• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military? Maybe? Advice/Opinions please.

ryanlvv

Reaction score
I'd like to say that I can handle it, but anyone on the internet can say that.

On the other hand, I'm pretty optimistic person, I never give up, I'm always trying to better myself, when I used to wrestle or if I do MMA now I'll usually just get choked all the way out unconscious or almost have my arm broken instead of tapping.( I don't think that's the smartest thing but I can't give up on myself if there is still even a little bit of a chance.)

So I'd like to say I can adjust to the mental state needed, plus I haven't lived the poshest or easiest life already.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd like to say that I can handle it, but anyone on the internet can say that.

On the other hand, I'm pretty optimistic person, I never give up, I'm always trying to better myself...

Every once in a while, one of my nephews will have a friend who is leaving for boot camp (or a son/daughter niece/nephew of a coworker ) and they bring them to see me and get my advice about what to expect. And basically what I bolded above is what I tell them. Go in with a positive attitude and stay optimistic. Ninety-five percent of boot camp in the Marines is the Drill Instructors trying to break you down mentally and basically beat the idea of teamwork into you (and I imagine it's the same in the other services). As Grayland said, any idiot can learn to do some pull-ups and I'll even go a bit further and say that any idiot can do a forced march with the weight on his back. The folks that don't make it through training are the ones who get all depressed and think the DIs are out to get them and/or cannot learn to shut up and follow directions (there will be time for voicing your opinion once you are out in the fleet).

I'll also second what Grayland said about Recon Marines not having to go through Ranger school. Occasionally some will go off to Ranger school for additional training, but that is the exception, not the rule. The Marines that do go to Ranger school are ones that have usually completed their Recon training and been in the one of the Recon Battalions for some time and are being rewarded with the opportunity for some additional specialized training.

dune

Reaction score
One of the things that I regret most in life that is I couldn't even try to join the Marines (Belgian, no permanent visa of any kind) - business school was the second option for me. Good luck.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember going through a moment when I wanted to enlist. I contacted the air national guard but never heard from a recruiter. I took it as a sign and never considered the military again.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They aren't called the chAir Force for nothing!

LOL. We called them the Royal Australian Air Farce and the RAF Ground Defense Pretend Soldiers were the chAirborne Rangers.

On the scale of like to dislike in the Australian army, it went something like this:

RAN
NZ Defense Force
Brit Army
USMC
Brit Navy
American army
American Air Force
Australian Air Farce

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Throw urself on the mercy of the court....

Liet

Reaction score
The Army made a big deal about a couple traffic violations I had to go along with a briefly suspended driver's license. Granted, this was for commissioning, but I was really surprised that it was such a hurdle.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score

when I used to wrestle or if I do MMA now I'll usually just get choked all the way out unconscious or almost have my arm broken instead of tapping

If you join the military, this is one of the first things the DS/DI is gonna beat out of you. Live to fight another day....

Being in the Army, obviously I'm biased. However, go Infantry, don't waste your time being a P.O.G., nobody's grandchildren want to hear the story about how their grandpa spent 15 months in some war torn country as a 12 Kilo plumber, or a 25 Mike "multimedia illustrator" or worst yet, 68 Romeo "food safety inspector."

I'm in a program where I spend my college time in the NG, then transfer out to Active Duty.

Honestly, I made the rash decision to join in the middle of my junior year of college, but I love it and haven't looked back. I can't imagine doing another job. To quote Jamie Foxx in Jarhead, "I love this job. I thank God for everyday he gives me in the Corps (Army in my case)"

In any case, its easy as **** to get a waiver in either the Corps or Army. While true, we aren't really recruiting much right now, since you have college credits, you're worth more to the service with a theft charge than some high school drop out with a GED and a theft charge.

ryanlvv

Reaction score
Well, thank goodness I hired a lawyer!

I just had to pay the cost of the textbook to the bookstore, and my case is being dismissed!

Best news I think I could have gotten, no trouble and I feel resolved of my guilty conscience.

Going to talk to a Marine Recruiter within the week, just found out there actually is one in my town, almost drove a few hours to a different station the other day.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, thank goodness I hired a lawyer!
I just had to pay the cost of the textbook to the bookstore, and my case is being dismissed!
Best news I think I could have gotten, no trouble and I feel resolved of my guilty conscience.
Going to talk to a Marine Recruiter within the week, just found out there actually is one in my town, almost drove a few hours to a different station the other day.

Nice. Good luck.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long is the training for US Marine officers? Best of luck with it, don't piss on any dead bad guys.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trying to sound snarky, but do you think the lawyer helped you settle it this way? Or did you just get a judge who noticed there was no reason for this type of thing to go any further?

Just curious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads