• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milanese on Google Street View.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to be in Italy next week buying for HowardYount.com, so today I was looking up a few directions. I accidentally clicked one of the turns on google, and up popped street view. First thought: Hey, random Italians looking rather classic. Next thought: What the hell? Is that guy in witness protection? I guess google is doing this now.
milanStreetView1.jpg
milanStreetView.jpg

Mexicorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
haha, that's random

I think Google tries to obscure anyone's face that can be recognized, though.

Yes shortly after google started streetview people complained that they could be seen on the service (Would be a little sad to be immortalized walking out of a XXX shop or walking into their mistress's apt). Now facial detection software pics out any face and blurs it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that makes sense depending on the country's laws. I'm not a lawyer but in some countries (e.g. France), people have sole rights to their own image ("droit à l'image") and can request that their pictures may not be used in publications. Reading a gossip mag in France is quite interesting as it is loaded with mandatory inclusions (sometimes taking a large part of the cover) of lawsuits that the magazine lost by invading celebrities' privacy (in public places).

I would guess that Italians have something similar and can request the blurring of their face.

Apparently, Google Maps is quite a complex organization with lawyers and geopolitics experts. There was an article in Monocle about the difficult issues of naming and drawing borders for contested lands and territories throughout the world.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That photo is hilarious! Who would of known that would be the first image you'd come across.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads