• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military Style Apparel

Dips**t Coworker

Reaction score
Any recommendations on where to shop for a rugged but somewhat fashionable military look? I'm aiming for a grizzled off-duty spec ops veteran look, but the kind you'd see in movies rather than on the streets or in a homeless shelter. Think Steve McQueen or Lee Marvin.

I also want a more tailored look, not baggy and ill-fitting. I'm 5'9 (barefoot), 155 lbs with an athletic build and a 30 inch waist. Thanks in advance.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll probably like Nice Collective.

Dips**t Coworker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NaTionS
You'll probably like Nice Collective.

I just looked at their website and that's definitely close to what I'm looking for. Do you know of any online retailers? The selection on the website was pretty sparse, not to mention expensive.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice collective and Nomme de Guerre are carried by a few retailers - check the stickied thread or do a google search. As for price... well... you're probably not going to find em cheap.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Collective is almost always overpriced and overdesigned.

Cloak (sadly defunct now) is basically the height of military-inspired menswear and can be found on eBay, Y!Japan and B&S on here and Sufu, SZ or Styleguise. Robert Geller who is formerly of Cloak is more widely available and has some nice pieces though he is very hit or miss.

It's also not a bad idea to get genuine vintage military and then maybe have it tailored. I'm doing some fun things with an Israeli army jacket and some vintage Soviet Bloc stuff right now. Label Under Construction did some really cool stuff with vintage Italian military fabrics but it is very pricey. Atelier and Darklands have some of it I believe.

Dips**t Coworker

Reaction score
Thanks. So I just noticed that I should've asked this in one of the sticky threads. Won't make that mistake again.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dipshit Coworker
Thanks. So I just noticed that I should've asked this in one of the sticky threads. Won't make that mistake again.

I;m sure it's been discussed before but it's an interesting enough topic that it merits it's own thread. Military influence is one of the most common aspects of menswear and you'd be hard pressed to find a brand that doesn't at least have a few militaristic pieces.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dipshit Coworker
What's my crime?
Basically, asking other people to do your research for you - the analogy used in the past is standing in the middle of a library yelling out questions you could answer if you opened a couple of the books. However, people are feeling charitable today apparently so you're in luck. FWIW my winter streetwear wardrobe is pretty close to what you're looking for.

Re: NiCo, I think Magician is a little harsh on them but he is not a fan of the brand generally; they have had more misses than hits especially lately but there are some serious diamonds in the rough out there. Use the B&S.

Dips**t Coworker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I;m sure it's been discussed before but it's an interesting enough topic that it merits it's own thread. Military influence is one of the most common aspects of menswear and you'd be hard pressed to find a brand that doesn't at least have a few militaristic pieces.

I agree, it just seems that a lot of brands will ruin whatever they have going for them by plastering logos all over the place. See G-Star. So whenever I find something I like that's affordable, its usually tainted be some small design error.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch out for trendvictimhood though, military "influence" is blowing up fast-fashion stores like express and H&M (epaulets, epaulets everywhere) and, IMO, is reaching the level of ubiquity that comes before "played out".

FWIW, it was unseasonably freezing one day a few weeks ago in NYC and all I saw were wool M65's.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is wrong with the M65, as a jacket, in a color other than green?

8751.jpg

*edit: I guess the above point covers this. **** I don't live in NYC didn't know this was getting big.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads