• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military? Maybe? Advice/Opinions please.

ryanlvv

Reaction score
Well I think it was arranged between my lawyer and the prosecutor. During my arraignment all we did was set it back a bit so I can show a receipt of payment. Then I get an informal dismissal or a more formal one called compromise of misdemeanor or something along those lines. Hopefully the least informal way.

Last edited:

ryanlvv

Reaction score
After talking to the Marine Recruiter, it seems my biggest issue is my tattoo because they are going hard on that policy right now.

makushin

Reaction score

no matter what a recruiter tells you, you will not be able to go Recon with a misdemeanor conviction on your record, let alone a felony. You will need a minimum of a TS clearance to go into Recon and you will not be able to obtain that with nearly any conviction on your record - especially any conviction as recent as this one that you are up against.

You can get TS clearance with a non-traffic misdemeanor conviction. There might be a hangup with the Marines, but it is not because of inability to get TS clearance. The Army will work with it, and once out of the Army with the TS clearance the feds will certainly work with it if you have the desired skillset. It is actually not that big of a deal depending on the nature of the incident.

To the OP: give the Army consideration. It might not be as glamorous as the other branches, but there are some opportunities in the Army that can be hard to come by elsewhere. If you have the head for it, I would highly recommend signing up with the linguist MOS for something like Farsi or Urdu. Also the new GI bill is worth a lot. It can be a great way to go.

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

After talking to the Marine Recruiter, it seems my biggest issue is my tattoo because they are going hard on that policy right now.

what kind of tatoo do you have that the marines wouldn't take you?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

what kind of tatoo do you have that the marines wouldn't take you?

They've changed regs within the past 4-5 years that cracks down on tattoo's. Not sure what they are exactly, but they are very very strict compared to past rules

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They've changed regs within the past 4-5 years that cracks down on tattoo's. Not sure what they are exactly, but they are very very strict compared to past rules

seriously? are we talking any tats? hate tats? nudes? over the line? I just don't get it. it seems that a lot of military people in the states have a lot of tats. jsut curious

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

seriously? are we talking any tats? hate tats? nudes? over the line? I just don't get it. it seems that a lot of military people in the states have a lot of tats. jsut curious

Quick google search:

http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcasyuma/Pages/20100204tattoo.aspx#.TxGio4FHj9o

This is a big departure from what was allowed. There are a lot of unhappy Marines out there.

I really enjoyed some of the tattoos my friends had. My favorite was a smiley face on his big toe. If he was KIA when they put a toe tag on him they'd know he had a sense of humor. He had a few others that were pretty funny,

Last edited:

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"In addition to the already prohibited head and neck, Marines cannot get tattoos or brands on their hands, fingers, wrists or inside their mouths, according to Marine Administrative Message 29/10 released Jan. 15, 2010.

Both commissioned and warrant officers are now limited to four tattoos or brands visible when wearing the standard physical training uniform, according to the new policy"

"The new policy also clarified the size of any tattoos visible in PT uniforms cannot be larger than the wearer’s hand with fingers extended and joined and the thumb touching the base of the index finger. The 2007 policy was vague on the size, stating only that very large tattoos or collections of smaller tattoos covering all or most of a person’s arms or legs – also called sleeve tattoos – were unauthorized."

"Additionally, any enlisted Marine who had grandfathered sleeve tattoos can no longer apply for any Marine Corps commissioning or warrant officer programs. "

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also limitations on what is visible in PT gear.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"In addition to the already prohibited head and neck, Marines cannot get tattoos or brands on their hands, fingers, wrists or inside their mouths, according to Marine Administrative Message 29/10 released Jan. 15, 2010.
Both commissioned and warrant officers are now limited to four tattoos or brands visible when wearing the standard physical training uniform, according to the new policy"
"The new policy also clarified the size of any tattoos visible in PT uniforms cannot be larger than the wearer’s hand with fingers extended and joined and the thumb touching the base of the index finger. The 2007 policy was vague on the size, stating only that very large tattoos or collections of smaller tattoos covering all or most of a person’s arms or legs – also called sleeve tattoos – were unauthorized."
"Additionally, any enlisted Marine who had grandfathered sleeve tattoos can no longer apply for any Marine Corps commissioning or warrant officer programs. "

Who on earth has a tattoo inside their mouth?

Ketawa

Reaction score
Just throwing out a thought - the Coast Guard. Same benefits as enlisting in the other branches, with a much greater quality of life. You'll never be stationed overseas, you'll always be in a coastal area, and gone for about 3-4 months at a time on the big cutters. Their tattoo policies were actually made more lax in the last few years, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score

Just throwing out a thought - the Coast Guard. Same benefits as enlisting in the other branches, with a much greater quality of life. You'll never be stationed overseas, you'll always be in a coastal area, and gone for about 3-4 months at a time on the big cutters. Their tattoo policies were actually made more lax in the last few years, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

The CG hasn't been recruiting out of recruiting stations for over a year, last I knew... and besides... puddle pirates?

Hoo-freakin-ah, Go Army

ryanlvv

Reaction score
I have a tattoo that wraps under my collarbone and goes shoulder to shoulder, as seen below.

Warning: Male Upper Body Nudity.

I guess the problem is that the tips reach the upper parts of the shoulder.

Last edited:

dune

Reaction score
Or maybe the problem is that it's such a ****** tattoo?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads