1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Milan: Brief Thoughts (also now featuring Naples reports)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Phenomenal write-up, thank you.

2. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Good write up. Where did you stay there? Did you do capri?

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I stayed at Hotel Majestic, which was nice and well-located. Hotel Alabardieri seems to be the other main option. I unfortunately didn't get to go to Capri or Pompeii...I hope to see both on a future visit, perhaps when it's not so infernally hot.

4. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

August/September better

5. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I heard the place is abandoned in August. I go to Napoli in March/April and September/October.

6. unbelragazzo

Almost every Italian city is evacuated in August. I would bet shops like Cappelli are closed in August, perhaps even bigger operations like Rubinacci.

7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Not true, been there in Aug and September- all open, and saldi galore

8. unbelragazzo

Ah, well...you should have bet me then :) It's possible that this rule holds more in the north and for cities that aren't already on the beach.

9. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

gets a bit chilly here in August certainly.

My, and most other cities close down in terms of factories etc in August but of course the shops are open generally, chains etc . Many families escape the concrete heat of the cities - away to various (typically) Italian beaches. The roads are gloriously empty...
    There are some exceptions for family-owned places and restaurants, particularly off the tourist trail. My favourite trattoria closed two weeks ago till September. Porca troia!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  10. davesmith

[​IMG] Now that is a summer holiday!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  11. ksakke

ksakke Well-Known Member

Thanks for your account! I'll be going on vacation on Amalfi coast and Capri for two weeks soon and I'm planning to do some shopping in Naples, too. Any other pointers? I guess it's saldi time, right? What about the language barrier as I don't speak Italian?

12. Musella

Musella Senior member

What kind of shopping are you planning? If you pass by Milano and you want to make a made-to-measure suit or jacket, don't forget to pay a visit to our Atelier:
    http://sartoriaitalianagm.wordpress.com/

13. unbelragazzo

Sounds lovely! I suppose it's around sales time, yes. I actually don't really know about the language barrier since I spoke Italian the whole time. I know Patrizio Cappelli speaks English, since he wrote his email to me in English. Mina and Dino speak English. But if you find yourself without a common language, just try hand gestures and unless you're looking for something complicated you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Another pointer is to read the writeups that Derek has done for the StyleForum blog - especially if you're looking for more mid-range stores.

14. unbelragazzo

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

This is what I do on StyForum.

Sometimes, even a single finger works.

1 person likes this.
  16. dfoverdx

dfoverdx Senior member

I was in Milan for two days. It was not a great shopping experience. Got two shirts from Kiton store at 40%. The price was still much more than virtualclotheshorse. The good thing is the sales man shared his insights about shirt and jacket sleeves length. He told me that there's a proper shirt sleeve length (that he took measurements) and for the jacket sleeves however there's no rule, it's a personal thing... which, in my opinion, makes sense.
    I don't know if Italians should wear socks or not in the summer but in my opinion, they should try to be more respectful to each other.

17. unbelragazzo

As my earlier picture indicated, my Cappellis came in a few days ago. I got the package something like 10 days after I made the order, which is obviously fantastic turnaround time. Here they are all together:

[​IMG]

I'm very happy with my fabric choices. In the spoiler you can see some of the various construction options, ranging from three fold to seven fold, one unlined.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Cappelli tie has quite a distinctive silhouette. The outline is more curved and bottle-like rather than straight. Here I've laid one out next to a Drake's and a Hober so you can see the difference:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. davesmith

Speechless!! [​IMG]

You make me miss Napoli BIG TIME!! At least I live in London now so I can make Pitti as well [​IMG]

19. unbelragazzo

20. Musella

Musella Senior member

Nice, I like this tie, will wait for the others to be matched :)