1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Military? Maybe? Advice/Opinions please.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ryanlvv, Dec 8, 2011.

1. cahlersmeyer

cahlersmeyer Senior member

If you join the military, this is one of the first things the DS/DI is gonna beat out of you. Live to fight another day....

Being in the Army, obviously I'm biased. However, go Infantry, don't waste your time being a P.O.G., nobody's grandchildren want to hear the story about how their grandpa spent 15 months in some war torn country as a 12 Kilo plumber, or a 25 Mike "multimedia illustrator" or worst yet, 68 Romeo "food safety inspector."

I'm in a program where I spend my college time in the NG, then transfer out to Active Duty.

Honestly, I made the rash decision to join in the middle of my junior year of college, but I love it and haven't looked back. I can't imagine doing another job. To quote Jamie Foxx in Jarhead, "I love this job. I thank God for everyday he gives me in the Corps (Army in my case)"

In any case, its easy as shit to get a waiver in either the Corps or Army. While true, we aren't really recruiting much right now, since you have college credits, you're worth more to the service with a theft charge than some high school drop out with a GED and a theft charge.

2. ryanlvv

ryanlvv Well-Known Member

Well, thank goodness I hired a lawyer!

I just had to pay the cost of the textbook to the bookstore, and my case is being dismissed!

Best news I think I could have gotten, no trouble and I feel resolved of my guilty conscience.

Going to talk to a Marine Recruiter within the week, just found out there actually is one in my town, almost drove a few hours to a different station the other day.

1 person likes this.
  3. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Nice. Good luck.

4. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

How long is the training for US Marine officers? Best of luck with it, don't piss on any dead bad guys.

5. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Not trying to sound snarky, but do you think the lawyer helped you settle it this way? Or did you just get a judge who noticed there was no reason for this type of thing to go any further?

Just curious.

6. ryanlvv

Well I think it was arranged between my lawyer and the prosecutor. During my arraignment all we did was set it back a bit so I can show a receipt of payment. Then I get an informal dismissal or a more formal one called compromise of misdemeanor or something along those lines. Hopefully the least informal way.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  7. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

If the marines won't take you, you can always join the french foreign legion...

8. ryanlvv

After talking to the Marine Recruiter, it seems my biggest issue is my tattoo because they are going hard on that policy right now.

9. makushin

makushin Senior member

You can get TS clearance with a non-traffic misdemeanor conviction. There might be a hangup with the Marines, but it is not because of inability to get TS clearance. The Army will work with it, and once out of the Army with the TS clearance the feds will certainly work with it if you have the desired skillset. It is actually not that big of a deal depending on the nature of the incident.

To the OP: give the Army consideration. It might not be as glamorous as the other branches, but there are some opportunities in the Army that can be hard to come by elsewhere. If you have the head for it, I would highly recommend signing up with the linguist MOS for something like Farsi or Urdu. Also the new GI bill is worth a lot. It can be a great way to go.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

what kind of tatoo do you have that the marines wouldn't take you?

11. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

They've changed regs within the past 4-5 years that cracks down on tattoo's. Not sure what they are exactly, but they are very very strict compared to past rules

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

seriously? are we talking any tats? hate tats? nudes? over the line? I just don't get it. it seems that a lot of military people in the states have a lot of tats. jsut curious

13. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Quick google search:

http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcasyuma/Pages/20100204tattoo.aspx#.TxGio4FHj9o

This is a big departure from what was allowed. There are a lot of unhappy Marines out there.

I really enjoyed some of the tattoos my friends had. My favorite was a smiley face on his big toe. If he was KIA when they put a toe tag on him they'd know he had a sense of humor. He had a few others that were pretty funny,

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  14. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

"In addition to the already prohibited head and neck, Marines cannot get tattoos or brands on their hands, fingers, wrists or inside their mouths, according to Marine Administrative Message 29/10 released Jan. 15, 2010.

Both commissioned and warrant officers are now limited to four tattoos or brands visible when wearing the standard physical training uniform, according to the new policy"

"The new policy also clarified the size of any tattoos visible in PT uniforms cannot be larger than the wearer’s hand with fingers extended and joined and the thumb touching the base of the index finger. The 2007 policy was vague on the size, stating only that very large tattoos or collections of smaller tattoos covering all or most of a person’s arms or legs – also called sleeve tattoos – were unauthorized."

"Additionally, any enlisted Marine who had grandfathered sleeve tattoos can no longer apply for any Marine Corps commissioning or warrant officer programs. "

15. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Also limitations on what is visible in PT gear.

16. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Who on earth has a tattoo inside their mouth?

17. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

Just throwing out a thought - the Coast Guard. Same benefits as enlisting in the other branches, with a much greater quality of life. You'll never be stationed overseas, you'll always be in a coastal area, and gone for about 3-4 months at a time on the big cutters. Their tattoo policies were actually made more lax in the last few years, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

18. cahlersmeyer

cahlersmeyer Senior member

The CG hasn't been recruiting out of recruiting stations for over a year, last I knew... and besides... puddle pirates?

Hoo-freakin-ah, Go Army

19. ryanlvv

I have a tattoo that wraps under my collarbone and goes shoulder to shoulder, as seen below.

Warning: Male Upper Body Nudity.

[​IMG]

I guess the problem is that the tips reach the upper parts of the shoulder.

20. dune

dune Senior member

Or maybe the problem is that it's such a shitty tattoo?