1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Military? Maybe? Advice/Opinions please.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ryanlvv, Dec 8, 2011.

1. ryanlvv

ryanlvv Well-Known Member

That's a viable problem in itself, gotta love being an idiot 17 year old.

2. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Coast Guard can indeed get stationed overseas. I know that the Coast Guard handled quite a bit of the day-to-day port and harbor security in Iraq during the conflict there as well as some patrolling of the navigable waterways going inland. There are also small air detachments in Newfoundland, Guam, Italy, Midway Island, Wake Island, and I think in Guantanamo, Cuba.

Additionally, even if you are stationed stateside, you might not always be in a coastal area. The Coast Guard has a heavy presence in the Great Lakes (unless you consider that coastal) as well as Grand Prairie and El Paso, TX; Louisville, KY and I'm sure I'm forgetting some places.

3. cahlersmeyer

cahlersmeyer Senior member

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  4. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

There are some people stationed in PATFORSWA, but those billets are very competitive. You don't go there unless you want to.

Good point though about the Great Lakes and inland areas, there's some river tenders I think on the Mississippi, maybe other places. Ultimately though I think it's easy to avoid those places if you choose the right rate, and as a whole, the locations are better than in the other branches.

5. ryanlvv

ryanlvv Well-Known Member

I didn't even know the Coast Guard was recruiting?

Cahlersmeyer,

Do you happen to know anything about all the TRADOC schools you can go to in the Army and how it works?

6. cahlersmeyer

cahlersmeyer Senior member

As in, Rangers, SF, SERE, SAPPER, SNIPER, HRT, MOUNTAIN, etc?

7. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

I haven't read the whole thread as I only want to make one unrelated comment. In my military days in the early 80s on RAF Regiment Airborne, the fittest, most skillful and most professional US troops I worked with in training and on exercises were the US Army Rangers. And I worked with Army Airborne, USAF CSP and USMC. But the Rangers were way out in front in terms of stamina and skill. Those guys were as good as the Royal Marines.

8. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, what do ex-officers of infantry, armoured corps and communications think their comission has done for them trying to find civilian jobs?