• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military style winter jacket for men?

uniquejake

Reaction score
Hi, help me please to find such jacket but for winter. Thank you.
16330_resized.jpg

Stinson

Reaction score
Gas or Diesel? These two brands have a similar style to that jacket

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the winter conditions like where you live? How cold? Is it rain or snow or not much of either? How much are you outside in winter? If you spend any amount of time outside in bad weather, function is more important than form. If all you do is go from car to door or winter where you're at is very mild, then it doesn't matter much.

caktaylor

Reaction score
I purchased one from a local Army Surplus store a few years ago. The coat has a removable inner liner.

uniquejake

Reaction score
What are the winter conditions like where you live? How cold? Is it rain or snow or not much of either? How much are you outside in winter? If you spend any amount of time outside in bad weather, function is more important than form. If all you do is go from car to door or winter where you're at is very mild, then it doesn't matter much.
Montreal, Canada - it's pretty cold place and windy. I need warm jacket but something good looking, slim fit probably. I had coat, not bad, but too classic style, I want to wear with jeans and backpack.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Montreal, Canada - it's pretty cold place and windy. I need warm jacket but something good looking, slim fit probably. I had coat, not bad, but too classic style, I want to wear with jeans and backpack.
So 15-20 F. I'm sorry, but I don't see a slim fit army jacket having anywhere near the necessary warmth. Not enough insullation at all. Even wool, which is naturally a better insulation for a standard material wouldn't be something I would rely on without layering in those temperatures. You're really into the insullated jacket territory with those types of temperatures. Maybe someone else has some ideas, but I don't given those weather conditions.

Pete E

Reaction score
So 15-20 F. I'm sorry, but I don't see a slim fit army jacket having anywhere near the necessary warmth. Not enough insullation at all. Even wool, which is naturally a better insulation for a standard material wouldn't be something I would rely on without layering in those temperatures. You're really into the insullated jacket territory with those types of temperatures. Maybe someone else has some ideas, but I don't given those weather conditions.

I recently got myself a Barbour *Winter* Utility Jacket just for those reasons...

I suspect is it in the process of being replaced by their New Utility Jacket, which is uninsulated so you may have to search around on line to get one. The easier way to tell which is which is that the winter version has a plain green lining, while the New Utility has a traditional tartan lining.

The Barbour International Duke jacket is another insulate/ warm jacket that is very stylish but the Winter Utility is nearer the military styling you mention.

spokebe

Reaction score

I agree. It's much too cold for that jacket in the winter in Montreal. Looking like you're trying g yo be stylish when the wind is blowing in your face at 40 kmh is not a stylish look. There are lots of great Canadian outerwear designers. Have fun looking them up and picking something that fits with your style!

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently got myself a Barbour *Winter* Utility Jacket just for those reasons...

I suspect is it in the process of being replaced by their New Utility Jacket, which is uninsulated so you may have to search around on line to get one. The easier way to tell which is which is that the winter version has a plain green lining, while the New Utility has a traditional tartan lining.

The Barbour International Duke jacket is another insulate/ warm jacket that is very stylish but the Winter Utility is nearer the military styling you mention.
you do realize where you live is like 25 degrees colder in the winter than the OP, right?

Pete E

Reaction score
you do realize where you live is like 25 degrees colder in the winter than the OP, right?

Not unless I have moved since I last looked????

OP mentions Montreal, Canada, and somebody else mentions temps of 20F to 15F which equates to -6C to -9C...

Those temps are a little colder than typical for an average winters day where I live, but not by much...Certainly during bad spells, we get those temps, but the real difference is we get a "wet cold"...Had a friend visit from that part of Canada a few years back. Although she was used to lower temps and much higher snow falls ect, it was the damp cold that she found difficult to deal with...

Personally, I would be happy to wear the Winter Utility Jacket at the temps mentioned as long as it was part of a layered clothing system and providing it was for casual use around town ect…

I would not recommend it for prolonged use at those temps or for carrying out cold weather activities where something like a decent parka would be more appropriate, but I was not getting those vibs from the OP...

Last edited:

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might consider a shearling leather flight jacket. It’s certainly military—designed to be worn by pilots in unheated cockpits or ground crews in Arctic conditions, so warm as hell.

A good one will set you back at least 1,000 USD but will last your lifetime and never go out of style.

Avoid mall and fashion brands. Check out Aero Leather, made in Scotland to authentic standards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads