• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military? Maybe? Advice/Opinions please.

ryanlvv

Reaction score
I'm thinking about enlisting in the Marines or Army.
I am currently going to school for Accounting, (Junior).
Unfortunately, I did something stupid and stole from the university bookstore and got myself a nice Theft III. (Awesome)

Not sure you can be an accountant with a theft charge? or in fact get any kind of job with that charge.

Anyways,
I'm in great shape, got a 80 on my AFQT, haven't taken the ASVAB yet.

I'm not totally against the idea of a little sabbatical from school to really figure out what I wanna do.
I think it would be great to serve my country for a few years (2-6) then get out expunge my record? Boom.
Plus God knows how much student loan debt I already am in. (Independent student)

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does your recruiter know you have a theft conviction? The military is no longer an indiscriminate employer of people with criminal records. They'll look the other way on some things, but they are a lot more strict than they have been in years past.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm thinking about enlisting in the Marines or Army.
I am currently going to school for Accounting, (Junior).
Unfortunately, I did something stupid and stole from the university bookstore and got myself a nice Theft III. (Awesome)
Not sure you can be an accountant with a theft charge? or in fact get any kind of job with that charge.
Anyways,
I'm in great shape, got a 80 on my AFQT, haven't taken the ASVAB yet.
I'm not totally against the idea of a little sabbatical from school to really figure out what I wanna do.
I think it would be great to serve my country for a few years (2-6) then get out expunge my record? Boom.
Plus God knows how much student loan debt I already am in. (Independent student)
Thanks ahead of time.

Fixed for you. good luck

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the Marines and Army are more lax in their standards than say the Air Force, but you should make sure they'll look past the theft charge. IDK man.

ryanlvv

Reaction score
Yeah, I have to go through the waiver process.

Thanks for the correction.

-The man on the low horse

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
go for it.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the ****? Going to make a huge decision because you have a petty theft rap, is that even the charge?

On second read of your post, sounds like you want change. I say take leave of absence from school and figure things out. Don't join anything yet.

Last edited:

ryanlvv

Reaction score
Well I'm getting charged Theft III and Malicious Mischief III; Monday is my arraignment. This "event" took place over 8 months ago though, so we'll see how things turn out.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope one of the ambulance chasers on here chime in. I don't know where you are at, but here in overcrowded prison America, a petty thing like that isn't even worth the court's time if you have no previous record. Mellow out. Don't do anything irrational.

Last edited:

ryanlvv

Reaction score
Well, I don't think I will go to jail or anything. I'm sure that the malicious mischief will drop, I had to google it:

(1) A person is guilty of malicious mischief in the third degree if he or she:

(a) Knowingly and maliciously causes physical damage to the property of another, under circumstances not amounting to malicious mischief in the first or second degree; or

(b) Writes, paints, or draws any inscription, figure, or mark of any type on any public or private building or other structure or any real or personal property owned by any other person unless the person has obtained the express permission of the owner or operator of the property, under circumstances not amounting to malicious mischief in the first or second degree.

(2) Malicious mischief in the third degree is a gross misdemeanor.

Which I believe is a BS charge trying to set me up for a plea agreement.

I'm just thinking in bigger terms. I'm going to have to work to put myself through college. I'm pretty sure the only jobs I could get right now (where I live) are retail, cashier, etc. I don't think anyone is going to be hiring with a theft on their record.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people that join because they freak out, thinking they have no other options and regret joining the service. It's not an overnight decision.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
To your first question, Army or Marines? You know that Army stands for Ain't Ready for the Marines Yet. It's not a choice really. It is either the Marines or don't waste your time. A felony conviction could very well make it impossible to get in so I would try to get that down to a misdemeanor. I would even mention your plans to the judge and ask for leniency so you can still join, if that is the path you choose.

As to the other stuff, I went in on the Early Entry Program after graduating high school at 17. I saved all of my money while I was in and used it when I got out to buy a car (cash) and pay for my first two years of college where I got my AS degree in Physics, graduating on the President's List, the highest honors at NIC. 4 years in the Marines with a tour of duty in Iraq helped me put things into perspective while saving a whole lot of money. If you live on base, eat at the mess most of the time, and don't waste money on booze, it is pretty easy to save a lot of money.

I then transferred to a four year college and activated my GI Bill. I will graduate with a BS in Physics without any debt, without working a side job, and still be able to go to two years of graduate school, getting my Masters Degree, before I will ever have to worry about how to pay for it. If I go for my Doctorate in Physics, which I intend to do, I will have worked on projects at school, receive grants, scholarships, earning money that way, and will likely only have to take out minimal student loans, if any.

It is not a bad way to go, but I suspect I will be in the minority here. Oh, and it really doesn't matter how great of shape you are in, they will still kill you in boot camp. It is not about getting into shape, it is about submitting to authority so the sooner you accept that the easier it becomes. In any event, not a decision to take lightly, but I think it can be a very good decision under the correct set of circumstances. Good luck whatever you decide.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I'm getting charged Theft III and Malicious Mischief III; Monday is my arraignment.

Get a (private) lawyer immediately, it's often quite easy to drop a petty charge like this if you have representation that'll give the prosecution a hard time.

Last edited:

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't make a major commitment like that because you are freaking-out about a pending court case. Wait till the dust settles and see how you feel and if any service will take you.

Yes, it sucks that you are about to be punished by the court, but keep in mind the defense force is is far more strict in punishing thieves and the unofficial punishment you can expect from your sectionmates if you steal from them will make you wince. Something to think about.

Last edited:

ryanlvv

Reaction score
Yes, I would rather go Marines about 100 times more than Army, but most of all I'd just like to serve the US of A. I'm looking at the PLC program but I don't know if I'd be disqualified because of criminal record.

I started making some phone calls out to some lawyers for them to get back to me on quotes. Hopefully, I can get set up on a payment plan? Money is tight around the holidays.

And JustinW,
I don't make a habit out of theft, it was very out-of-character for me. I would say I absolutely hate thieves, but considering this mess I'll avoid being hypocritical. Although I don't feel any remorse for removing a CD that probably cost a few dollars to make, and save me $400 on a textbook for a class I didn't even end up taking during summer semester. Theft is wrong, lesson has been learned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads