1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Military Ribbon

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chris E., Sep 15, 2006.

1. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I served in the Marine Corps and had been out for a few years by the time I got married. My fiance's father was a Vietnam-era Navy Commander, my father and one of my uncles were Korea vets, me and quite a few of my friends had served in places like Iraq, Afghanistan, and Kosovo. There was a good representation of both active duty and veterans on both sides of the aisle. We even had a special wedding greeting done by one of my former bosses, the recently retired General Peter Pace (my bride's father contacted him unbeknownst to me; I was just a lowly Corporal at the time I worked for him and the more I learned about his political leanings after working for him, the less I wanted to do with him, but that's another story...). Our wedding also happened to fall on Veteran's Day weekend (totally unplanned... the facility we wanted the reception at was booked solid our first two choices).

To make a long story short... I wore a few selected miniature medals on my tuxedo. To wear everything I rated would have looked pretty silly. Not because I have a fruit salad like Chesty Puller but because I think the miniatures in general look weird. Maybe it's because we're just not used to seeing them. We encouraged the active duty and the veterans attending to do the same and had quite a good response of folks participating along with a few Marines, Sailors, and even a couple chAir Force active duty in their dress uniforms.

In reality, I don't think a few miniature medals would look too busy with a flower and pocket square. I wore four medals and a small, simple flower - no pocket square.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012