• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

military officer and police belts

dutchguy

Reaction score
I like wide and heavy leather belts such as worn by military and police officers. One of my favourite belts is a 2,25" wide sam browne police belt. I do have a couple of those in both black and brown, and like to wear them in my jeans. G-star jeans for example have belt loops that take such a wide belt. I also have some 2 - 2,5" wide European officer belts with a two claw buckle.
Anybody else who likes the same type of belts? What do you think about wearing wider belts? Do you think it is appropriate to wear this belt and does it look OK to you?
I attached a picture with a sam browne belt I wear for casual use.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's a really big belt. where do you get jeans with those size loops?

dutchguy

Reaction score
I always try to find jeans that have belt loops that are big enough to take such a big belt. 'G-star' and 'Chasin' have some models that take belts up to 6 cm or 2.25 inches, so a police or sam browne belt fits and fills up the whole belt loops. Here in Europe there seems to be a trend for jeans with wider belt loops again. However most casual belts for guys aren't wider than about 1.75" or so.
Belt loops on levis and many other brands are smaller, the widest belt that fits in my 501 is a 2 inches wide officer belt.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
My Levis Capital E 'stacked skinny' have some of the tallest loops I've seen so far, around 2.5"

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wide black "garrison" (aka "cycle") belts had a certain vogue at my prep school almost 50 years ago.

Western belts with large, garish buckles have a following among devotees of Western wear.

I have a slew of River belts and similar gunbelts. Wearing a belt of this type to keep the trousers up strikes me as very bizarre and eccentric. Customarily, such belts are worn outside the belt used to keep the trousers up and are secured to the latter with keepers.

IMO, for town wear, any belt wider than 1 3/8 inches starts to look pretty eccentric. I don't care for any narrower than 1 inch unless you are striving for a "retro" (late 50s, early 60s)look.
For outdoor wear, particularly if you're packing a gun, sheath knife, etc., wider belts have their utility.

dutchguy

Reaction score
Referring to JLibourel, it may look eccentric, but if jeans have very wide belt loops there must be a purpose for them. And I personally like the look of a wider and heavier belt. You don't really find any civil belts that are wide then 1 3/4 inches. I think today it is quite normal to wear something eccentric.
I agree, for outdoor use those belts have their purpose. I normally wear a Sam Browne belt for outdoor activities, outside, secured with beltkeepers with flashlight, a knive and some other tools.

By the way, this discussion was posted in two diferent categories, let's continue here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=15494

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads