buttermilk, luscious naturally yellow butter, fresh farm cheeses and cream in various colors and thicknesses. Today's milk is accused of causing everything from allergies to heart disease to cancer, but when Americans could buy Real Milk, these diseases were rare.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads