• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military jacket with dress clothes

armaniwang07

Reaction score
Last fall I bought a black Paul Smith military-style jacket with breast pockets. It's so great, I often leave it on in the office over my dress clothes. Is this okay, or am I inviting ridicule?

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
post pics? i do like these kinds of jackets as well.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by armaniwang07
Last fall I bought a black Paul Smith military-style jacket with breast pockets. It's so great, I often leave it on in the office over my dress clothes. Is this okay, or am I inviting ridicule?

Is it a Sergent Pepper's jacket or a more fashion forward type of military jacket?

We need pics...

What kind of work are you doing?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Flicks please...

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score

a conservatively-cut military jacket that happens to have an epaulette here and there is OK.

jackets with complicated zippers that serve no obvious function, flaps, logoed patches, and big ornamented buttons are best reserved for the club -- or the battlefield.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Take this with a grain of salt...I have no credibility as a fashion guru....

I have a high quality WWII reproduction Ike jacket that I often wear almost as a short sport coat--with expensive wool dress pants, spit shined black shoes, silk tie, etc. It looks very snappy in my opinion.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Take this with a grain of salt...I have no credibility as a fashion guru....

I have a high quality WWII reproduction Ike jacket that I often wear almost as a short sport coat--with expensive wool dress pants, spit shined black shoes, silk tie, etc. It looks very snappy in my opinion.

Pictures?

I always wanted to get a Saharienne from the Foreign legion...

They look great...

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
Do you have pics?
5086.gif

No, I don't...I thought maybe I had but I don't take many photos of myself. No pretense to sartorial splendor, I guess. But they look like this (except better when pressed). I like it especially with a chocolate shirt and a red tartan tie. My trousers are almost a fawn coloured wool, so for me at least, the overall effect is harmonious.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I always wanted to get a Saharienne from the Foreign legion...They look great...

So, it must be the uniform not Gary Cooper that got Marlene interested:

morocco1.jpg

So much that she abandons in the final scene her high-heeled shoe to follow him barefoot into the desert:

morocco.jpg

glowell222

Reaction score

What's wrong with a little ridicule?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glowell222
What's wrong with a little ridicule?

It is all right if you're a dictator because it is part of the job requirements...

As a normal Joe , you can only pull it off if you have the right age ,look and attitude..

Kazou

Reaction score
armaniwang07 do you HAVE ANY original questions? What's with ALL your cut and paste questions from GQ??

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DeanCorso
muammar-gaddafi_dictator-costume.jpg

It all depends on the message you want to send.

I'm a modest trustworthy changed dictator ready to do business with everybody...

wetnose

Reaction score
Actually trenchcoats do have military origins (what do you think the flap on the shoulder is for) so there's a precedent...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads